US Women's World Cup Embarrassment?

Yeah, I hate to be the old man get off my lawn here but.... :lol2:

Act like you've been there before. You're the defending champs, and Thailand is the equivalent of JV high school team.

Run the score up as much as you want, especially seeing as goal differential can matter. But let's relax on the celebrating like we won the World Cup again.

This.

By the way, just heard that Thailand beat Indonesia 13-0 in qualifying rounds.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a 13-0 score. The problem some are having is some of the goal celebrations.

In soccer everyone always celebrates after every goal, because well usually lucky to just score 2 or more goals in a game. So their whole life basically been trained to celebrate when you do get that goal. So if people don't have a problem with the 13 goals, then I don't know how people can be upset with the celebrations. If you are fine with playing hard and pressing to towards the goal, can't be upset for celebrating when they do score then. At that point if they do score and really don't do anything and just walk back to mid field, then doesn't that also look disrespectful?

Also there were a few players who scored their first ever World Cup goal. I believe one of those goals was the 11th goal. Should she and the team not celebrate her first ever World Cup goal?

Imo there is really no right answer here. If people are mad at the celebrating, then they should have wanted the U.S. to not even keep trying to score. You really can't have it both ways in soccer. When in soccer you always been taught to celebrate after each goal. On the flip sidr if one of the tie breakers is goal differential then, you really can't just lay off and keep passing the ball around until over.

So really there is no right or wrong answer here. The only thing that could have made it better was if Thailand could have done anything to at least slow them down.

I don't know the dynamics of all the players, but if it is your first World Cup goal, I don't care what the score is, feel free to celebrate. Or Alex Morgan scoring her 5th goal, setting a new record, dance around.

The others, maybe tone it back.

I say that having not seen a single celebration.