Is Beechwood's Cam Hergott the front runner for Kentucky Mr. Football?

theguru

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Good catch. Stats updated last night after that post. Hergott finished the season at completion percent of 73.2, #5 all time in KY history. 

Is this even a debate? It is lopsided when you add up all the stats (historic state record level completion percent; 2,500 yards passing; 1,000 yards rushing) plus a state title and title game MVP. What justification can anyone make this year for any player other than Hergott as Mr. Football?

I think Hergott is obviously a great player and worthy of the award. Given that there is no stated criteria for the award, those voting may consider other things than someone with the best stats, such as competition the player has faced, Interest receiving from the next level, etc.

Plus it may hurt him having played poorly in the champ game, though I don’t think it should given the body of work over the season. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, EastSideJunkie said:

I have to fess up, I watched the whole game and he's really, really good.

But I didn't watch him and think he was the best player I had seen this season in 

I believe the award should go to Gillis. Beechwood did not win when they played big competition. It's pretty easy to pad the stat book playing Newport, just my imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill W. said:

I believe the award should go to Gillis. Beechwood did not win when they played big competition. It's pretty easy to pad the stat book playing Newport, just my imo. 

Beechwood’s first four games were against 4A Regional Finalist Corbin, 5A State Semifinalist Cov Cath, 6A Ryle, and 6A Regionals Finalist Dixie. So those 4 games which made up 33% of Beechwood’s schedule, Hergott put up 1,204 Total Yards, which made up 34% of his total yards for the season.

Beechwood went 2-2 in those games and lost to Cov Cath by 2 and Dixie by 8. They beat Corbin on the road, which was Corbin’s only loss until they lost to Johnson Central in the playoffs. 

As far as “padding” the stat book against Newport, Hergott rarely played past the 3rd quarter of any game from Week 5 until the semi finals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

I think Hergott is obviously a great player and worthy of the award. Given that there is no stated criteria for the award, those voting may consider other things than someone with the best stats, such as competition the player has faced, Interest receiving from the next level, etc.

Plus it may hurt him having played poorly in the champ game, though I don’t think it should given the body of work over the season. 

4 hours ago, Bill W. said:

Let's put facts to the above.

Competition Faced: Beechwod's strength of schedule was very strong this year. Beechwood's strength of schedule was better than Ashland, Elizabethtown, Owensboro, North Hardin, Belfry, Scott County and many other top teams. Beechwood's schedule was comparable to Boyle County, Franklin County, Johnson Central, Corbin, Covington Catholic, Frederick Douglass, and others. 

Hergott got wins versus top competition. Beechwood played 6 games against top ten level teams and had wins versus 4 of the 6 (not including the LCA game; 5-2 vs top teams including LCA title game):

- Beat Corbin 20-14. Corbin finished #4 in 4A (calpreps.com). Hergott accounted for 304 yards and 2 TD's in the win. So much for not playing well versus top competition. More to follow.

- Lost Covington Catholic 19-17 on last second field goal. CCH #3 in 5A. Hergott was 13-18 for 196 yards and had 2 TD's rushing. That was the most passing yards allowed by CCH this season. Only 3 other teams  threw for 100+ yards versus CCH.

- Beat Ryle 35-14. Ryle finished #11 in 6A. Hergott was 19 -25 for 335 yards and 2 TD's. Only 3 other teams were able to pass for more than 100 yards against Ryle.

- Lost Dixie Heights 28-20. Dixie finished #6 in 6A and was in the Final 4 in the playoffs. Hergott 16-25 212 yards 1 TD and 12 carries for 95 yards 1 TD. Over 300 yards against a 6A Final Four team.

- Beat Newport Catholic 45-0. New Cath finished #4 in 1A. Hergott was 14-14 215 yards 3 TD and 10 carries for 68 yards 1TD.

- Beat West Carter 35-34. West Carter #4 in 2A. Hergott 18-22 290 yards 3 TD and 21 carries for 96 yards 2 TD and an incredible scrambling 2 point conversion for the win.

- Other opponents = Lloyd finished #11 in 2A; Breathitt County #12 in 2A; Newport #15 in 2A. Only weak opponent was Covington Holy Cross. 

Hergott's Championship Game was one of the best title game performances.

Hergott may be a victim here of his own excellence. He has been so good, I think people expected more. But when you play the best in a title game, your stats are harder to come by. Look at the stats in the other title games. Hergott's game was among the best. He accounted for 251 yards offense, one of the highest totals of championship weekend. He accounted for 3 TD's. No one accounted for more and only 3 other players also had 3 TD's. Hergott made clutch plays that led to winning a state title and upset win over a Lexington Christian team most expected to win by a couple TD's. Hergott was game MVP. If that is his worst game (and honestly it might be), give him Mr. Football right now. 

Next level interest.

I am not sure how big a factor this should be in Mr. Football but the reality is it definitely is factored in by those who decide the winner. As posted above Hergott holds 8 offers right now and is getting interest from a half dozen others. He certainly has next level interest.

• Like 1