Open Job: Madisonville-North Hopkins

From Head Coach Jay Burgett:

Today I come to you with pride, sadness, and excitement. I come to you proud of the last 12 years that I have spent with the Madisonville Maroon Football Program. Of all the accomplishments along the way for the young men I have been able to coach and the teams that took the field each and ever Friday with a commitment and discipline that was unmatched.

I am thankful for all the coaches that I have had the pleasure of coaching with and who have helped mold me into the coach I am today. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity that was given to me and the path that it provided to be where I am today. I feel sadness because I will be leaving the place that I have called home for over 10 years, married my wife, had and began to raise my children. Sad because by choice I will not be a part of the next chapter of Maroon Football and get to celebrate when they take the field for the 2021 season.

And finally I come to you with excitement for the next chapter of my life as an educator, coach, husband, father, son, and friend. While I will be leaving Madisonville North Hopkins High School and the Maroon Football program will be under different guidance and leadership next season the city of Madisonville will always be in my heart and mind.

Thank you to everyone who has been a part of mine and my family's life and with this I now resign as the Head Football Coach of the Madisonville Maroons. 

23 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

The right guy can turn this once proud program back to the glory days. Could be the best job in Western Ky!

They certainly had a rough 2020, but still, I'm not sure how much "turning around" is necessary in Madisonville...you only need to look back the year prior and they were 11-3. They only had their season ended because they ran into Johnson Central in the playoffs. Even Boyle County couldn't stop Johnson Central in 2019. Same thing in 2018, they were 10-3, and only lost by 2 points in the playoffs to state champions Franklin-Simpson.

It sure seems to me that Coach Burgett did an awful lot of work to turn things around when he took over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

They certainly had a rough 2020, but still, I'm not sure how much "turning around" is necessary in Madisonville...you only need to look back the year prior and they were 11-3. They only had their season ended because they ran into Johnson Central in the playoffs. Even Boyle County couldn't stop Johnson Central in 2019. Same thing in 2018, they were 10-3, and only lost by 2 points in the playoffs to state champions Franklin-Simpson.

It sure seems to me that Coach Burgett did an awful lot of work to turn things around when he took over.

I believe Madisonville was pretty inexperienced this past season, too. So mix that with a lack of practice due to Covid, two cancellations due to Covid, and a couple of district opponents (Calloway County and Hopkins County Central) performing at a higher level than normal and it was a recipe for a down year. There's no reason to think they can't get back to where they've been the last several seasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Coach Burgett did, to me, an amazing job at Madisonville.  Prior to his tenure, the Maroons had gone through several coaching changes the previous 5-7 years.  He gave the program stability and was able to grow into a contender the second half of his tenure.  Good luck to him where ever he decides to go.

Madisonville did have a down year.  They were young and inexperienced.  I'm sure whoever steps in should be able to compete in a district that, traditionally, does not have a power house.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Hired as Associate Head Coach and Associate Athletic Director at Henderson County.

2 hours ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

This seems like a perplexing move. Lateral at best in my opinion. Must be a little more money and a little more freedom with the job. Also may have seen a down period with north.

Jay is just a health and phys ed teacher at Madisonville in addition to being coach. Henderson's a bigger school than Madisonville, so the pay for associate HC at Hendo may well be comparable to the HC job at Madisonville. Not sure if he's still going to have a job in the classroom to go along with his associate AD duties, but my assumption is that there's a bump in pay somewhere along the way. Andrews is only in his first year as AD and Boston is going into his 6th year as HC at Henderson, so I wouldn't guess either of them are looking at going anywhere in the immediate.

Jay's wife Katie is a social worker, so maybe there's an additional career opportunity for her that we're not hearing about here. Maybe there's something else family-related. Who knows.

• Thanks 1

Gotta love the interwebz...

According to the article from the Henderson Gleaner, it looks like Jay and Josh Boston are close friends, and Jay has been looking to direct his career into an administrative position. The opportunity presented itself, and he took it.

https://www.thegleaner.com/story/sports/2021/04/23/jay-burgett-joins-henderson-staff-associate-head-coach-associate-ad/7348940002/

“He’s not ready to quit coaching, but he’s ready to explore the administrative avenue," Boston said.

“I’m not going to be a coordinator, but I will be aiding in the game planning and things of that nature on that side of the ball,” said Burgett, who will coach linebackers on defense.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, TylerDurden said:

Gotta love the interwebz...

According to the article from the Henderson Gleaner, it looks like Jay and Josh Boston are close friends, and Jay has been looking to direct his career into an administrative position. The opportunity presented itself, and he took it.

https://www.thegleaner.com/story/sports/2021/04/23/jay-burgett-joins-henderson-staff-associate-head-coach-associate-ad/7348940002/

“He’s not ready to quit coaching, but he’s ready to explore the administrative avenue," Boston said.

“I’m not going to be a coordinator, but I will be aiding in the game planning and things of that nature on that side of the ball,” said Burgett, who will coach linebackers on defense.

I was going to say this seems like odd timing to leave, but the above makes perfect sense to me if that's what Coach Burgett wants to do.  For Henderson, this is a solid hire and should aid them going forward.

For Madisonville, I think this is a critical hire.  Coach Burgett developed some really quality teams at North Hopkins.  I was especially impressed with their 7v7 performance at the Hoptown Tournament a couple years ago, which set the tone for the 11-3 season.  They beat BG and several other quality teams in that tournament and fell to a really good Brentwood Academy squad.  I know 7v7 isn't the same, but Coach Burgett understood it has it's place and utilized that as a chemistry tool to better his team.  

Good luck to Coach Burgett and Madisonville on their next hire!  Will be interesting to see who lands the job!

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 7:30 AM, Purple88 said:

I was going to say this seems like odd timing to leave, but the above makes perfect sense to me if that's what Coach Burgett wants to do.  For Henderson, this is a solid hire and should aid them going forward.

For Madisonville, I think this is a critical hire.  Coach Burgett developed some really quality teams at North Hopkins.  I was especially impressed with their 7v7 performance at the Hoptown Tournament a couple years ago, which set the tone for the 11-3 season.  They beat BG and several other quality teams in that tournament and fell to a really good Brentwood Academy squad.  I know 7v7 isn't the same, but Coach Burgett understood it has it's place and utilized that as a chemistry tool to better his team.  

Good luck to Coach Burgett and Madisonville on their next hire!  Will be interesting to see who lands the job!

Was this the same year when the Madisonville coach got mad because his team lost a game & put his team on the bus & went back home, refusing to finish the tourney?  

Jay did a pretty good job. It was at a very low point when he took over from the last coach. You really have to throw this season out as the COVID-19 wiped out many games and practices.  The new coach will need to clean house and get a new staff and maybe he will be able to turn this around quick!