Murray names Darren Bowling their new head football coach.

Offensively, it should be a smooth transition as Murray was running a similar style and personnel.  It will be interesting to see how much the Murray QB improves.  Maybe this coach can tap into his potential more than the last one.

18 minutes ago, BadaBing said:

Offensively, it should be a smooth transition as Murray was running a similar style and personnel.  It will be interesting to see how much the Murray QB improves.  Maybe this coach can tap into his potential more than the last one.

Yes. Qb does have a really good arm but has been very inconsistent since he became the starter.  He will be surrounded by talent all over the field and that could ease some of his struggles.  It will be interested how the passing game will be integrated (if any) under the flex bone offense Coach Bowling is known to run. 

Where was Coach Bowling the past season?  and why did he choose murray at such a late date in the off season?  Whats the backstory for his departure? Being such an accomplished coach with multiple state championships and in multiple states.........was he on the shelf and available? Sure seems to have bounced around a good deal or am I missing something?

Was at Union city tn for 12 years or so then took a 6a job in Mississippi at olive branch. Went 5-5 in his one season there then resigned. Not sure why he left OB but I assume maybe he likes the smaller school feel and likes this area better and has family closer. All of those are just guesses. I wouldn’t call him a guy that bounces around a lot though.

I do.    If you like Woody Hayes, you'll love this guy. When Mayfield beat Union City, 41-0, UC threw the ball 1 time. I don't think this style will suit Murray or it's fans. If Murray wants to compete for State titles, this style of play will be hard pressed. Then again, Murray was put in a hard place with the timing of the former coaches leaving.

23 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

I do.    If you like Woody Hayes, you'll love this guy. When Mayfield beat Union City, 41-0, UC threw the ball 1 time. I don't think this style will suit Murray or it's fans. If Murray wants to compete for State titles, this style of play will be hard pressed. Then again, Murray was put in a hard place with the timing of the former coaches leaving.

I just know if I were an AD I don’t think I could pass on a guy with 4 state titles and the winning percentage he has over maybe another area hc that had mediocre success or a young coordinator. I understand what you are saying about the pass and it will be interesting to see if he incorporates some play action and rpo stuff because he has guys to do it and it would be effective.

Murray won a whole lot of games with Steve Duncan who ran no option at all and just handed it off and got what he can get. Flexbone is much more complex with reads and motions. Several teams in the state make title runs consistently with similar styles (belfry, Scott co, etc). Now I know Murray doesn’t have that kind of depth and talent usually. I just think the flexbone is very tough to prepare for and defend if the team executes and has some horses. Give Murray sometime to get this system set up and they will be an even tougher out come November.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:53 PM, The Flea Market said:

What happened to the former coach? Where is he now?

On 7/3/2021 at 4:08 PM, The Flea Market said:

How long did he stay and why did he leave?

19 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

Strange hire?

7 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

I just wonder why he left his previous job to come to Murray. I wonder if he has done any research on his rivals?

You seem to have an abundance of questions about this particular coaching change @The Flea Market. Are you digging at something in particular here? Or just feeling especially inquisitive?

For the record, I think this is a solid hire by Murray - especially considering the fact that they were really left in a bind as far as timing goes. Maybe @snakesnot_2000 is right, and Coach Bowling doesn't like to air the ball out enough. Looking at Olive Branch's stats on Hudl from last year (which I'm not certain are complete), they were attempting passes 4 times or less in each of their games, except for one game where they stats reported 31 attempts...which seemingly can't be correct. Who knows.