The Scribe

Open Job: Christian County

9 hours ago, R1 sports fan said:

Duncan is like a wishbone guy, and with the pure athleticism you have at Christian county, I don’t think that would be a good fit.

Athletes can't run the wishbone? 

• Like 1

Almost all the people listed have been run out of jobs except for a few cause they couldn't win games.  I get that experience as a head coach is a good thing but what if its bad experience?  Every head coach was a coordinator at some point before somebody gave them an opportunity.  Nothing wrong with hiring a young coach who may bring some energy back into a program if he has been under a good head coach and in a program with some success. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beavis and ButtHead55 said:

Oh yeah they can! would be great actually with athletes! the problem is those kids won't buy in because it's not what they see on saturdays! Kids would immediately flock to HHS if that happen.  

13 hours ago, R1 sports fan said:

Duncan is like a wishbone guy, and with the pure athleticism you have at Christian county, I don’t think that would be a good fit.

Coach Duncan is a hard nose wishbone guy!  He will get his team ready for game day.  He is a strong believer in the weight room and holds his kids accountable.

In his short stint at Tilghman, where they athletes all over the field, he seemed to be building the program in the right direction before he had to step down due to health issues. He did a good job at Murray as well.

This job is/could be one of the best in Western Kentucky. I do not think they will settle for a person that has never been a head school at a large school or a coach that has never had a winning record. There will be several proven head /college coaches that will want this job. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Beavis and ButtHead55 said:

Why would you want to put all your athletes in a phone booth, you would want to try and create space. Duncan ran only Bone at Tilghman and they vastly underachieved for there talent level, then the next year after Duncan stepped down, Smith instantly made them a much better team by spreading the field. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FB Head said:

Coach Duncan is a hard nose wishbone guy!  He will get his team ready for game day.  He is a strong believer in the weight room and holds his kids accountable.

In his short stint at Tilghman, where they athletes all over the field, he seemed to be building the program in the right direction before he had to step down due to health issues. He did a good job at Murray as well.

Can’t speak as much as to what he did at Murray, but in his 1 year at Tilghman they woefully underachieved, Tilghman because a much better team the year after he stepped down.

1 hour ago, The Flea Market said:

This job is/could be one of the best in Western Kentucky. I do not think they will settle for a person that has never been a head school at a large school or a coach that has never had a winning record. There will be several proven head /college coaches that will want this job. 

I’m willing to make a prediction that a school 1-16 in their last 17 games will not have many “proven” Hs head coaches or college coaches banging at the door for this job. Especially being in the district with BG/SW for the next two years at least. CC could be worse next year then they wore the last two years after graduating 20+ seniors this year. 

• Like 2

From what the tea leaves are whispering in WKY, these are the favorites. 

Darell Keith HC Clinton (TN)

Former CC assistant & Todd HC. Could he jump back to WKY and bring his stud QB son?

Coby Lewis

Former Trigg HC and current Hopkinsville assistant. Has some ties to CC and could be a surprise hire for CC if they look for an offensive guy.

Tony McCombs

Former CC great and NFL LB is the current DC at Bryan Station in Lexington. Was a finalist for Paducah Job and could see him getting the nod to come back to his hometown.

Josh Jaggers

Proven Head Coach who is the son of some legendary WKY coaches. If CC wants someone with HC experience then this would be my pick. 

There could be other names who have conversations/apply but I believe these are the 4 main contenders. 

Keith has a better job in Tennessee, why would he come back to a team that will be rebuilding as all he is doing is showcasing his son. 

‘McCombs does not have much to offer so I don’t see them hiring him. 

‘Lewis is a good proven coach but is at the crosstown rival.

Jaggers is a great young coach with a great family background. He would be a great hire if they could get him to take it.

6 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

Keith has a better job in Tennessee, why would he come back to a team that will be rebuilding as all he is doing is showcasing his son. 

Jaggers is a great young coach with a great family background. He would be a great hire if they could get him to take it.

6 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

If you look at your previous post though you said that a coach needs to have experience at a large school and have a winning record. That means Jaggers and Lewis would not be in consideration because neither have career winning records and have not been head coaches at large schools. Your words not mine. What changed?

My opinion is career record and head coaching experience shouldn’t matter. Sean McVay from the Rams had zero head coaching or coordinator experience and turned out pretty well at the highest level. 

Bottom line is if you can coach and relate to the kids then you are putting yourself in a solid position to succeed. The rest comes down to what kind of staff you can build and if you can get kids to believe in what you are saying. 

• Like 2

I should have said experience as a head coach. This was one of the top jobs in Western Ky and could be again with the right hire. I think you might have several applicants that will surprise you when the dust settles?

13 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

I should have said experience as a head coach. This was one of the top jobs in Western Ky and could be again with the right hire. I think you might have several applicants that will surprise you when the dust settles?

In the last 10 seasons, Christian County is 7-10 in the playoffs, never advancing beyond the second round.  5 of those 7 wins have come against Barren County and they have beaten Warren Central & Greenwood once.  Two of their current district foes during the same time span in the playoffs-  BG 33-4 & SW 26-8, with a combined 8 state championships.  With the current format of playing inside the district in the initial rounds of the playoffs, this is far from a "great" job.  

On 3/17/2021 at 10:30 AM, Beavis and ButtHead55 said:

You left a big one out. The Defensive Coordinator at Hoptown. Dustin Lopez is a proven DC that kids love to play for and be around. I don't know if he will apply or not, but he would be my front runner. He has been doing Head Coach duties for almost 4 1/2 years now. He deserves to have his name next to the HC Title. If he were to get the Christian County Gig I believe that he would have that program going in the right direction. 

Is he going to change his tune and support football players wrestling in the winter? If not, then not interested. js

On 3/22/2021 at 6:43 PM, naplesme said:

Is he going to change his tune and support football players wrestling in the winter? If not, then not interested. js

Change his tune? lol He loves football and is passionate about it. What's to change? He supports all sports in general. It would be a homerun hire for not only the Colonels but anybody.  I'm glad you're not interested because the important folks are. Hang in there buddy you'll be on his bandwagon soon.