Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5th year Seniors...

Featured Replies

How many players that came back for a 5th year of football leave school as soon as their season is over or don't return after Christmas?

Talking to a friend and he said on his son's team that two 5th year Seniors never returned to school after their last game.

I know some will stay for baseball, basketball and other sports, but for the football only kids...why would they stay in school?

11 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

How many players that came back for a 5th year of football leave school as soon as their season is over or don't return after Christmas?

Talking to a friend and he said on his son's team that two 5th year Seniors never returned to school after their last game.

I know some will stay for baseball, basketball and other sports, but for the football only kids...why would they stay in school?

Interesting question. Back when this reclassification topic first came up many were adamant that no one was taking advantage of the new rule just for sports(football) that is was for academic, social, etc. reasons. If that was true, why would they NOT come back to school after football??

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

How many players that came back for a 5th year of football leave school as soon as their season is over or don't return after Christmas?

Talking to a friend and he said on his son's team that two 5th year Seniors never returned to school after their last game.

I know some will stay for baseball, basketball and other sports, but for the football only kids...why would they stay in school?

If I was just playing football, I wouldn't be back after season over so don't blame them.

9 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

Interesting question. Back when this reclassification topic first came up many were adamant that no one was taking advantage of the new rule just for sports(football) that is was for academic, social, etc. reasons. If that was true, why would they NOT come back to school after football??

Yeah, right. I guess some might stay, but I would imagine many may just enroll in college in January, especially scholarship guys. They can take part in spring practice.

14 hours ago, 9068 said:

Yeah, right. I guess some might stay, but I would imagine many may just enroll in college in January, especially scholarship guys. They can take part in spring practice.

It's really no different than when seniors graduated early to enroll in college so this makes sense.

26 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Yeah, right. I guess some might stay, but I would imagine many may just enroll in college in January, especially scholarship guys. They can take part in spring practice.

The scholarship guys of course it make sense. There are probably more of the non scholarship guys though across the board I would think. 

3 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

The scholarship guys of course it make sense. There are probably more of the non scholarship guys though across the board I would think. 

I would really like to know the total number of students that took the extra year, if some transferred if their local board did not offer the option, and how many participated in extra curriculars/athletics. Would be interesting.

You look at the teams with “re-do” players and tell me if they would have moved on and graduated, would their team(s) be in the big stage next week? Honest question and I’m not here to downplay a kids ability. Just saying since the topic of “how many 5th year players are still playing”.

4 hours ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

You look at the teams with “re-do” players and tell me if they would have moved on and graduated, would their team(s) be in the big stage next week? Honest question and I’m not here to downplay a kids ability. Just saying since the topic of “how many 5th year players are still playing”.

Which teams still in it have “re-do” players that have the biggest impact on their teams success? I’m not familiar with all the teams still playing, but for sure Belfry with Dixon and Beechwood with Hergott would be in that discussion. 

1 minute ago, BlueKernels said:

Which teams still in it have “re-do” players that have the biggest impact on their teams success? I’m not familiar with all the teams still playing, but for sure Belfry with Dixon and Beechwood with Hergott would be in that discussion. 

Boyle’s QB is a re- do and is an impact player. And in my honest opinion, those great programs you mentioned would NOT be where they are without those re-do. Good luck to all 12 teams.

9 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Which teams still in it have “re-do” players that have the biggest impact on their teams success? I’m not familiar with all the teams still playing, but for sure Belfry with Dixon and Beechwood with Hergott would be in that discussion. 

Russellville has 8 second year seniors. Two of them played their first senior season at Logan County then transferred to Russellville.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, BlueKernels said:

Interesting question. Back when this reclassification topic first came up many were adamant that no one was taking advantage of the new rule just for sports(football) that is was for academic, social, etc. reasons. If that was true, why would they NOT come back to school after football??

Football falls under both academic and social reasons. You learn as much on the football field as in the classroom both academically and socially. Nothing wrong with just playing football and moving on. However, I do think you should finish out the year, except in certain circumstances, like you have a scholarship offer and can start practicing this spring. 

15 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

Which teams still in it have “re-do” players that have the biggest impact on their teams success? I’m not familiar with all the teams still playing, but for sure Belfry with Dixon and Beechwood with Hergott would be in that discussion. 

 

14 hours ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Boyle’s QB is a re- do and is an impact player. And in my honest opinion, those great programs you mentioned would NOT be where they are without those re-do. Good luck to all 12 teams.

In Beechwood's case, they would be in the title game without Hergott. Hergott doesn't play defense and Beechwood's defense is a huge reason why they are in the title game. I don't think the first team defense has allowed 10 first downs in the entire playoffs including the game against Mayfield. With the line and other skill players on the roster, no doubt in my mind Beechwood is in the title game without Hergott. It would definitely be different and more difficult because Hergott is a great player, but Beechwood's roster is loaded and deep. Everyone would be talking a lot more about Beechwood RB Mitchell Berger without Hergott as Berger would be getting a lot more carries. He went for 187 yards against Mayfield. 

West Carter had 4 seniors and four sophomores apply.  They were denied access to the opportunity.  I don’t know how many east carter kids were interested, but they were denied by 3 board members as well.  

17 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

 

In Beechwood's case, they would be in the title game without Hergott. Hergott doesn't play defense and Beechwood's defense is a huge reason why they are in the title game. I don't think the first team defense has allowed 10 first downs in the entire playoffs including the game against Mayfield. With the line and other skill players on the roster, no doubt in my mind Beechwood is in the title game without Hergott. It would definitely be different and more difficult because Hergott is a great player, but Beechwood's roster is loaded and deep. Everyone would be talking a lot more about Beechwood RB Mitchell Berger without Hergott as Berger would be getting a lot more carries. He went for 187 yards against Mayfield. 

Probably , who would be playing QB though? And the defense is definitely is helped out by Beechwood’s ability to control the ball on offense. I think it speaks more to how incredibly weak 2a is outside of beechwood and lca than anything. 
 

Although, without Cam there likely would have been 1 or 2 losses that would have dropped the rpi, forcing a game with Lca before the finals. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.