Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Ashland

Featured Replies

BCStorm, I don't think Coach Hart needs your justification to put Matt at QB. He's doing what he get paid to do and that is COACH HIS TEAM, not yours.

  • Replies 88
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BCStorm, I don't think Coach Hart needs your justification to put Matt at QB. He's doing what he get paid to do and that is COACH HIS TEAM, not yours.

Touchy aren't we?! I happen to agree with BCStorm and MBWC41 on the Matt at QB issue.

I don't believe Poplin ever started a game for Ashland.

 

I've been to a few practices and every practice I come away with a different opinion on the team. The defense has a few kids who can make some plays but they are very weak at the LB spot. The secondary looks to be pretty good with a few players who got some playing time last year, and the D line looks ok with Bonner and Nethercutt at DE's.

 

I haven't watched much offense but it seems the coaches are trying to get Matt out of the pocket and pressuring the Defense to either commit to him running of throwing on the run.

 

You are probably right about Poplin, but he did get significant playing time.

 

My opinion of the team keeps changing too - mostly that they are improving.

On this issue with Matt at QB, he's a terrific athlete, been in the system so it's not like he's ignorant to the scheme. He'll be fine, and will make it a nightmare to gameplan for if he leaves the pocket IMO.

On this issue with Matt at QB, he's a terrific athlete, been in the system so it's not like he's ignorant to the scheme. He'll be fine, and will make it a nightmare to gameplan for if he leaves the pocket IMO.

 

I think Matt will be fine at QB also. I think his first few games are going to be a little rough. Most varsity QB's spend their Freshman,Sophomore and sometimes Junior years learning from the QB who started over them. Matt has a lot to learn and not too much time to learn it. In my opinion QB is the one spot on offense where athleticism can only take you so far. The measure of a QB eventually comes down to his reaction time and decision making.

 

I agree with you spindoc, defensive coaches should spend the entire game hoping he doesnt leave the pocket and scramble for 20 or 30 yards on them. Matts athletic ability will make it tough for any oposing coach to form a solid game plan.

I personally think that Thomas would be very good at the QB position. A coach usually wants one of if not his best athletes at that position and he certainly would have that. One thing that I am sure of is that Coach Hart knows football and how to coach the game, he knows his team and what they can or cannot do. I really don't think that Coach Hart needs any advice on what to do with his team ;) . I look for Ashland to be very good regardless and should Thomas be at QB they would be able to hurt a team in a lot of different ways. JMO

 

I can honestly say that I hope everything jells and comes together for the Tomcats after they rebound from a week one losss. Good Luck to my Tomcat friends after Aug. 24th.. :D :thumb:

On this issue with Matt at QB, he's a terrific athlete, been in the system so it's not like he's ignorant to the scheme. He'll be fine, and will make it a nightmare to gameplan for if he leaves the pocket IMO.

:thumb: :thumb:

BCStorm, I don't think Coach Hart needs your justification to put Matt at QB. He's doing what he get paid to do and that is COACH HIS TEAM, not yours.

 

Wow, definetly touchy...

 

No one was bashing Thomas, just questioning a position change after a strong career at RB to this point. Thomas is athletic no doubt and should know the system...but how much is the system going to change with him at QB?

...but how much is the system going to change with him at QB?

 

 

Oh, I’d say a lot – it’ll be “tailor made”. So just go ahead now; and throw away your old game plan for Ashland. :D

 

 

... I can honestly say that I hope everything jells and comes together for the Tomcats after they rebound from a week one losss. Good Luck to my Tomcat friends after Aug. 24th.. :D :thumb:

 

 

Thanks for the well wishes - right back at you, I hope the Rams win all of their games except the first one. :thumb:

 

This year's untested Tomcats can’t afford an opening loss. I look for them to come out starving to prove something – fighting like a wounded, cornered animal.

 

 

 

Time will tell - I can’t wait to see it unfold.

Matt will be just fine at QB. His biggest problem at first was his arm and his inability to make a good throw. Since the passing scrimmages he has GREATLY improved this. He makes great reads and throws the ball to the open reciever. Putting him at QB also gives him more open field opportunities which is obviously his strong point. We've got some good running backs to take his place and moving him to QB is just helping the team. I think Ashland is going to surprise a lot of people this season.

 

BTW does anyone know when the Independent's football preview comes out?

Matt will be just fine at QB. His biggest problem at first was his arm and his inability to make a good throw. Since the passing scrimmages he has GREATLY improved this. He makes great reads and throws the ball to the open reciever. Putting him at QB also gives him more open field opportunities which is obviously his strong point. We've got some good running backs to take his place and moving him to QB is just helping the team. I think Ashland is going to surprise a lot of people this season.

 

BTW does anyone know when the Independent's football preview comes out?

 

I was curious about that as well.

 

Ashland is Ashland. They are a program with a lot of tradition and pride. I expect the Tomcats to put forth a strong team that isnt going to back down to anyone. I cant wait for the JC/Ashland matchup this year. Should be a dandy, and I personally hope that this becomes our new Rivalry with some much on the line each time this two teams meet. Good luck Tomcats, except that game with the Eagles at "The Nest".

BTW does anyone know when the Independent's football preview comes out?

 

I was curious about that as well.

 

Normally, if I am not mistaken, it comes out the Sunday before the season starts.

Does anyone know when meet the CATS is? And who are they scrimmaging this year an when?

They scrimmage Campbell County this Saturday at Campbell County and at Mason County the following Saturdat i believe.

Normally, if I am not mistaken, it comes out the Sunday before the season starts.

Last year it published on Thursday, August 17th. This year it should hit homes on Thursday 16th. :ylsuper:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.