BluegrassPreps Class 2A Football Rankings 8/23

TheDeuce

I watched Mayfield Friday night.  I don't think they have the horses to keep up with Beechwood or LCA.  I like their running backs and offensive line, but their QB is inconsistent, and they don't have a go-to receiver when they need a big play.  Maybe the QB will settle in, and maybe they find that DOG receiver that can go get it, but I don't see that right now.

Their defense is their strength.  They owned the line of scrimmage Friday night, and the only susceptibility they showed was pass D in the first half.  They tightened that up in the second half.  I wasn't overly impressed with Graves' offense, but Mayfield's next three opponents (Hoptown, Tilghman, McCracken) should more than test them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BadaBing said:

I watched Mayfield Friday night.  I don't think they have the horses to keep up with Beechwood or LCA. I like their running backs and offensive line, but their QB is inconsistent, and they don't have a go-to receiver when they need a big play.  Maybe the QB will settle in, and maybe they find that DOG receiver that can go get it, but I don't see that right now.

Their defense is their strength.  They owned the line of scrimmage Friday night, and the only susceptibility they showed was pass D in the first half.  They tightened that up in the second half.  I wasn't overly impressed with Graves' offense, but Mayfield's next three opponents (Hoptown, Tilghman, McCracken) should more than test them.

A strong running game + dictating the line of scrimmage + defense is usually a good recipe for success in late November.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:20 PM, snakesnot_2000 said:

Where have we gone? We've been to 10 out of 12 last State Championships.

I think that he's getting at this:  When is the last time that Mayfield had 2 consecutive senior classes graduate without getting a ring?  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, theguru said:

What teams are on that list?

Well, Mayfield is on it right now, and as the season is played out, there MIGHT be one or two others…its too early to tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1