Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When Is Privilege Okay?

Featured Replies

A good family environment is not only a privilege but it is a catalyst to even more privilege as well. Acknowledging that isn’t demonizing it all.

 

The current context of privilege in popular use seems to be a demonizing tool of divisiveness.

 

Certain advantages and certain privileges definitely come with some conditions. Being from a 'good family' definitely provides advantages over those from suffering families. I am just not sure I would call it privileges or that all these advantages are themselves privileges.

 

But I am struggling with the use of 'xxxxx privilege' where xxxxx is the condition that provides access to privileges. I will try, best as possible, to explain in a further post.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is 'xxxxx privilege' or 'being xxxxxx is a privilege' often used where the correct term to describe the situation should be 'xxxxxx advantage' 'being xxxxxx provides advantages'.

 

Word-smithing? Maybe. But here it goes.

 

The condition that affords access to privileges is not really 'a privilege'. If you fly you see 'privilege' on any full size flight. Those with first class seats get all sorts of privileges. Boarding first is a privilege. Free drinks is a privilege. So being the holder of a first class airline seat provides access to specific granted privileges. But this does not make the person them any more or less 'privileged' over those riding a middle seat in coach.

 

It just feels like the common use of the term 'privilege' when associated with the adjective preceding it is not usually accurate and its usually a tool used for division.

 

I probably did a bad job here but took a crack at it.

The current context of privilege in popular use seems to be a demonizing tool of divisiveness.

 

Certain advantages and certain privileges definitely come with some conditions. Being from a 'good family' definitely provides advantages over those from suffering families. I am just not sure I would call it privileges or that all these advantages are themselves privileges.

 

But I am struggling with the use of 'xxxxx privilege' where xxxxx is the condition that provides access to privileges. I will try, best as possible, to explain in a further post.

 

Are you on twitter?

Are you on twitter?

 

Barely, and try keep any followings to just sports or weather.

This is an outstanding article written by NBA player, Kyle Korver. I hope folks take some time to read it. He offers a different perspective and writes an article that I don’t think is one that condemns anyone but comes from a tone of understanding. IMO that’s always a huge step in the right direction for this discussion.

 

Privileged | By Kyle Korver

 

“Two concepts that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately are guilt and responsibility.

 

When it comes to racism in America, I think that guilt and responsibility tend to be seen as more or less the same thing. But I’m beginning to understand how there’s a real difference.

 

As white people, are we guilty for the sins of our forefathers? No, I don’t think so.

 

But are we responsible for them? Yes, I believe we are.

 

And I guess I’ve come to realize that when we talk about solutions to systemic racism — police reform, workplace diversity, affirmative action, better access to healthcare, even reparations? It’s not about guilt. It’s not about pointing fingers, or passing blame.

 

It’s about responsibility. It’s about understanding that when we’ve said the word “equality,” for generations, what we’ve really meant is equality for a certain group of people. It’s about understanding that when we’ve said the word “inequality,” for generations, what we’ve really meant is slavery, and its aftermath — which is still being felt to this day. It’s about understanding on a fundamental level that black people and white people, they still have it different in America. And that those differences come from an ugly history….. not some random divide.”

Edited by bugatti

Thanks for sharing the article, PP92!

 

I know that, as a white man, I have to hold my fellow white men accountable.

 

We all have to hold each other accountable.

 

And we all have to be accountable — period. Not just for our own actions, but also for the ways that our inaction can create a “safe” space for toxic behavior.

 

I will admit, this is where I feel a lot of us, myself included, probably fall. We may not be doing anything specifically that is "wrong"...and we're probably pretty proud of that, and do a little chest thumping to show it. But, neither are we doing anything to stop those who are doing wrong. How many people around that loudmouth in Salt Lake City heard what he said and didn't step in? How many of us can (honestly) say we would have? We have to be more aware of this aspect.

 

As to the issue of "guilt" versus "responsibility" quoted by PP92...while I believe I understand the point Kyle was trying to make...I think often it's the choice of words that is what trips a lot of triggers in these types of discussions. Unfortunately, sometimes a word can have more than one meaning. (In fact, you look up synonyms of "responsibility" and one of them is "guilt"!) So, when one person uses the word "responsibility" in another fashion, some see that as an accusation of blame or guilt, and then walls go up and nothing else is heard. I hope people take the time to understand that, and continue reading.

Here is a video that I think helps give a good idea of what privilege is and how it gives others some advantage whether earned or not.

 

Here is a video that I think helps give a good idea of what privilege is and how it gives others some advantage whether earned or not.

 

 

Good video!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.