Michael Mayer at Notre Dame

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Just now, TheDeuce said:

You're right. I'm getting old. 

Aren't we all.

In short, just like basketball, I think a college football player should be able to leave after one year.  I think it is a joke and an abuse of high level college football players. 

To pick up with what Deuce was getting at (at least what I believe he was getting at) when I talked to Michael earlier this year a part of our conversation was my assessment of his skill set.  I told him I thought he was two years from being NFL ready and honestly after watching him so far this year I think he will probably be ready for the NFL after this season.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, theguru said:

To pick up with what Deuce was getting at (at least what I believe he was getting at) when I talked to Michael earlier this year a part of our conversation was my assessment of his skill set.  I told him I thought he was two years from being NFL ready and honestly after watching him so far this year I think he will probably be ready for the NFL after this season.

So, when, in your opinion, does he come out?

On 10/20/2020 at 1:32 PM, theguru said:

Aren't we all.

In short, just like basketball, I think a college football player should be able to leave after one year.  I think it is a joke and an abuse of high level college football players. 

I wish there was flexibility. If a kid is less than three years removed from high school but wants to try the NFL, go for it. But if you aren't drafted you should then have the ability to return to school while retaining your athletic eligibility. (I'd argue for the same rule in basketball and any other college sport).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I wish there was flexibility. If a kid is less than three years removed from high school but wants to try the NFL, go for it. But if you aren't drafted you should then have the ability to return to school while retaining your athletic eligibility. (I'd argue for the same rule in basketball and any other college sport).

We are in lockstep.

The college football players should demand this immediately. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Another impressive thing about Mayer is his blocking ability.  

Did anyone see him line up in the backfield?

His ability to block is going to up his NFL Draft stock.

I haven't seen him enough to evaluate his skills, but if he can block, that's only going to elevate his NFL prospects.  

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:32 PM, theguru said:

Aren't we all.

How many players are ready after their freshmen year though compared to basketball? I mean we’re really only talking about 1 maybe 2 guys every year in football that are physically ready. Basketballs different because most of the players are able to mature in to high level basketball players even in high school. Football players have to put on in some cases 20-30 pounds before they can even think about playing professionally. It’s just a slower development. I agree that they should be able to just go if they want to and someone’s willing to draft them, but I’m not sure if it would really change anything. 

31 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

How many players are ready after their freshmen year though compared to basketball? I mean we’re really only talking about 1 maybe 2 guys every year in football that are physically ready. Basketballs different because most of the players are able to mature in to high level basketball players even in high school. Football players have to put on in some cases 20-30 pounds before they can even think about playing professionally. It’s just a slower development. I agree that they should be able to just go if they want to and someone’s willing to draft them, but I’m not sure if it would really change anything. 

At the end of the day I am for choice and there is no legitimate reason college football players should have to wait three years.  This is all about the people in charge getting over on elite athletes. 

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

At the end of the day I am for choice and there is no legitimate reason college football players should have to wait three years.  This is all about the people in charge getting over on elite athletes. 

They could change the rule and guys still wouldn't get drafted until their third or fourth year because most of them wouldn't be able to make an NFL roster due to lack of development. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

They could change the rule and guys still wouldn't get drafted until their third or fourth year because most of them wouldn't be able to make an NFL roster due to lack of development. 

What about the few that are ready for the NFL before their 3rd year?