Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

49ers 26 Bengals 23 OT

Featured Replies

  • Author
40 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I place no blame for this loss on the coaching staff.   Fact is, player mistakes cost this team a win.  That's not on Taylor.

We’ll disagree, this is on the players and Taylor, you turned Burrow loose until we got to the 24, easily I might add, if he had kept turning him loose the Bengals score easily, we were playing against 49ers 4th and 5th string CBs.   By the way, Taylor said in his press conference, “running it twice instead of sticking with Burrow’s hot hand will keep me awake tonight”

no joke Zac!!!

I had this game as a loss when looking at the schedule a few weeks back. The 49ers defensive front against our oline is a big mismatch. That Chargers game is the one that bugs me.

This team's season is being defined by one thing - turnovers. Turnovers are always the most important stat in a football game, especially in the NFL. The Bengals are -4. Only 7 teams are worse. 

9 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

We’ll disagree, this is on the players and Taylor, you turned Burrow loose until we got to the 24, easily I might add, if he had kept turning him loose the Bengals score easily, we were playing against 49ers 4th and 5th string CBs.   By the way, Taylor said in his press conference, “running it twice instead of sticking with Burrow’s hot hand will keep me awake tonight”

no joke Zac!!!

All coaches do that.  Not just Taylor.  Fact is, it they don’t muff 2 punt returns. They win. 

34 minutes ago, The Raven said:

All coaches do that.  Not just Taylor.  Fact is, it they don’t muff 2 punt returns. They win. 

IMO the play that cost them the most was Vonn Bell opening his mouth on what would have been a fourth down field goal attempt.  Not even involved in the play and gets a “mouthing” penalty.  I said at that time this would come back to haunt them.

11 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

C’mon FC, he has been terrible all year, I think those were his 3rd and 4th fumbles, running backwards and sideways on returns, I still say any other head coach would’ve replaced him long ago

When besides yesterday has he dropped a punt this year? Also as for returning look around the league, let’s not act like all these teams have big punt returners. It’s honestly seems to be pretty rare these days to find teams having someone who is a true threat to return punts. So yes I agree he hasn’t done much with his returns, but also until yesterday he also wasn’t giving the ball to the other team. So no, all other coaches wouldn’t have made a change before yesterday, because the only time you really see coaches make changes during the season. Is if their punt returner starts dropping the punts, which is what he did yesterday. 

11 hours ago, The Raven said:

I place no blame for this loss on the coaching staff.   Fact is, player mistakes cost this team a win.  That's not on Taylor.

Did the mistakes of two players Phillips and Bell cost them the game? Yes. That also doesn’t change the fact that even with those mistakes. The Bengals did come back to put themselves in position to win, and then Taylor going conservative then also possibly cost them the win. Both things can be true. 
 

It can also be said that it truly is a real possibility that Taylors play calling as a whole is holding the offense back some. Taylor and his offensive philosophy seems to be reactive, and goes plainly by the book on well if we have a light box we will run it. Even in a game like yesterday when the run was not working all game. Instead of being aggressive and trying to dictate how they play, Taylor basically allows the defense to dictate how the Bengals offense will play. 
 

Taylor as the head coach I think has done a very good job overall. Taylor as the play caller is the one I consistently have doubts on and is the one I question. 

Bates dropped what would have been a pick-six walk-off.  I would love to see the Bengals win a couple of these kind of games.

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

When besides yesterday has he dropped a punt this year? Also as for returning look around the league, let’s not act like all these teams have big punt returners. It’s honestly seems to be pretty rare these days to find teams having someone who is a true threat to return punts. So yes I agree he hasn’t done much with his returns, but also until yesterday he also wasn’t giving the ball to the other team. So no, all other coaches wouldn’t have made a change before yesterday, because the only time you really see coaches make changes during the season. Is if their punt returner starts dropping the punts, which is what he did yesterday. 

With our offense, I'm not concerned about someone being a true threat to return one.  What I want...scratch that...need...is someone to recognize the situation.  Is it a line drive kick?  Is it a hanger?  Did he boom one? Where are you set up at to begin with? We need a smart decision maker.

On kickoffs, it seems like we've brought kicks out and barely make it to the 15.  Given that we don't have a Devon Hester back there, you need to be sure you're going to get to the 25.  No need to force something that isn't there.  And then add in the factor of a flag possibly being thrown on a return.  I'm fine with downing every kickoff and taking it at the 25.

And on punting, the decision making has seemed iffy as well.  It seems like far too often we've had punts fair caught not only inside the 10, but at the 5.  Fair caught!  Why?!?  It's one thing if you're going to return it...but, to do a fair catch?  I just don't understand it.

Now is this on the player, or Simmons, or even Taylor?  I don't know.  But, the player is the only one that touches the ball, so even the best coaching in the world can't actually make the play.  The Bengals return team needs to have the same mantra as doctors have...do no harm.  Yesterday that was magnified by the muffs, but it's not something that's come out of nowhere this season.

