Kentucky 77 Coll. Of Charleston 61

cvillecat

I watched the 1st 25 minutes of the game last night and I thought that Thomas did play good defense in that time. He was in good defensive position most of the game and did a good job. I cant speak about the last 15 minutes, but he did play well early.

I agree that he doesnt need to play more than Stevenson, but Thomas isnt out there getting us beat either. I think you guys are a little over the top with your criticism. He hasnt been very good by any means, but he does some positive things.

I just don't see him doing anything that is all that positive. A prime example was last night on a 3-1 fast break. He failed to take the proper angle to the basket and had to readjust when he caught the pass. That is fundamental part of the game that any high school player should have learned. Thomas is a Senior at the all-time winningest program in history. He has to know how to fill the lane. The announcer actually said, "That's terrible. Thomas being a senior has to know how to take a proper angle on the break..."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see him doing anything that is all that positive. A prime example was last night on a 3-1 fast break. He failed to take the proper angle to the basket and had to readjust when he caught the pass. That is fundamental part of the game that any high school player should have learned. Thomas is a Senior at the all-time winningest program in history. He has to know how to fill the lane. The announcer actually said, "That's terrible. Thomas being a senior has to know how to take a proper angle on the break..."
I watched him make several very good touch passes and play good defense.

You're getting over the top, on your criticism of him. Offer some solutions or players, that could help UK be better....which should be the ultimate goal, rather than watching to be negative.

I like most fans and BGP posters, am not a "glass is half full" type person but suggestions on who/whom, along with defensive schemes can help justify a position, rather than constant terrible, awful adjectives.

:thumb:

I watched him make several very good touch passes and play good defense.

You're getting over the top, on your criticism of him. Offer some solutions or players, that could help UK be better....which should be the ultimate goal, rather than watching to be negative.

I like most fans and BGP posters, am not a "glass is half full" type person but suggestions on who/whom, along with defensive schemes can help justify a position, rather than constant terrible, awful adjectives.

:thumb:

Perry Stevenson, Jared Carter, or a smaller lineup. Carter hasn't exactly been a world beater, I know, but the jury is still out on him. He's younger, which means he could develop into a better player with more PT and he gives us much more size than Thomas. The verdict is in on Sheray Thomas...he adds next to nothing to our team. Which is the whole point to me...why waste minutes on a guy who hasn't improved since he arrived in Lexington and isn't giving you anything when you have players on the bench who could potentially be huge contributors if they develop. It's ridiculous to slow their development by wasting minutes on Sheray Thomas.

That's my solution.

Watching Sheray Thomas play basketball would be comical if he weren't playing for UK. :lol:

While Stevenson has a huge upside, he isn't ready to play with the big boys just yet. I hope he gets an opportunity against UNC though - I think he can compete with their freshman. They're more talented and polished, but they aren't too much bigger physically. I'm dreading the Big Baby Glen Davis matchup, though.

While Stevenson has a huge upside, he isn't ready to play with the big boys just yet. I hope he gets an opportunity against UNC though - I think he can compete with their freshman. They're more talented and polished, but they aren't too much bigger physically. I'm dreading the Big Baby Glen Davis matchup, though.
It will be interesting, to see how much Stevenson develops physically from now to next year and so on.

He's going to be a good wing player and I think, can know down that 12'-15' range jumper, while helping rebounding on both ends.

I missed that one...but he does seem to be one of Tubby's guys.

All I can figure is that Sheray Thomas rips it up in practice when we can't see...I bet he's averaging a double-double in practice. How else can his playing time even be remotely justified?

Who doesn't tear it up at practice at UK? The Big Blue Sports Network guys talk repeatedly (and have for years) about how good the team looks in practice, then they repeatedly come out and lay bricks and miss rebounding assignments. Maybe Kentucky should play games at Memorial and let the guys wear white mesh tops with blue shorts, while limited media are around. That seems to me to be the time they play the best.

Who doesn't tear it up at practice at UK? The Big Blue Sports Network guys talk repeatedly (and have for years) about how good the team looks in practice, then they repeatedly come out and lay bricks and miss rebounding assignments. Maybe Kentucky should play games at Memorial and let the guys wear white mesh tops with blue shorts, while limited media are around. That seems to me to be the time they play the best.

When they play against each other they are playing weaker competition.

When they play against each other they are playing weaker competition.

Granted, but by your logic, doesn't that mean that the first team at UK should be head-and-shoulders above the second team? And if the second team is that poor and the first team struggles to beat mediocre teams AT RUPP ARENA, what does that say about the state of talent in the University of Kentucky basketball program?

I think you are on to something. I will not however expound because I don't want to upset anyone. I just think that the athletic department needs to take a long look at the state of affairs. If it is where they would like it fine. If it is not then try to do something about it. Fact is you are never standing still, you are either going forward or going backward. It seems that the class of freshman have more potential than other classes. If they can back this class up with another solid group I think we will be going forward if they can't I think we are going backward. This is a critical period that could tip the balance either way.

Doesnt get hardly any boards, doesnt seem to hit many open shots to me either. He just doesnt belong on the floor at a school like UK. Him starting and playing that many minutes shows how far Kentucky basketball has fallen.

4 boards in 25 minutes in college with a center who is getting 8 or 9 every night is hardly any?

He did nothing. You can't give a player 25 minutes and have him produce nothing on a major college basketball team. He looks out of synch all the time. He throws the ball all over the place. He never scores. He never rebounds. He gets abused when trying to guard anyone one on one. He is terrible.

He plays decent defense and plays away from the basket on offense mostly b/c Morris is occupying the post, and with reason. He throws the ball all over the place completely nullifies any chance you have of making a point. Check his turnovers on the year, then get back to me and see if you can make me believe anything you say. Your utter dislike for Sheray comes out when you make that statement b/c it is simply not true. He got boards, and he got defensive boards. How many defensive boards did Stevenson get?

It was a rough watch, the defensive rebounding is a joke. At this point Perry is a role player at best, the guy had one heck of a tournament last year but either his thumb is bad off or he just got lucky, I think it's a bit of both. For this team to succeed Jasper will have to be the man come confernce time, he's a much better PG than Bradley, Ramel is a scorer, Jasper is pass first still like the young guys, PS really showed some offensives moves last night. I know size doesn't equal rebound success but UK has some of the worst 7 foot rebounders I've seen.