BluegrassPreps Pre-Season Football Rankings - Class 4A

Ram

Class 4A

The Class 4A outlook in recent years has been a story of the "Have's and Have-Not's". Johnson Central and Franklin-Simpson have dominated the scene in recent years and will certainly continue to be right in the mix, but new blood has been pumped in from Class 3A teams moving up that will certainly make things much more intriguing. Boyle County and their roster with D-1 talent open as the Pre-Season #1 and they bring Beau Allen's Lexington Catholic with them as a built in District rivalry. Lexington Catholic gets into the heat of things quickly against a veteran Pulaski County team. Central was a monster in Class 3A, they continue to play a stiff schedule like they do every year and open with a ranked 6A Manual squad. Knox Central is searching for respect. The Panthers were a Semi-Finalist a year ago and bring some key players back, but have been shuffled down due to the new arrivals. They have a chance for a statement off the bat against former 4A Ashland.

1. Boyle County vs. 5A Iroquois at Mercer County (8/24)

2. Johnson Central vs. 6A Lafayette

3. Corbin vs. 5A Whitley County

4. Franklin-Simpson vs. 5A Greenwood

5. Madisonville-North Hopkins at 3A Union County

6. Lexington Catholic at 5A #8 Pulaski County

7. Central at 6A #6 Manual

8. Franklin County at 5A East Jessamine

9. Knox Central vs. 3A #5 Ashland

10. Wayne County vs. Shelby County at Lincoln County

Does anyone else think it looks funny with Central at #7?

They look out of place ranked that low until you consider how deep this class is and how little the Jackets return from last year. They lost nearly all of their production on offense and only return two of their top ten tacklers. I think the fact that they're ranked where they are speaks volumes about the type of program Ty Scroggins built and Marvin Dantzler currently runs.

Does anyone else think it looks funny with Central at #7?

I say with only 2 proven starters back from last year, I say they are sitting about right or possibly lower in my opinion. Central lost the house to graduation from the state championship team last season. Definitely will have several players wanting to prove themselves.

This is a telling year for Coach Dantzler and Central.

Not really many remnants on the roster from the Scroggins era, and having to fill some huge holes from last season.

I would be equally as surprised to see Central out of the Top 10 as seeing them at the #1 or #2 spot. Definitely a wildcard.

Injuries destroyed Hopkinsville’s chances last year. If they are healed up, especially at QB, I think they will be in the top 10 most of the year.

I agree and I would put Logan County as a team that can break into the top 10 this year as well.

At the start of the year I’d put them a couple of spots higher. Lex Cath will be good but haven’t proven how good yet.

I got to see most of the South Oldham vs LexCath scrimmage. I believe LexCath’s O-line looked young and a bit small. The QB’s were running for their life quite a few times. Someone told me most if not all five are new starters. If the line comes along I can see them being pretty good!