  • Author
5 hours ago, futurecoach said:

When besides yesterday has he dropped a punt this year? Also as for returning look around the league, let’s not act like all these teams have big punt returners. It’s honestly seems to be pretty rare these days to find teams having someone who is a true threat to return punts. So yes I agree he hasn’t done much with his returns, but also until yesterday he also wasn’t giving the ball to the other team. So no, all other coaches wouldn’t have made a change before yesterday, because the only time you really see coaches make changes during the season. Is if their punt returner starts dropping the punts, which is what he did yesterday. 

Checked his records, he’s had 2 other fumbles on punts this year, that coupled with running backwards and sideways and the kickoff fiasco where he didn’t know what to do and grabbed it at the 1 yd line would’ve had him replaced

  • Author
6 hours ago, The Raven said:

All coaches do that.  Not just Taylor.  Fact is, it they don’t muff 2 punt returns. They win. 

No, all coaches don’t do that, it’s mostly the ones that are leading their division that turn their QB loose and win the game there instead of playing not to lose for a FG

  • Author
1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

With our offense, I'm not concerned about someone being a true threat to return one.  What I want...scratch that...need...is someone to recognize the situation.  Is it a line drive kick?  Is it a hanger?  Did he boom one? Where are you set up at to begin with? We need a smart decision maker.

On kickoffs, it seems like we've brought kicks out and barely make it to the 15.  Given that we don't have a Devon Hester back there, you need to be sure you're going to get to the 25.  No need to force something that isn't there.  And then add in the factor of a flag possibly being thrown on a return.  I'm fine with downing every kickoff and taking it at the 25.

And on punting, the decision making has seemed iffy as well.  It seems like far too often we've had punts fair caught not only inside the 10, but at the 5.  Fair caught!  Why?!?  It's one thing if you're going to return it...but, to do a fair catch?  I just don't understand it.

Now is this on the player, or Simmons, or even Taylor?  I don't know.  But, the player is the only one that touches the ball, so even the best coaching in the world can't actually make the play.  The Bengals return team needs to have the same mantra as doctors have...do no harm.  Yesterday that was magnified by the muffs, but it's not something that's come out of nowhere this season.

Really good points here!

  • Author
5 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Did the mistakes of two players Phillips and Bell cost them the game? Yes. That also doesn’t change the fact that even with those mistakes. The Bengals did come back to put themselves in position to win, and then Taylor going conservative then also possibly cost them the win. Both things can be true. 
 

It can also be said that it truly is a real possibility that Taylors play calling as a whole is holding the offense back some. Taylor and his offensive philosophy seems to be reactive, and goes plainly by the book on well if we have a light box we will run it. Even in a game like yesterday when the run was not working all game. Instead of being aggressive and trying to dictate how they play, Taylor basically allows the defense to dictate how the Bengals offense will play. 
 

Taylor as the head coach I think has done a very good job overall. Taylor as the play caller is the one I consistently have doubts on and is the one I question. 

Agree here completely FC

2 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

With our offense, I'm not concerned about someone being a true threat to return one.  What I want...scratch that...need...is someone to recognize the situation.  Is it a line drive kick?  Is it a hanger?  Did he boom one? Where are you set up at to begin with? We need a smart decision maker.

On kickoffs, it seems like we've brought kicks out and barely make it to the 15.  Given that we don't have a Devon Hester back there, you need to be sure you're going to get to the 25.  No need to force something that isn't there.  And then add in the factor of a flag possibly being thrown on a return.  I'm fine with downing every kickoff and taking it at the 25.

And on punting, the decision making has seemed iffy as well.  It seems like far too often we've had punts fair caught not only inside the 10, but at the 5.  Fair caught!  Why?!?  It's one thing if you're going to return it...but, to do a fair catch?  I just don't understand it.

Now is this on the player, or Simmons, or even Taylor?  I don't know.  But, the player is the only one that touches the ball, so even the best coaching in the world can't actually make the play.  The Bengals return team needs to have the same mantra as doctors have...do no harm.  Yesterday that was magnified by the muffs, but it's not something that's come out of nowhere this season.

All those things you mentioned is things you see almost every team do. You see teams have guys return kicks Out of the end zone that they shouldn’t. You see guys on other teams also fair catching punts at the 5. I think many not to realize the whole set feet at the 10 and let it go over your head days have been gone for awhile now, it seems to be the 5 now. 
 

I completely agree with you on the recognition thing, but I’m just pointing out it’s not just a Bengals thing. 

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Checked his records, he’s had 2 other fumbles on punts this year, that coupled with running backwards and sideways and the kickoff fiasco where he didn’t know what to do and grabbed it at the 1 yd line would’ve had him replaced

Yesterday was the first time he muffed any punts I’m sure. He has fumbled while returning after catching it but I don’t believe he lost them. You don’t see guys get replaced for that though. Each week you see guys from teams returning kicks they shouldn’t or going no where on a punt. The thing that gets people benched though is straight dropping punts. Until yesterday he hadn’t done anything to where many teams would have benched him. Especially when the options behind him are limited to begin with. 
 

With that said now that he has muffed those punts, you can’t put him back out there. You can’t chance that now this year, after he was a big reason you lost a game. 

This team is a much better road team than at home.  Makes one wonder what's going on night before the game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.