Mayfield at McCracken County Predictions/Updates

DevilMayCare

Cardinals vs. Mustangs  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/2020 at 11:30 PM

One of the best ongoing series' in western Kentucky pits perennial power Mayfield against a team that's given them some fits in recent years, McCracken County. The two schools have met every year since McCracken's inaugural season in 2013. Mayfield holds a 4-3 edge in the series, with the average score being 40-34 in the Cardinals' favor. Not only are the games usually competitive, but they're often fan friendly, high scoring shootouts, as was the case in last year's 45-35 Mustangs victory at War Memorial Stadium.

Both schools are in a similar boat to start the 2020 season. Mayfield (Stinson and Neely) and McCracken (Wheat and Hayes) both lost great quarterbacks and record setting receivers, and both return standout running backs that had big games in last season's contest. The homestanding Mustangs bring back Hunter Bradley, who hit up Mayfield's defense for 150 yards and a pair of scores, while the Cards counter with Kylan Galbreath (135 yards and a touchdown). 

If both teams stay true to form, it should be another wild night on the Jackson Purchase.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brown said:

Wheat and Hayes graduated for McCracken.  I think Mayfield in this one.

To counter that, Mayfield graduated Stinson and Neely. Those losses more or less cancel each other out. A lot of unknowns for each team entering this game. One thing I think we can expect is for both teams to ride their star running back.

McCracken is one team that has beaten Mayfield at War Memorial in recent years regular season. That can give Mayfield revenge motivation or McCracken confidence they can compete with one of Kentucky's premier programs. I'm going with my Mustangs!

Mayfield has a good group coming back on defense that should keep them competitive in every game this season, but they replace 4 of 5 starting offensive lineman I believe.  I picked Mayfield in the poll, but realistically I see McCracken by a touchdown.

• Like 1

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums. All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

This will be a big test for Mayfield. Hoping that Mayfield can be competitive and possibly pull out a victory. Defense should be good while the offense is an unknown. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

Hey snakeshot!

I think I am going to go with McCracken in this one. 

As I said previously, McCracken without Hayes and Wheat are going to be down, even with Bradley.  Their D was average last year, but their tremendous O kept them in everything.  Mayfield the much better program and is a factory.  I talked to a couple McCracken parents today and they both said "Mayfield".  I'll be at the Paducah/Graves game across town - couldn't get tickets!

Mayfield 35-14

• Thanks 1