Arkansas 81 Kentucky 80

16thBBall Fan

56 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Interesting stat I just heard. KY in the 2nd half of their last 5 games has been out scored  63-19 from the foul line. Not going to win many games  like that. Like CAL says March is all that matters.

For someone that pays as much attention to this team and likes to rag on how they perform under Cal, it shouldn't be that surprising.

This team consistently has god awful tunovers and some ill advised shots in the second half, thus not getting to the FT line. Combine that with a team that is down and clawing back in the final minutes, so they are fouling more.

It shouldn't be much of a surprise at all that they are massively outscored at the FT line in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Yes he has all the way from a lottery pick to maybe a 2nd Rounder 

So a person gives a teenager credit for improving some from earlier in the year, and this is your response to take a shot at him?

Aren’t you the one who is tired of one and done type players anyways? Meaning if they truly just stay away from those type of players. Then we will have more freshman come in who simply just don’t look good as a freshman. So are you going to take shots at those players too, the players you say you want. When they may not look good as a freshman either?

It seems like some of you all want players to come in as freshman and be studs, but at the same time be studs as freshman and stay three to four years though. Which just isn’t realistic. 

Has Boston underachieved from the high expectations he had this year, absolutely. Has he improved a lot from the beginning of the year? Absolutely. 

Which honestly we should hope he truly does end up being looked like second round pick, because it would be great if he came back. He is the type of kid that I think this fan base would absolutely love as a sophomore. So silly to take a shot at a player who has improved. 

One thing I will say, it is not as if this team has just rolled over on the season. We get it, they are bad. But they easily could have mailed it and lost by 25 with the way things were going last night. It was looking bleak for much of the second half, but give Calipari credit. I think he was having fun motivating his team to respond the way they did. Askew was on pace to have a terrible performance, but Cal put him in the pick and roll with Sarr and something began to click. Granted, Sarr was knocking down the shots, but it was working. Also, a great call when UK was down two and they faked the pick and roll to Sarr to hit Mintz for the open look, and the lead.

RE: the last sequence. I was fine with the timeout. He was icing the shooter to start and they had to go over two plays. One for a miss and one for a make. With the execution, I have no clue what the hell was going on. At the start of the play, Toppin had the ball and nobody was on his half of the basketball court. It looked like a disaster, and it was.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, futurecoach said:

So a person gives a teenager credit for improving some from earlier in the year, and this is your response to take a shot at him?

Aren’t you the one who is tired of one and done type players anyways? Meaning if they truly just stay away from those type of players. Then we will have more freshman come in who simply just don’t look good as a freshman. So are you going to take shots at those players too, the players you say you want. When they may not look good as a freshman either?

It seems like some of you all want players to come in as freshman and be studs, but at the same time be studs as freshman and stay three to four years though. Which just isn’t realistic. 

Has Boston underachieved from the high expectations he had this year, absolutely. Has he improved a lot from the beginning of the year? Absolutely. 

Which honestly we should hope he truly does end up being looked like second round pick, because it would be great if he came back. He is the type of kid that I think this fan base would absolutely love as a sophomore. So silly to take a shot at a player who has improved. 

If your going to OAD you better get the best of the best. CAL hasn’t been in years and this is what’s going to happen. I’m not knocking the kid, but someone definitely over valued him coming out of high school. No way kids like him should bolt for the draft but they will especially if playing at KY.

10 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

If your going to OAD you better get the best of the best. CAL hasn’t been in years and this is what’s going to happen. I’m not knocking the kid, but someone definitely over valued him coming out of high school. No way kids like him should bolt for the draft but they will especially if playing at KY.

I think he definitely didn't live up to expectations but Boston is still projected as a first rounder in a lot of places, even as bad as he has played.  They have him as the 21st pick in this mock draft, published yesterday morning:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-mock-draft-2-evan-mobley-making-a-strong-case-for-the-no-1-spot-140057710.html

This one has him as the 27th pick, published about a week ago:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2928874-2021-nba-mock-draft-full-2-round-predictions-entering-february

Was scrolling through FB a few minutes ago and people were complaining about Allen (again) not getting more minutes. Am I watching a different game than everyone else? I get he had his few game stretch where he filled it up off open looks, but after teams starting guarding against that what else does he bring to the table? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Was scrolling through FB a few minutes ago and people were complaining about Allen (again) not getting more minutes. Am I watching a different game than everyone else? I get he had his few game stretch where he filled it up off open looks, but after teams starting guarding against that what else does he bring to the table? 

CAL has ruined Allen. He is a spot up shooter...If he goes in and doesn’t take a shot  no matter if he is wide open or covered like a blanket CAL yanks him back out. No way the kid can get into a rhythm and flow of the game playing an minute here and there. Kentucky’s attendance last night was less then a 1000. People have checked out on the team and CAL.

8 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

CAL has ruined Allen. He is a spot up shooter...If he goes in and doesn’t take a shot  no matter if he is wide open or covered like a blanket CAL yanks him back out. No way the kid can get into a rhythm and flow of the game playing an minute here and there. Kentucky’s attendance last night was less then a 1000. People have checked out on the team and CAL.

I agree he is a spot up shooter. But that is it. That is the problem. People on the other side are playing, too. So if that is taken away, what else does he bring to the table? Answer: nothing. He is a liability despite his ability to knock down open looks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bugatti said:

He has to become more versatile scorer.  I love Dontaie, but I get why he had single digit minutes last night.  He's just not producing right now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

It's not really Calipari that has ruined Allen, it's him playing without a PG that can create for him, and that Allen is a one trick pony right now.  Which is fine, especially coming off his injury and he is just a college freshman.  There are quite a few key areas that he can work on and improve in the offseason and be a much better player as a sophomore, junior and senior.  

I hope we get to see that come to fruition while he's still in Lexington.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randy Parker said:

He has to become more versatile scorer.  I love Dontaie, but I get why he had single digit minutes last night.  He's just not producing right now.

Exactly.  He isn't at the point in his career where he can produce for himself.  He really isn't even at the point where he moves well without the ball.

27 minutes ago, bugatti said:

@bugatti, I don't get it either.  Kentucky fans seem to drastically overrate Allen and his talent.  If he wasn't from KY, it wouldn't be like this with him for the most part.  He has potential and if he stays at UK, he could be pretty solid down the road.  I hope he does. 

56 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Very Little.