Weather issues and schedule changes

BEChargers

Beechwood at Lloyd Memorial moved to 7:00pm kickoff tonight.
Grayson County vs. Ohio County moved to 7:00pm kickoff tonight.
South Oldham at Seneca moved to 7:00pm kickoff tonight.
South Warren at Christian County moved to 7:00pm kickoff tonight.
Butler at St. Xavier moved to 7:30pm kickoff tonight.
Central Hardin at Meade County moved to 7:30pm kickoff tonight.
Montgomery County at Scott County moved to 7:30pm kickoff tonight.

Eastern vs. Ballard moved to 6:00pm kickoff.
Great Crossing at Frederick Douglass moved to 6:00pm kickoff.
Kentucky Country Day at Franfort moved to 6:00pm kickoff.
Metcalfe County at Adair County moved to 7:00pm kickoff.
Somerset at Lexington Christian moved to 6:00pm kickoff.
Trinity vs. St. Mary's (MO) moved to 6:00pm kickoff.
Woodford County vs. Collins moved to 6:01pm kickoff.
Lafayette at Tates Creek moved to 6:30pm kickoff.
Paul Laurence Dunbar at Henry Clay moved to 6:30pm kickoff.
Elizabethtown at Russell County moved to 7:00pm kickoff.
Jeffersontown at North Bullitt moved to 7:00pm kickoff.

Sorry I'm late with this update. I just got back from Lexington seeing my orthopedic surgeon for a checkup. It appears that strong to severe storms will be ongoing from 6 pm to 2 am EDT Friday.

The following is the info that the Nation Weather Service-Louisville office sent out in a email this afternoon. 

Strong and severe thunderstorms will be possible as a cold front moves through the region tomorrow afternoon and evening. The main severe hazards expected are damaging winds, heavy rainfall, and frequent lightning, although a brief, isolated tornado is also possible. While a few showers and storms that could be severe will develop across the area by early afternoon, the main severe threat is expected to occur between 6 p.m. and 2 a.m. EDT. Storms will clear the area from west to east by early Saturday morning. Our overall confidence for severe weather is medium to high, while our confidence in storm timing is low to medium.

The Storm Prediction Center has most of Kentucky west of I-75 in a Category 2 Slight Risk Area. There is a section east of I-75 in a Category 1 Marginal Risk Area for strong to severe storms.

KY_swody3.thumb.png.54c73be273f34c5be902118c14ea705d.png

Outlook-category-descriptions.thumb.png.0fa8514c6a66effb7a532e325545951f.png

This simulated HRRR radar for the time period I mentions shows strong to possible severe storms will be possible for the early start of games.

floop-hrrr-2021101418.refcmp.us_ov.gif.631767103ffd14832c7f34f23748b50f.gif

An updated forecast will be posted early tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm going ahead and issue a BGP Severe Weather Alert Day for Friday. With so many going to be out at games. Everyone should have a way to receive weather related alerts if you will be out and about tomorrow afternoon into the evening hours. 

• Like 2

This will be quick this morning. Here is the latest on the possible severe weather. I will be back about mid morning with a more detailed outlook.

Strong to severe thunderstorms will be possible this afternoon and this evening. The main severe weather threat with the storms will be damaging wind gusts in excess of 60 MPH. An isolated tornado threat
will also be possible. The storms will end from west to east as a strong cold front pushes through the region late tonight.

For western Kentucky area,

Widespread showers and isolated thunderstorms could produce some heavy rainfall and minor flooding issues through southeast Missouri and southern Illinois late this afternoon and this evening. The showers and storms are expected to weaken and become less numerous as they spread eastward across southwest Indiana and west Kentucky later tonight.

Here's the latest update:

Strong to severe thunderstorms will be possible this afternoon and this evening. The main severe weather threat with the storms will be damaging wind gusts in excess of 60 MPH. An isolated tornado threat will also be possible. The storms will end from west to east as a strong cold front pushes through the region late tonight.

The isolated to scattered strong to severe storms should start firing up around 3 pm EDT. As the front passes through Kentucky from west to east the possible severe weather will move in that direction also. If a storm moves thorough your area early be alert that there could be multiple rounds of isolated to scattered storms lasting into the early morning hours Saturday.  The simulations I've see show the best chance for a brief spin up tornado will be along the Kentucky/Tennessee border.

The time covered by these two maps is from 3 pm EDT to 4 am EDT Saturday morning. The Storm Prediction Center has expanded the Category 2 Slight Risk Area eastward. A large portion of eastern Kentucky is under a Category 1 Marginal Risk Area for possible strong to severe storms.

KY_swody1.thumb.png.2ff03444aaec94e97c5f57a3678a3289.png

Outlook-category-descriptions.thumb.png.20fc0a12348057a02807b3434c57e547.png

floop-hrrr-2021101514.refcmp.us_ov.gif.52bd0d6108bf11d89fa4afcd8cd07ce8.gif

The EHI shows approximately where atmospheric conditions could be favorable for the formation of the possible severe weather this afternoon into the into the early morning hours on Saturday.

floop-hrrr-2021101514.ehi03.us_ov.gif.758c79d4afd69126212505321800df90.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

For discussion sake how long will teams wait for lightning delays before canceling/rescheduling a game? Let's say it's a district game.

Would they tend to play tomorrow?

Seems like the right thing to do, unless you need the sloppy field as your friend against a team that's likely better than you are.  Then you hang on as long as you can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2