2020 35th District Tournament

Leading up to the game, all of the folks around NKY (who weren't from the Cov Cath crowd) thought Cov Cath was going to blow out Highlands on the football field this season too. How did that one go?

Beechwood vs. Cov Cath is a rivalry game, and in the district tourney, it's gonna be a good game. I highly doubt it would be a 20 point blowout by either team. Crazier things have happened...

I do know that both teams have played Campbell County fairly recently, Beechwood won by 5 points on 01/28, and Cov Cath won by 11 points on 01/08. That doesn't look like a recipe for a either team blowing out the other by my standards.

Good try, but I'm not buying. LOL

Hey, I'm not trying to force you to go to any games. I'm just saying that I think it's going to be a good one. If Beechwood & Cov Cath play in the district finals on Friday night, then I'm planning on making the drive up from Louisville to see it.

High School basketball is a sport that's very tough to compare scores when comparing two teams. Its hard to count on 16 and 17 year old kids night in and out so some scores vary and don't tell the whole story. Not to mention each team has very different matchups, watching both play its gonna be very difficult for Beechwood to get anything going IMO. CovCath has the personnel to shutdown Beechwood and no basket is gonna come easy. Who else is gonna be able to handle the pressure besides Draud and Downton? People sleep on the fact that CovCath can get into you and play physical because they have erasers at the rim (one being 7 foot). CCH will beat whoever is in the district championship by 15, and look for Stocks to really show his game on the defense of end if it is indeed Beechwood.

Hey, I'm not trying to force you to go to any games. I'm just saying that I think it's going to be a good one. If Beechwood & Cov Cath play in the district finals on Friday night, then I'm planning on making the drive up from Louisville to see it.

Feel free to hype the game to what ever level that satisfies you, but I won't be there in the sardine can.

According to the original post, this is still 4 weeks away with some seeded games left to be played.

Current 35th District standings:

CovCath 2-0 w/ wins over HC, and Holmes

Beechwood 1-0 w/ win over Holmes

Holy Cross 0-1 w/ loss to CovCath

Holmes 0-2 w/ losses to CovCath and Beechwood

CovCath still needs to play Beechwood (Feb 7)

Beechwood still needs to play CovCath (Feb 7) and Holy Cross (Feb 15)

Holy Cross still needs to play Holmes (Feb 4), and Beechwood (Feb 15)

Holmes still needs to play Holy Cross. (Feb 4)

IF, and a big IF...

Holmes beats Holy Cross,

and Holy Cross beats Beechwood,

and CovCath beats Beechwood,

Then there would be a 3 way tie for Beechwood, Holy Cross, and Holmes.

I believe it should always be held at Holmes. You can even do it to where the "host school" can run concessions. It doesn't do Beechwoood, Holy Cross, nor Cov Cath any good to host this at their school.

Why should Holmes always get home court advantage? I think with the close proximity of the 9th Region as a whole, we should use the 4 biggest gyms as neutral floors for each District. For example, the 35th would be at Conner every year with each school rotating host. The 33rd could be at Holmes every year etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Not that I think it will happen, BUT, it could..and if it does, how does the 35th seeding get decided if Holy Cross beats Beechwood tonight? That would make it a 3 way tie between Beechwood, Holmes, and Holy Cross.

Don't know about this year, but some have been curious about RPI numbers showing up in basketball this season. The KHSAA will use RPI as a tiebreaker in football next season (after head to head matchups). I could see this being used next year for hoops too.

Edited by Runcible Owl
Clarification.