Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My Son

Featured Replies

So my 3-year old was diagnosed with autism in 2018. He does not say words but is able to walk, run, play, eat, and go to the bathroom. Lately he has learned how to unlock doors and even wandered out of the house once.

 

For trick or treating, we are making little cards for him to pass out that say "Hi. I'm David and I have autism. If you ever see me away from my house please text my daddy at xxx-xxxx."

 

Do you think this is a good idea? We do live on a pretty friendly and safe street in Florence.

Is he wearing a costume? How will people recognize him if they see him in a costume? I like the idea of letting neighbors know and getting your contact info to them.

Obviously, I would definitely be with him so that you can control who gets a card and who doesn't.

  • Author
Is he wearing a costume? How will people recognize him if they see him in a costume? I like the idea of letting neighbors know and getting your contact info to them.

 

That's like a really good point. I hadn't thought of that. My wife is in charge of the costumes.

 

The idea is that last year people were waiting for him to say "trick-or-treat" when he went to their homes for candy.

That's like a really good point. I hadn't thought of that. My wife is in charge of the costumes.

 

The idea is that last year people were waiting for him to say "trick-or-treat" when he went to their homes for candy.

 

Have you heard of the blue pumpkin? I know in our subdivision, someone posts a reminder each year prior to Halloween on our subdivision page so people don't forget.

I think you could have him wear a sticker or a some kind of sign. I did hear something about blue pumpkins.

It couldn’t hurt and if he’s unlocking doors, I’d strongly consider it. Not being able to say words + lost, is worst case scenario.

 

We have an autistic kid in our neighborhood who’s about 17. He takes walks all the time and I always feel compelled to keep an eye on him, while he’s on my street and I’m doing yard work.

It couldn’t hurt and if he’s unlocking doors, I’d strongly consider it. Not being able to say words + lost, is worst case scenario.

 

We have an autistic kid in our neighborhood who’s about 17. He takes walks all the time and I always feel compelled to keep an eye on him, while he’s on my street and I’m doing yard work.

And thanks for that. Parents of autistic teens/young adults continue to worry because when unaccompanied, others will assume they can communicate, or worse—-take advantage of them.

And thanks for that. Parents of autistic teens/young adults continue to worry because when unaccompanied, others will assume they can communicate, or worse—-take advantage of them.

 

Absolutely and you’re very welcome. The way I see it is, there’s more good people than bad people out there. It sounds like you live in a fine neighborhood with high caliber neighbors. I live in an HOA with two Facebook pages. Everything is noticed within the 300 house subdivision. You can’t leave your dog outside barking for more than 10 mins without the entire neighborhood knowing on FB. I’d encourage you to seek out those good people nearby and let them know if you plan to be there for the long haul. Many people still embrace the fact that “it takes a village.”

I also believe that the blue jack o lantern bucket is used to symbolize trick or treaters that have autism as well for collecting candy. It is used for autism awareness.

We have an autistic kid in our neighborhood who’s about 17. He takes walks all the time and I always feel compelled to keep an eye on him, while he’s on my street and I’m doing yard work.

 

Don't make me like you! :bunny:

 

That is good stuff, John.

I have lived in the Special Olympics world for over 6 years now. My son is now 22 years old and has many friends that are autistic both verbal & non verbal, FMD, Downs etc.

 

For the most part they all accept each other and help each other out with their disabilities.

 

We still have the fear of someone taking advantage of special needs children, mine works at Kroger plays 6 different sports. It gets better.

 

Your approach is not uncommon, necklace/braclet is the most used by the young athletes that are non verbal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.