March 27, 20197 yr Author Money can buy privilege or special treatment, I agree. But I don't think the money that you or I earn is a privilege...we earned it. If the money I earned allows me to provide for my family better, I just don't see that as privilege. The bolded is what I'm saying. I'm just saying you earned the money, therefore you earned the privilege.
March 27, 20197 yr I don't think people assume it's limited to one group, at least in my personal experiences. If you think one group gets more attention than others, maybe we need to examine the cause(s) of that. Again I agree completely about evading the law. No privilege should be able to be taken advantage of to evade the law. But it happens all the time, and apparently is only an issue in certain situations. It's always an issue. I don't expect any of the famous or rich people caught up in the admissions scandal to go to prison either, even though some of them should. Martha Stewart went to prison, money and privilege didn't save her. OJ walked, race didn't doom him to prison, his money and celebrity privilege allowed him to walk on murder charges. Some celebrities go to prison for not paying taxes while others parade around taking a morale high ground while all the while they owe millions. There are cases daily to get upset about or that we don't agree with.
March 27, 20197 yr Is there a difference between influence and privilege? If so, what is the difference?
March 27, 20197 yr I believe the following (even though in reality it doesn't always happen this way unfortunately). With privilege (as defined here so far in this thread), should come corresponding responsibility to help those around me. I'm not ashamed to write that I am getting that view from my Judo-Christian values, beliefs and tradition.
March 28, 20197 yr Aren't both Lebron James and Tom Brady considered Privilege? In a Sports world I would think they are. At least I view them both as that. But as far as you and me? Nope.
March 28, 20197 yr I believe the following (even though in reality it doesn't always happen this way unfortunately). With privilege (as defined here so far in this thread), should come corresponding responsibility to help those around me. I'm not ashamed to write that I am getting that view from my Judo-Christian values, beliefs and tradition.
March 28, 20197 yr [ATTACH=CONFIG]68259[/ATTACH] Give him a break, it's hard to reach the keyboard with his short arms. :lol2:
March 28, 20197 yr I'm not sure what is meant by "privilege" by most people in this thread. Usually, the context in which I hear the term used it seems to be something negative or unjust, an advantage unfairly given to one person that denies another deserving person an opportunity. I suppose there are various scenarios where this is played out. Let me share an occasion where I benefited from "privilege." When I got my first full-time, adult job (meaning post-high school), I was being shown around the company by an older man (nearing retirement age). I was getting a wide-ranging tour that was taking longer than most other new employees. I asked him why I got the job rather than some of the other applicants, some of whom I met. He said that I dressed well for the interview, I did well in school, I interviewed well. BTW, I wore a suit even though it was for a blue-collar job. Then he told me the real reason. You come from good stock. He had worked with man Dad for years at another company. This guy's son was the manager of the field office out which I'd be working. No doubt, he put a good word in for me because he knew my Dad. I got the benefit of a job. That was privilege. But I consider it earned privilege. It was earned by my Dad through 26 years of a faithful work record at his company. And in my book, there is nothing wrong with that. They figured maybe I had learned a set of values and a work ethic that they saw my Dad employ for a couple of decades. Lots of what is called privilege is the result of good choices made by the previous generation. The next generation benefits and does better with its opportunities than the previous generation. That is how it is supposed to work.
March 28, 20197 yr Author I'm not sure what is meant by "privilege" by most people in this thread. Usually, the context in which I hear the term used it seems to be something negative or unjust, an advantage unfairly given to one person that denies another deserving person an opportunity. I suppose there are various scenarios where this is played out. Let me share an occasion where I benefited from "privilege." When I got my first full-time, adult job (meaning post-high school), I was being shown around the company by an older man (nearing retirement age). I was getting a wide-ranging tour that was taking longer than most other new employees. I asked him why I got the job rather than some of the other applicants, some of whom I met. He said that I dressed well for the interview, I did well in school, I interviewed well. BTW, I wore a suit even though it was for a blue-collar job. Then he told me the real reason. You come from good stock. He had worked with man Dad for years at another company. This guy's son was the manager of the field office out which I'd be working. No doubt, he put a good word in for me because he knew my Dad. I got the benefit of a job. That was privilege. But I consider it earned privilege. It was earned by my Dad through 26 years of a faithful work record at his company. And in my book, there is nothing wrong with that. They figured maybe I had learned a set of values and a work ethic that they saw my Dad employ for a couple of decades. Lots of what is called privilege is the result of good choices made by the previous generation. The next generation benefits and does better with its opportunities than the previous generation. That is how it is supposed to work. I agree that was privilege. But that privilege wasn't earned by you. I disagree that "that is how it is supposed to work." That's how the Good Ole Boys club started and continues today.
March 29, 20197 yr I agree that was privilege. But that privilege wasn't earned by you. I disagree that "that is how it is supposed to work." That's how the Good Ole Boys club started and continues today. I disagree. The man knew he came from a good family..not rich, but a good family. He further demonstrated those family values by dressing well, speaking well, and doing well in school. There is nothing wrong with that. I grew up like that. We had no money, but were known as an honest hard working family. That’s not priveledge, that’s earning a good reputation. If a good reputation gets you what you want then you earned it. That IS how it is supposed to work. The good old boy network is a bunch of successful men taking care of each other, and networking within their circle at the exclusion of others who may have earned it. I don’t think that’s what Oldgrappler was talking about. Edited March 29, 20197 yr by Beechwoodfan
March 29, 20197 yr Give him a break, it's hard to reach the keyboard with his short arms. :lol2: No break necessary, I have no excuse. The "e" is on the same level as an "o" on the keyboard. For those who have no idea what we are talking about - it's properly spelled as "Judeo-Christian".
March 29, 20197 yr Author I disagree. The man knew he came from a good family..not rich, but a good family. He further demonstrated those family values by dressing well, speaking well, and doing well in school. There is nothing wrong with that. I grew up like that. We had no money, but were known as an honest hard working family. That’s not priveledge, that’s earning a good reputation. If a good reputation gets you what you want then you earned it. That IS how it is supposed to work. The good old boy network is a bunch of successful men taking care of each other, and networking within their circle at the exclusion of others who may have earned it. I don’t think that’s what Oldgrappler was talking about. Simply put, we disagree.
March 30, 20197 yr A high paying job would be an example, assuming you actually earned that job and the salary that comes along with it. So, let’s say you have a high paying job that you earned 100% on your own. Along the way you met a lot of great people and made connections. Your college age child shows an interest in your business. You would never use your job or connections to help him/her get an internship or a job?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.