KFCA Playoff Survey on district play for the first two rounds of the playoffs

ChiefSmoke

This would be an off the wall idea, but I think it would make the playoffs interesting in a sense. Pair the districts 1-4 and 5-8 but treat it like March Madness, district champs and runner-up regular season are guaranteed a home game. RPI all the teams and pair them:

1-16

2-15

3-14

4-13

5-12

6-11

7-10

8-9

The seeding would enter as:

1st- 1-4

2nd 5-8

3rd 9-12

4th 13-16

You could end up with someone in your own district or be making the longer drive, your bracket would align like a normal with 1 and 2 opposite, meeting in the Semi-Finals and finishing in the State Title. Like I said off the wall, but somewhat combines the systems but makes it interesting and treat the Sunday following last regular season game as selection Sunday. Thoughts? You can just laugh this idea off too.

46 minutes ago, TCHSRaider said:

This would be an off the wall idea, but I think it would make the playoffs interesting in a sense. Pair the districts 1-4 and 5-8 but treat it like March Madness, district champs and runner-up regular season are guaranteed a home game. RPI all the teams and pair them:

1-16

2-15

3-14

4-13

5-12

6-11

7-10

8-9

The seeding would enter as:

1st- 1-4

2nd 5-8

3rd 9-12

4th 13-16

You could end up with someone in your own district or be making the longer drive, your bracket would align like a normal with 1 and 2 opposite, meeting in the Semi-Finals and finishing in the State Title. Like I said off the wall, but somewhat combines the systems but makes it interesting and treat the Sunday following last regular season game as selection Sunday. Thoughts? You can just laugh this idea off too.

I think this would be really fun that being said it’s never going to happen for some reason in football travel time is a big deal.

23 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I think this would be really fun that being said it’s never going to happen for some reason in football travel time is a big deal.

Football has the largest team, largest support staff, and the most equipment to transport. It usually takes most teams a couple or even a few busses plus a trailer for the equipment. The costs of moving that stuff adds up pretty quickly. That’s why travel is an issue for some teams.

I"m for a minimum of district games in the regular season (2 or 3 mandatory).  That gets teams out of playing games that don't help either team.  To me, only the top 2 teams in the district need to be in the playoffs, or make the lower seeds have play in games, while the top teams have a bye.  I hate Owensboro having to play Grayson, Muhlenburg, Ohio, Breck in addition to Graves each year.  Give them Graves and a pick of one of the rest - free them up for the rest of their schedule.  Or rotate a few teams in Districts 1 & 2 each year.

2 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Interesting....I know that's how it happens in IN HS football.  Everyone is assigned to a sectional and then it's a blind draw from there.  Teams in the sectional don't have to play each other in the regular season either unless they're in the same conference and even then, they might not play each other before the post season.  It's awful.  You literally could have two teams that are 10-0 play each other in the 1st round and two teams in that same sectional be 0-10 and play each other in the 1st round.  You can even have a winless regular season team receive a bye in the 1st round.

• Like 2

I really hope to see the cross districts in the first two rounds and then continue with the RPI in the same setup. Most districts throughout the state have 2 teams who could make deep runs or win it all . We know the RPI can be manipulated as we’ve seen so far by certain teams. But with the RPI I still think you end up with the two best teams. Yes teams may have to travel but if your the better team then your going to win regardless.

• Like 2