Realistic Replacement List For John Calipari

Tomcats1990

Replacement list for CAL  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Hypothetical your KY AD and CAL leaves after the season who are you going after?

• Mark Pope- BYU
    • Travis Steele- Xavier
    • Richard Pitino- Minnesota
    • Tony Bennett- Virginia
    • Chris Beard- Texas Tech
    • Scott Drew- Baylor
    • Nate Oats- Alabama
    • Bruce Pearl- Auburn
    • Chris Holtmann - Ohio State
    • Frank Vogel- LA Lakers

On 3/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, Tomcats1990 said:

I think Holtmann ( he was my pick) would understand KY and it’s fan base. However Bennett at Virginia has a title and the guy won the ACC again. He is a very underrated Coach who could win Big at KY.  Duke has only won 1 ACC regular season title in the past 15 years and that was a co championship in 2010.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:05 PM, Tomcats1990 said:

Agree with most of that my first 3 calls are Stevens Few and Wright no Donavan he turned us down.enough times already. After those 3 presumably say no these are the next coaches I’d look at some more realistic then others. Really like Holtmann he is from Nicholasville and grew up a KY fan. He knows how crazy this fan base is. I think Pearl would be a home run hire but don’t think KY would look at him because of the NCAA sanctions.

So is Holtman out now as a possible UK replacement for Cal? I’m assuming people who want Cal out, wouldn’t possibly want a coach who gets upset in the first round by a 15 seed. So is he no longer a contender now for people?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

So is Holtman out now as a possible UK replacement for Cal? I’m assuming people who want Cal out, wouldn’t possibly want a coach who gets upset in the first round by a 15 seed. So is he no longer a contender now for people?

Based on this that would also eliminate Coach K and Coach Izzo as well since they have both coached teams to loss to a #15 seed in the last 9 years. Not that neither would probably consider it, but based on your statement those two could not be considered either.😀

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Can he recruit in Lexington?  Louisville?  Hopkinsville?  Northern Kentucky?  The mountains?

That's all that matters. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Holtmann is a good coach. He will still be in consideration. That loss is why it’s called March Madness. ORU has one of the better 1/2 punches in the Country.

So the Madness of the tournament is okay for other coaches during the first weekend but not Elite Eight or Final Four games for Calipari? Got it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

So the Madness of the tournament is okay for other coaches during the first weekend but not Elite Eight or Final Four games for Calipari? Got it.

CAL is coaching at KY. He is here to win Championships. 1 in 12 years with the talent he has had is unacceptable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Based on this that would also eliminate Coach K and Coach Izzo as well since they have both coached teams to loss to a #15 seed in the last 9 years. Not that neither would probably consider it, but based on your statement those two could not be considered either.😀

I mean people were saying Cal needed to go before this year, because he came up one shot short of the final four twice in the last 5 years. So if that is a sign that Cal shouldn’t be at UK anymore. Then surely a coach who loses to a 15 seed should never be considered. 

Basically I’m just mocking how crazy some of our fan base is, with the things they have said about Cal. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

There has only been one coach in Kentucky history that has won more than one title while here. So basically you are saying every coach in UKs history besides Rupp. Has been been a failure, and what they did at UK, was not acceptable. That’s literally what you are saying, when you say something like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Holtmann is a good coach. He will still be in consideration. That loss is why it’s called March Madness. ORU has one of the better 1/2 punches in the Country.

So it’s all good that his team was a two seed and lost to a 15 seed. It doesn’t mean he isn’t a good coach. Yet if he was at UK and he lost to a 15 seed, with a team that was much more talented than the 15 seed he lost too. Then and only then, could people question his coaching ability? Even though people here like to question coaching ability, when a coach doesn’t lose to 15 seeds, and instead loses to teams by one shot in elite 8s. 

• Like 1