colonel-fan

Boone County schools all getting turf fields

The company has not been named but it has to be DHL with a check that large.

Could it be Amazon? This line makes me wonder, "a global employer with a significant presence in the county."

Could it be Amazon? This line makes me wonder, "a global employer with a significant presence in the county."

Yes, could be. DHL probably had more employees in Boone Co. in the previous years. DHL has nearly 4,000 employees in Boone Co.

Edited by Voice of Reason

What is the shelf life of a state-of-the-art turf field nowadays for a typical co-ed high school playing the KHSAA-sanctioned sports --freshman, JV and varsity?

What is the shelf life of a state-of-the-art turf field nowadays for a typical co-ed high school playing the KHSAA-sanctioned sports --freshman, JV and varsity?

7-10 years.

7-10 years.

Is the replacement cost less than the install? Otherwise, in 10 years the BCBOE is going to be in a tough spot with replacement field costs.

Is the replacement cost less than the install? Otherwise, in 10 years the BCBOE is going to be in a tough spot with replacement field costs.

Definitely. Initial installation involves excavation, installation of a water drainage system for the field, preparation of subgrade, installation of the rubber infill material, and the turf playing surface itself.

Replacement of the turf is just the installation of the new playing surface plus a little bit of additional rubber infill to replace what's been walked off the field in the previous give-or-take decade.

I haven't installed a new field in the last 6 or so years, but my understanding is that some of the new turf systems are exceeding the 10 year lifespan by I decent bit too...depending on the amount of usage they get, of course.

It is due for replacement and with the timeline to get the other schools done it made sense to knock Ryle's out as there is no excavation needed.

This is great news. The windfall will include many other upgrades and improvements of Boone Co's other non-sports facilities. This is what the Principal, Mr. Schlotman, announced at a recent pep rally for the Boone Cheer team.

New lockers

New auditorium

New band room

New chorus room

Old auditorium will become classrooms

Current band room will become athletic performance facility

New Coaches' offices

After next fall's football and soccer season there will be a new turf field.

This is such great news that me and Mrs. oldgrappler may have another kid so he/she can take advantage of all of these improvements.

7-10 years.

If that's the case then the turf on Pond Creek, home of the Belfry Pirates, is way overdue. The turf they played on this past season is the original turf laid down back in 2005 in the first season at the new stadium. That's 15 years on the original surface.

But, plans are being made and money/donations are being put together (this all started last year) in hopes of replacing the turf this summer and having a new playing surface at CAM Stadium in time for the 2020 Pike County Bowl. I can definitely see 7-10 years being the "shelf life" of turf though because the Pirates definitely needs theirs replaced. Lord willing this will get done and the Pirates will have a new playing field this coming season.

If that's the case then the turf on Pond Creek, home of the Belfry Pirates, is way overdue. The turf they played on this past season is the original turf laid down back in 2005 in the first season at the new stadium. That's 15 years on the original surface.

But, plans are being made and money/donations are being put together (this all started last year) in hopes of replacing the turf this summer and having a new playing surface at CAM Stadium in time for the 2020 Pike County Bowl. I can definitely see 7-10 years being the "shelf life" of turf though because the Pirates definitely needs theirs replaced. Lord willing this will get done and the Pirates will have a new playing field this coming season.

The turf's warranted lifespan does not mean there aren't facilities out there that don't go longer without replacing the playing surface. And that also doesn't mean that the surface will automatically self-destruct as soon as the warranted lifespan has been reached.

But yes, I just did a quick look...Motz Group & FieldTurf offer 8 year warranties on their playing surface products.

Ryle is getting the new turf first because as mentioned above its just a remove and replace job. Because the other three schools are "new" installs requiring a considerable amount of grading and concrete work it will take considerably more time and effort. I think Boone and maybe Conner's track will be impacted and essentially replaced as well. But don't quote me on the last part. Cooper's track is new enough that it will not be impacted by the install.

Turf technology has come a long way to say the least on this stuff being able to withstand a beating much better than the older turf. That being said, not having soccer practicing & playing on it where they have their own field makes a difference as well..... the less traffic one field sees, the better it is in the long run.

It will be great for all the high schools in Boone County to have these installed. I would love to see weight room and restroom upgrades as well but time will only tell on that.

It will be great for all the high schools in Boone County to have these installed. I would love to see weight room and restroom upgrades as well but time will only tell on that.

See post #23 for Boone County: "Current band room will become athletic performance facility." I assume this means weight room.

And you are right about restroom upgrades. I hadn't thought about that. Yeah, we need to get rid of the trough in the current restroom at Hauck stadium.

See post #23 for Boone County: "Current band room will become athletic performance facility." I assume this means weight room.

And you are right about restroom upgrades. I hadn't thought about that. Yeah, we need to get rid of the trough in the current restroom at Hauck stadium.

For Boone County yes, but the facilities at Conner and Ryle should be addressed as well.