Wait to find the best or get it done soon for the players???

TigerDude13

I understand that there are going to be some coaching openings throughout the state as the off season wears on.

So far, there are only a few openings (Berea, Hancock, Bullitt Central, Conner) to name a few off the top of my head. I have heard that some of these programs and adminstrations are going to "take their time" in selecting their next head coach.

My question is: Is it better to wait as long as possible to begin the screening and interview process to get the best possible candidate (which sounds good) or move through it quickly so that a coach can get in as soon as possible so that they can begin the off season workouts as soon as possible so that the players dont miss much in terms of conditioning, strength work and begin the process of learning new schemes and expectations (which also makes sense)?

Seems to me that if you take your time, your chances of finding the best candidate increases...however you run the risk of losing valuable off season work out time. I am guessing that most will wait until at least January (after Christmas break) to begin the process.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons???

I think in most cases a key variable in this is the makeup of the returning players. If you have a lot of starters and veterans returning on both sides, especially some key leader-types, you can probably get away with waiting a bit, because the upperclassmen can help the returning coaches hold the team together in the interim while the search continues.

There are too many factors to things ot be as simple as hire now or wait. Some schools (though it is few) have the resources to hire just a coach. Most schools do not have the money to shell out to someone just to coach and the job truly pay. Most coaches are teachers also so a spot either has to be open or be made for them. Those coaches are often alreayd at a school so leaving in the middl eof the year to take over is not much of an option.

Now they could hire a new coach at this time and that coach meet with the staff (if he is not bringing in new coaches with him, which is a whole other matter) and could get the ball rolling to a degree. The problem there is the new HC is not there to over see how things are going.

If a coach is just a para-proffessional then there is the issue of relocating maybe but they can step in earlier in the process. Location of the school is another factor that goes into the whole process. It is much easier to get a coach to come to some places more than others.

The sooner a coach can start the better I think. I do not think the process should be rushed and with a good idea of the type of coach you are looking for is always a plus. I think a good deal fo places do nto know what they are looking for in truth for a coach.