Conner at Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/13/2021 at 12:00 AM

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Conner was better in the early 80's, does anyone know if Conner and CCH played then?

Yes they did. And from my memory Conner was pretty good. Believe they won the 3A State Championship in 1983. Had Melvin Miles and Greg Spencer leading the way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Conner was better in the early 80's, does anyone know if Conner and CCH played then?

4 minutes ago, punttheball said:

Yes they did. And from my memory Conner was pretty good. Believe they won the 3A State Championship in 1983. Had Melvin Miles and Greg Spencer leading the way. 

1980: Conner 40 CovCath 0

1981: Conner 12 CovCath 0

1982: CovCath 24 Conner 0

1983: Conner 22 CovCath 15 (Cougars were 3A champs and beat CovCath, Highlands, and Beechwood all three that year)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, punttheball said:

Melvin Miles and Bryan Shotwell but not Greg Spencer. 😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

1980: Conner 40 CovCath 0

1981: Conner 12 CovCath 0

1982: CovCath 24 Conner 0

1983: Conner 22 CovCath 15 (Cougars were 3A champs and beat CovCath, Highlands, and Beechwood all three that year)

I played for Beechwood in 1983, Conner beat us on a punt return for a TD by Bryan Shotwell with 34 seconds left in the game. 

• Like 2

Just now, colonel-fan said:

Were you on the punt team defense?

I was.  In the huddle before the punt Coach Barre told our punter to kick the ball out of bounds but the punt when straight down the field, it was a very good punt, just not out of bounds.  Anyone that has punted knows how difficult it can be to be precise with a punt.

And since you asked, I had contain on my side of the field, Shotwell went the other direction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/10/2021 at 10:09 AM, The Double Deuce said:

Agreed.  Eugene Luke, Chad Johnson (did he go to Walton AND Boone?), and Greg Ashcraft were 3 of the most dominant youth athletes I've ever seen.  

I reached out to John Dunhoft for comment on this post and he told me in part:

Eugene was so far advanced when it came to football at his age for the Erlanger Lions where he was an amazing athlete, went on to Lloyd and played 4 years on Varsity and was just hell to bring down. Great guy who would do anything for anyone especially family and players. Eugene just passed this summer as he fell down his basement stairs and broke his neck. Gone way to soon.

Chad Johnson coaches with Bob Myerhoff at Boone County High Baseball. I only met him when he started coaching baseball however another great young man.

I don't remember Greg Ashcraft. But from what I hear Chad was awesome baseball player.

• Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, theguru said:

I was.  In the huddle before the punt Coach Barre told our punter to kick the ball out of bounds but the punt when straight down the field, it was a very good punt, just not out of bounds.  Anyone that has punted knows how difficult it can be to be precise with a punt.

And since you asked, I had contain on my side of the field, Shotwell went the other direction.

Throughout the bolded section, I fully expected that to finish with you being the punter lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

I reached out to John Dunhoft for comment on this post and he told me in part:

Eugene was so far advanced when it came to football at his age for the Erlanger Lions where he was an amazing athlete, went on to Lloyd and played 4 years on Varsity and was just hell to bring down. Great guy who would do anything for anyone especially family and players. Eugene just passed this summer as he fell down his basement stairs and broke his neck. Gone way to soon.

Chad Johnson coaches with Bob Myerhoff at Boone County High Baseball. I only met him when he started coaching baseball however another great young man.

I don't remember Greg Ashcraft. But from what I hear Chad was awesome baseball player.

Man.. sucks to lose anyone, but especially that way. 

Coach Myerhoff actually moved on and became the head coach at Lloyd. I believe he made that move the year that we lost baseball to Covid. 

37 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Throughout the bolded section, I fully expected that to finish with you being the punter lol.

I punted some my junior and senior years (mostly my junior year) and I was a sophomore on that team.  When I said it was a very good punt that eliminated me as the punter. 🙂

Even though it was a tough loss I was at Conner's state championship game and rooted hard for them to win.  I have a lot of friends from Conner and knew that when we played Conner in football it was on like Donkey Kong.

Anywho, getting back to the game this week.  Does anyone think Conner will win?  I don't.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

I punted some my junior and senior years (mostly my junior year) and I was a sophomore on that team.  When I said it was a very good punt that eliminated me as the punter. 🙂

Even though it was a tough loss I was at the Conner's state championship game and rooted hard for them to win.  I have a lot of friends from Conner and knew that when we played Conner in football it was on like Donkey Kong.

Anywho, getting back to the game this week.  Does anyone think Conner will win?  I don't.

No, no and no!  

Cov Cath wins easily....even if they perform at 75% of what they did last week they win....

• Like 3