Houston Texans release J.J. Watt

nkypete

After 10 seasons, at his request, the Texans release the face of their franchise, J.J. Watt, so that he can have the opportunity to sign elsewhere.  He did so much for the Houston community especially with hurricane relief.

Please don't sign with Pittsburgh and make it a family affair!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sportsfan41 said:

I'm not a Pittsburgh fan but I do like the story of him getting to play with his brothers in Pittsburgh.   Joining Tampa Bay with Brady would also be cool. 

Pittsburgh is probably unlikely. I don't see them replacing either TJ or Bud Dupree with JJ. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bugatti said:

I will say it. I think JJ Watt is grossly overrated (today) and not worth the health risk.

JJ has had his share of injuries since 2016. But his stats for 2020 are better than most in the league.

Games played: 16, Tackles: 52, TFL: 14, Qb Hits: 17, Sacks: 5, FF: 2, INT: 1, Td: 1

And that is playing with the worst (IMO) defense in the NFL.  I hope he goes and gets his ring!!

The Houston organization has become the worst in the NFL in the last several years.  This is coming from a die-hard Houston fan. 

14 minutes ago, FB Head said:

JJ has had his share of injuries since 2016. But his stats for 2020 are better than most in the league.

Games played: 16, Tackles: 52, TFL: 14, Qb Hits: 17, Sacks: 5, FF: 2, INT: 1, Td: 1

And that is playing with the worst (IMO) defense in the NFL.  I hope he goes and gets his ring!!

The Houston organization has become the worst in the NFL in the last several years.  This is coming from a die-hard Houston fan. 

I am not saying he is a bum, it is just that people make him out like he is a generational talent before our eyes. If we are saying he is a defensive lineman, there are what, 20-25 more guys I would take first. If just talking edge rushers I would put him outside the top 10.

I don't think the Steelers would be able to clear the cap space to sign him.   But regardless of who he signs with, they aren't getting DPOY.  JJ now isn't JJ from 5 years ago.  IF he can stay healthy, he can be a good player.  I think his great years are behind him.