Duke's Jalen Johnson opts out of remainder of season and declares for NBA draft

16thBBall Fan

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This is going to continue to be a trend, even outside of a year affected by a pandemic. 

Not sure on late season opt outs, but I do feel the G-League route will to continue to grow. Team Ignite is more interesting than anything going on in college basketball right now... if you're trying to build your basketball future.

Doesn't sound like Johnson was a good fit at Duke.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

If that's the case, then put a clause in the contract that the money has to be repaid.

There’s no money to be repaid. Scholarships and tuition are all arbitrary and even more so at a private school like Duke. Duke is providing a service to all of their students by giving them an education. As with all services they can charge whatever they want. They can provide the service at no charge or they can charge you for it. It’s not like Duke wrote him an actual check for him to subsequently pay his tuition with. It doesn’t work that way. If I owned a barber shop and cut your hair for free, I can’t call you a week later and ask you to pay me. 

8 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

There’s no money to be repaid. Scholarships and tuition are all arbitrary and even more so at a private school like Duke. Duke is providing a service to all of their students by giving them an education. As with all services they can charge whatever they want. They can provide the service at no charge or they can charge you for it. It’s not like Duke wrote him an actual check for him to subsequently pay his tuition with. It doesn’t work that way. If I owned a barber shop and cut your hair for free, I can’t call you a week later and ask you to pay me. 

But he probably did receive a check too lol jk

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I am surprised it took until mid February to hear a big time player doing this.

Yes and no. If he were battling an injury or in a high collision sport like football, the rationale would hold more true. The reality is Johnson wasn't getting minutes and decided to take his ball and go home. Duke has what, 3-4 weeks in the season? I am not sure these extra 3 weeks will be of more benefit than being in a team environment playing high level D1 hoops. Just my 2 cents. I don't fault him by the way, it is his life. 

15 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Yes and no. If he were battling an injury or in a high collision sport like football, the rationale would hold more true. The reality is Johnson wasn't getting minutes and decided to take his ball and go home. Duke has what, 3-4 weeks in the season? I am not sure these extra 3 weeks will be of more benefit than being in a team environment playing high level D1 hoops. Just my 2 cents. I don't fault him by the way, it is his life. 

I was referring more due to COVID-19 this season than because of injury.  I thought we'd have a couple lottery or big name guys go ahead and bounce on the season from schools like Duke, Kentucky, and etc. if there teams weren't playing well.