Jump to content
theguru

Is Beechwood's Cam Hergott the front runner for Kentucky Mr. Football?

Recommended Posts

From this week's Mr. Football Watchlist:

Cam Hergott (QB), Beechwood

Season to date: 78/110 for 1,115 yards and 7 TDs/3 ints. - 323 rushing yards and four touchdowns 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ENxjk

Week 5: As expected, Beechwood's district slate got off to a great start, with Hergott and the Tigers feeling little to no heat from Covington Holy Cross. Hergott completed a cool 17 of 20 throws for 200 yards and four touchdowns. Regardless of the level of competition, it's always impressive to see more touchdowns than incompletions.

From previous weeks in our Mr. Football Watchlist threads:

Week 4: Hergott had a hand (and a leg or two) in 307 of Beechwood's 310 total yards against Dixie Heights. He was unable to help the Tigers' run defense, as the Red Colonels ran for nearly 300 yards to upend 2A's #3 team. Beechwood dives into district play this week, where big numbers and blowout wins surely await.

Week 3: Hergott's 335 passing yards against Ryle represent a career best, and he did it on an efficient 19/25 passing with a pair of scoring tosses. To this point in the season, Hergott has proven himself to be the best quarterback in northern Kentucky and the driving force behind Beechwood's emergence as a legitimate 2A title contender. 

Week 2: A week after carrying Beechwood to victory against Corbin, Hergott nearly did it again against Covington Catholic. His arm and legs accounted for 236 of Beechwood's 239 total yards and both touchdowns versus the Colonels. Most of that production came in the first half before CovCath's defense dialed up a notch or two and shut the Tigers down over the final 24 minutes. Even in defeat, Hergott and Beechwood have altered the landscape of 2A, proving that they will be a force to be reckoned with when late November comes around.

Week 1: In one of the more impressive developments of opening weekend, Beechwood ventured south to Corbin and handed the Redhounds a 20-14 setback. Hergott carried the offensive load for the Tigers, accumulating 304 yards of total offense and a rushing touchdown. Something you won't find on a stat sheet, is the leadership qualities it takes to travel a couple of hours away from home in Week 1, with limited prep time, and beat a ranked opponent. It's a quality that Hergott seems to have in spades. He'll need to summon all of his skills and intangibles this week, as CovCath awaits.

===============

Cam is definitely near the top of the list.

Agree?  Disagree?  Something else?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The numbers make a great case for Cam and he has compiled those numbers against high quality opponents. He absolutely should be getting strong consideration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

The numbers make a great case for Cam and he has compiled those numbers against high quality opponents. He absolutely should be getting strong consideration.

He might be Mr Football but I never thought numbers meant anything for Mr Football.

Example: Jonathon Jackson, Mayfield, he had over 2000 yards rushing and was an All State linebacker, led his team to a State Title, he lost to James Quick a wide receiver that didn't even come close to matching JJ's statistical numbers or what he meant to his team. 

Again, Hergott might have the stats but that doesn't always lead to Mr Football.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at his numbers and think what they would be if he had a better line in front of him. And, he has done these number against a pretty tough schedule. The kid just makes plays and is worthy to be in this company. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

He might be Mr Football but I never thought numbers meant anything for Mr Football.

Example: Jonathon Jackson, Mayfield, he had over 2000 yards rushing and was an All State linebacker, led his team to a State Title, he lost to James Quick a wide receiver that didn't even come close to matching JJ's statistical numbers or what he meant to his team. 

Again, Hergott might have the stats but that doesn't always lead to Mr Football.

Jonathan Jackson was amazing but so was James Quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, theguru said:

Jonathan Jackson was amazing but so was James Quick. 

I agree.

But to see that type of excellence on both sides of the ball is rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

I agree.

But to see that type of excellence on both sides of the ball is rare.

Agree and since we are on the way back machine here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theguru said:

Cam is definitely near the top of the list.

Agree?  Disagree?  Something else?

No way the voters are going to give it to a NKY player two years in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, colonel-fan said:

No way the voters are going to give it to a NKY player two years in a row.

In general terms when speaking about Kentucky I do think there is an anti-NKY bias. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, theguru said:

In general terms when speaking about Kentucky I do think there is an anti-NKY bias. 

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that, but I do think voters like to move the award around. Unless Hergott is head and shoulders above the other contenders, I doubt he will win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Cam should be the front runner.  Do you think being a 2A quarterback hurts his chances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very impressed by Cam when he played against CovCath. I really respect it when players get the most out of their physical abilities and he’s doing it. BW puts a ton on his plate and he’s stepped up. He has very clean mechanics, he’s accurate with the ball and throws with good touch. That doesn’t even take into account his rushing ability and his abilities to make plays outside of the pocket. He is a heck of a player.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill W. said:

I agree Cam should be the front runner.  Do you think being a 2A quarterback hurts his chances?

That is why I mentioned the level of competition he has played against so far this year in compiling his numbers. His first four games where he compiled those stats were against #5 in 4A, #2 in 5A, #8 in 6A and a top 15 6A team.  Regardless of what class they are in, those first four games are as good as it gets for competition and make Hergott's numbers even more impressive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid has played his guts out.

Will District play hurt him if Beechwood running clocks teams and his numbers come across pedestrian as a result?

Unless Beechwood makes it a point to feed Hergott, I could easily see him taking a yardage dip while his efficiency numbers further improve.

His numbers are sterling from efficiency standpoint already, but that doesn't get voters to pay attention. Only one 300+ yard passing performance and only one 100+ yard rushing performance.

IMHO, Hergott's biggest issue is the fact the team ranked #1 in his class has a more recognizable name at QB. Kaiya Sheron will probably get the benefit of doubt over Hergott in voters eyes 10/10 if stats are close.

As good as Hergott is and has been, my unfortunate prediction is he will fall more into the discussion of who is the most underrated player in the state instead of the discussion of Mr. Football favorites from the people who choose these type of things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ATLCat said:

The kid has played his guts out.

Will District play hurt him if Beechwood running clocks teams and his numbers come across pedestrian as a result?

Unless Beechwood makes it a point to feed Hergott, I could easily see him taking a yardage dip while his efficiency numbers further improve.

His numbers are sterling from efficiency standpoint already, but that doesn't get voters to pay attention. Only one 300+ yard passing performance and only one 100+ yard rushing performance.

IMHO, Hergott's biggest issue is the fact the team ranked #1 in his class has a more recognizable name at QB. Kaiya Sheron will probably get the benefit of doubt over Hergott in voters eyes 10/10 if stats are close.

As good as Hergott is and has been, my unfortunate prediction is he will fall more into the discussion of who is the most underrated player in the state instead of the discussion of Mr. Football favorites from the people who choose these type of things.

Great analysis @ATLCat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.