Grass Fields

1Forrest1

Watching and seeing photos of some games Friday on grass fields. Brings me back to when I played PeeWee. Playing in the rain and mud was what I loved most about football. I hope some of the schools who have grass fields keep them. Some of my favorite memories are on grass aka muddy fields. Especially on Newport’s field before the turf 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Socially Distanced said:

Do schools still have grass fields? 

We(Mercer County) are at home Friday, Alvis Johnson Stadium vs. DeSales, 7:30 pm. We have a great bermuda surface. Come down to the field, say hello, check it out. 

If you have been on a better grass surface, I will be surprised. Chad Asbury does a super job with all of our fields, game and our two practice fields (also bermuda). 

I am old, but definitely prefer a quality bermuda surface to anything artificial. No comparison.

• Like 1

FWIW, if my numbers are correct, there are 140 Kentucky high schools with grass fields, 81 with turf fields, and 2 that share fields with another school that has turf (Newport Central Catholic/Newport; Covington Holy Cross/Thomas More College).

62% with grass, 38% with turf. I suspect those numbers will continue to even out over the next decade.

• Like 3

I would guess the majority of the small schools still have grass. If you look through the 1A bracket, I think at least 20 of the 32 schools have grass fields, probably more like 25. In 2A, I think more than half have grass fields.

In N. Ky., here are schools with grass fields:

Dayton

Bellevue

Ludlow

Lloyd

15 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

FWIW, if my numbers are correct, there are 140 Kentucky high schools with grass fields, 81 with turf fields, and 2 that share fields with another school that has turf (Newport Central Catholic/Newport; Covington Holy Cross/Thomas More College).

62% with grass, 38% with turf. I suspect those numbers will continue to even out over the next decade.

All the JCPS schools except Ballard have grass. They are supposed to be slowly adding turf fields over next several years.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

All the JCPS schools except Ballard have grass. They are supposed to be slowly adding turf fields over next several years.

Makes sense for JCPS to do that, although I'm sure cost will be prohibitive. I'd like to see them start with turf at places like Shawnee, Western, Seneca, and Iroquois. That would bring a lot of pride to places that often get left behind in Louisville.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I would guess the majority of the small schools still have grass.

The number of schools with turf fields breaks down about the way you probably would expect:

Class 1A – 6

Class 2A – 13

Class 3A – 11

Class 4A – 15

Class 5A – 19

Class 6A – 19

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If you look through the 1A bracket, I think at least 20 of the 32 schools have grass fields, probably more like 25.

The only schools in Class 1A with turf are: Betsy Layne, Bishop Brossart, Campbellsville, Hazard, Newport Central Catholic, and Pikeville.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

You are listing the number in each class with turf, right?

Yes. Sorry, wasn't real clear. Also, I included Newport Central Catholic and Covington Holy Cross in the above list, even though they don't have their own stadiums.