UT 17 UK 12

letabrotherspeak

I agree with you, but the problem is the gap between those three and the next eight. I think part of the problem is that those other eight plus the bench is very young, but they are fundamentally poor when it comes to tackling. They often are in the wrong place and they don't wrap up well.

I notice alot of the players just come in and try to strip the ball or arm tackle. The only true tacklers that I saw were Woodyard the safety (can't remember his name).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice alot of the players just come in and try to strip the ball or arm tackle. The only true tacklers that I saw were Woodyard the safety (can't remember his name).

Woodyard tackles well, Kelley does well, and McClinton (the safety) is sporadic, but usually fairly solid. That's why it hurt so much on the third down play.

I know what "skill positions" are. I just don't see Mr. Booker as having much of it.;)

Touche, either way I think UK will compete for the SEC east next year if they get better in the offseason.

One huge thing that will help is making this bowl, asides from the obvious of recruiting, self esteem, moral, etc. the bowl game also gives UK another 30 or so practices that in the past few years they havent gotten. And with that extra practice they will obviously continue to get better.

Woodyard tackles well, Kelley does well, and McClinton (the safety) is sporadic, but usually fairly solid. That's why it hurt so much on the third down play.

I didn't notice much out of Kelley - at least I didn't hear his name called on tv. Woodyard looks like an all SEC performer next season if he continues to play at this level. He averages close to 10 tackles a game.

McClinton had a lot of great tackles today, but missed the one that sealed the deal. He too was trying to grab the ball and rip it out instead of just delivering a lick and wrapping him up. The other Safety/Corner played well today (can't remember his name).

Turning points:

-On third and goal from the 8 or 9, UT got down to the half yard line. If UK stops them anywhere from the 2 on, UT probably kicks the field goal instead of going for it, and then UK can take the lead with a field goal.

-On second and goal from the 3, UK gets a delay of game. That is a genuine, bona fide, UK moment. Naturally they only get to the six on the ensuing three plays.

-Missed PAT, missed FG means UK has 12 points instead of 16, and once again, they'd have only needed a field goal for the win.

-UK was inside UT's then yard line four times and only come away with a TD once. They got two field goals on the other posessions, but when you're playing UT in Neyland, you gotta have a TD.

Positive thoughts:

-UK is moving in the right directions. We can hem and haw about the defense, playcalling, etc., but the fact is that UK sans the Louisville and LSU game were in every single game they played, at least for most of the game. Hopefully next year or the next few seasons those breaks that never happened might happen for UK to win a couple. This is a team that could have been 9-3 with the right breaks in the USC and UT game.

-UK is going to a bowl, or at least they really should be.

-UK is so very, very young. They get a lot of people back and when you're 7-5 this year, that means nothing but good things. Recruiting is moving in the right direction as well.

-UK at least was in a position to win against a team that has haunted them every year since 1984.

The Haunting Continues. Good game but too many mistakes. When your inside the 10 you HAVE to score. Good season, and its still not over.

Memphis here I come,

Yoter

are we goin bowlin?

There's no doubt that we are bowlin, just won't be as prestigious of a bowl as we would've had with a win today. Most likely the Liberty Bowl but could fall all the way to the Independence Bowl if the SEC doesn't get two teams in the BCS.

Turning points:

-On third and goal from the 8 or 9, UT got down to the half yard line. If UK stops them anywhere from the 2 on, UT probably kicks the field goal instead of going for it, and then UK can take the lead with a field goal.

-On second and goal from the 3, UK gets a delay of game. That is a genuine, bona fide, UK moment. Naturally they only get to the six on the ensuing three plays.

-Missed PAT, missed FG means UK has 12 points instead of 16, and once again, they'd have only needed a field goal for the win.

-UK was inside UT's then yard line four times and only come away with a TD once. They got two field goals on the other posessions, but when you're playing UT in Neyland, you gotta have a TD.

Positive thoughts:

-UK is moving in the right directions. We can hem and haw about the defense, playcalling, etc., but the fact is that UK sans the Louisville and LSU game were in every single game they played, at least for most of the game. Hopefully next year or the next few seasons those breaks that never happened might happen for UK to win a couple. This is a team that could have been 9-3 with the right breaks in the USC and UT game.

-UK is going to a bowl, or at least they really should be.

-UK is so very, very young. They get a lot of people back and when you're 7-5 this year, that means nothing but good things. Recruiting is moving in the right direction as well.

-UK at least was in a position to win against a team that has haunted them every year since 1984.

Mark my words next year the streak against Tennessee is going to end.

Great effort by the Cats just came up short (again):cry: They played their tails off and I commend them for that. They just made to many mistakes to win against a team like Tennessee. Poor tackling and a non-kicking game decided their fate. As someone else mentioned the red zone offense came up short on a couple series that would have put the game away.

Can't fault the effort but it is not a win and I am sure the players are hurting. It has been a good year and the Cats football team has improved. A bowl win will keep them going in the right direction and get them over the top.

Go Big Blue!!