Automated Ball-Strike System in 2024

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

It will still be an art at every level below professional ball. I hate umpires that can be duped by a catcher anyway.

Modern catchers are very good at receiving and making close pitches look like strikes. The movement is so subtle, I really don't blame the umps for getting fooled. 

56 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Modern catchers are very good at receiving and making close pitches look like strikes. The movement is so subtle, I really don't blame the umps for getting fooled. 

Well, the Umpires shouldn't be watching the glove for the call. Track the ball over the plate and call it. I can understand missing a call low, but missing high, inside or outside shouldn't happen by the margins that it does.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 7:15 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

With the out of control egos of some of the really bad Umpires, I fully expect more balk calls from them. They'll need to find a way to interject themselves into the game.

Immediately thought of your post after reading this...

Marlins pitcher Richard Bleier getting called for 3 balks in one at-bat is so ridiculously funny (msn.com)

3 balks in one at-bat?!?  Come on, man.  Seriously?  

I looked up the pitcher's stats...he's been in 305 games!  And never had a balk called on him before.  I'm not saying the guy's infallible, but nobody just forgets how to pitch during an at-bat.  After the second balk was called and reacted to, I'd almost guarantee you the third one was called just out of spite.

38 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Marlins pitcher Richard Bleier getting called for 3 balks in one at-bat is so ridiculously funny (msn.com)

I looked up the pitcher's stats...he's been in 305 games!  And never had a balk called on him before.  I'm not saying the guy's infallible, but nobody just forgets how to pitch during an at-bat.  After the second balk was called and reacted to, I'd almost guarantee you the third one was called just out of spite.

Wow!!!

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

The automated ball/strike system will not eliminate this.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, TribeTime said:

After watching this Reds game tonight…

Bring ‘em on. 

That was hard to watch at times.  I'm not a fan of the automated strike zones.  I don't have a good reason, I just like some of the old school that baseball has held on to for a while.  With that said, automated strike zone would have really favored the Reds tonight, which I do like.  So I guess I'll just see how it plays out.  

On 6/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, Jumper_Dad said:
Some impressive work by the catchers there.  To be fair, most of those pitches were very close.  It's got to be hard to call 95mph pitches all the time.  Most of those in the video had a lot of movement.  They started over the plate and moves off at the last split second.