US Women's World Cup Embarrassment?

There is controversy over how the US Women behaved in their 13 to 0 win over Thailand in their 1st World Cup match. The controversy is about how much the US women frolicked and jumped for joy with each goal they added late in the match. Did the US team overdo it? What was more embarrassing - how bad Thailand lost or how the US team celebrated those late goals?

This isn't slow-pitch softball. This is the World Cup. Everyone worked hard to be here.

It's not football or basketball where you can put in the scrubs and then applaud them for working hard. There are no scrubs. These are the best 18 players in the US. You only get three substitutions and she used them all.

The US had 73% possession and FORTY shots. Honestly, it's amazing they only scored 13.

The only one you can really shake your head at is Carli Lloyd slotting one in during stoppage time but, I really can't be bothered.

Can't speak to that, since I didn't see it. But, it does bring up a question for me...does the soccer substitution rules allow for whole-sale subs the way other sports can?

No. You get three. Coach used them all at halftime.

I see it as two different issues.

1) Scoring 13 goals is NOT piling it on because goal differential is important for determining if a squad is one of the two teams that moves out of the group stage to the knockout stage. Score as many goals as you can.

2) Over the top celebrations when up by that many goals could be considered inappropriate. I'll leave that to the coaching and veterans on the team to monitor.

Another counterpoint... hasn't really been happy times around US Women's soccer lately. They've spent the better part of the last year bogged down in a lawsuit against their own federation over wages and conditions for players. They got out there and played. I don't blame them for anything.

No problem with the score or the way they celebrated each goal. For those who disagree, take for example the last couple goals Morgan scored, all she did was smile and hugged her teammates. There was zero celebration that look to be taunting of the opposing team.

How about the class the players showed at the end of the game? The US players not only shook hands with the Thailand players but hugged them an appeared to be speaking to them with genuine respect.

Dancing 10 goals in?

Yeah, I hate to be the old man get off my lawn here but.... :lol2:

Act like you've been there before. You're the defending champs, and Thailand is the equivalent of JV high school team.

Run the score up as much as you want, especially seeing as goal differential can matter. But let's relax on the celebrating like we won the World Cup again.

Act like you've been there before. You're the defending champs, and Thailand is the equivalent of JV high school team.

Run the score up as much as you want, especially seeing as goal differential can matter. But let's relax on the celebrating like we won the World Cup again.

That made me laugh out loud!

This.

By the way, just heard that Thailand beat Indonesia 13-0 in qualifying rounds.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a 13-0 score. The problem some are having is some of the goal celebrations.

I watched the last 6 goals and in no way do I think the celebrations were "over the top." And I AM a Get Off My Lawn Old Man!!! Aren't some of these folks complaining some of the same folks who celebrate bat flips and such?