Sign in to follow this  
Purplepride

October Basketball Itch.. Top 5 Teams In the State This Year!!

Ok.. trying to be patient.. but hey, it’s Bball season!! Who are the Top teams in the State this year?? Who’s loaded with talent?? Seems to be a lot of player movement lately. Not sure I’m even up to date on which players are still with which teams these days!!  Discuss!! 

Not sure how I would rank them but the top 5 teams to me would be:

Ballard, Ashland, Elizabethtown, Covington Catholic, and Lexington Catholic. Other teams who would be in the mix are Oldham County, Bowling Green, Somerset, and Fern Creek.

• Like 1

1. Ballard (by a mile)

2. Cov Cath

3. Male

4. ETown

5. Ashland (I’m still not a buyer.)

• Like 1

Forgot Male returns Kaleb Glenn so they definitely will be right in the mix as well. Just know that they lost a lot other than him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ACfan4 said:

Forgot Male returns Kaleb Glenn so they definitely will be right in the mix as well. Just know that they lost a lot other than him.

Still a lot of depth from last year. Along with a lot of great athletes that fit Haworth’s system. Male could be one of those teams that loses a couple games early, then runs to Rupp

6 hours ago, ACfan4 said:

They have good freshman in Max Gainey that can help.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 1:44 PM, HoopJunkie said:

1. Ballard (by a mile)

2. Cov Cath

3. Male

4. ETown

5. Ashland (I’m still not a buyer.)

What makes you “not a buyer” on Ashland.  Coming off an undefeated season.  Key players returning and added some very good players.  Just curious what your thoughts are on this. 

Male will be right there.  I expect Cameron Pope to have a big year for the Bulldogs, along with Kaleb Glenn.  I was expecting Fern Creek to also be right there, but I have read that perhaps a couple of their starters from last season are going to play their senior season in California.

4 hours ago, Reno said:

What makes you “not a buyer” on Ashland.  Coming off an undefeated season.  Key players returning and added some very good players.  Just curious what your thoughts are on this. 

They basically played a middle school schedule last year. Undefeated is a huge accomplishment, but I think ETown was primed to end that streak. They do play Male early this season. Even with the players Male lost, that should still be a huge test for Ashland. I could be completely wrong, but I’m pretty sure they had an opportunity to play in the KOB this season, but declined. If you want to be considered the best, you have to be willing to play anyone anytime.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HoopJunkie said:

They basically played a middle school schedule last year. Undefeated is a huge accomplishment, but I think ETown was primed to end that streak. They do play Male early this season. Even with the players Male lost, that should still be a huge test for Ashland. I could be completely wrong, but I’m pretty sure they had an opportunity to play in the KOB this season, but declined. If you want to be considered the best, you have to be willing to play anyone anytime.

I wasn't completely sold on Ashland last season either, in terms of a state championship goes. But they were a very, very good team, I just felt like the lack of having a big man would eventually be their downfall. But we never had the chance to find out. 

The 16th region itself causes them to have a watered down schedule but they did upgrade it considerably this season. I remember some discussion of them being in the KOB tournament and their reasoning for declining at the time was due to no guarantee of it being played due to some out of state teams potentially backing out due to covid travel issues that were still unknown at the time. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HoopJunkie said:

Yes, because three regional winners and at least four regional finalists before January is just a cakewalk through the first part of the season. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Yes, because three regional winners and at least four regional finalists before January is just a cakewalk through the first part of the season. 

Exactly.  Not sure what HoopJunkie is basing this off of.  Definitely not a middle school schedule. I haven’t seen the Tomcats run from anyone.  Look at their schedule this year.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reno said:

Exactly.  Not sure what HoopJunkie is basing this off of.  Definitely not a middle school schedule. I haven’t seen the Tomcats run from anyone.  Look at their schedule this year.  

I was clearly talking about their schedule from last season. It was weak at best. Having Male and Cov Cath early this season will be a great test. But ducking the KOB isn’t a great look. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HoopJunkie said:

I was clearly talking about their schedule from last season. It was weak at best. Having Male and Cov Cath early this season will be a great test. But ducking the KOB isn’t a great look. 

And Reno was clearly talking about the post where I mentioned that they played no fewer than 3 Regional Champions in the early part of last season’s schedule. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this