Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 62 Wofford 56 (NCAA Tournament Round 2)

Featured Replies

Their best player is out. Of course they aren’t going to be playing their best basketball of the season game 2 without him...Seems obvious.

 

Why in the world are people talking about Baker transferring?

 

In today's world when people dont play much, players transfer. Which is something we have seen happen a decent amount under Cal. After the last month better chance Herro now also leaves. So then guard position may not be as crowded, but if Herro were to stay. Then the backcourt would be crowded, and Baker could be looking at limited minutes like this year. Not to hard to figure that out.

  • Replies 102
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree that just because you won doesn’t mean that’s the only thing that matters. The goal is to be playing your best basketball of the year right now. If that’s the best they got, they won’t make a run. Scoring 62 is fine against Wofford. But to say I’m feeling great about this team after beating Wofford by only 6 would be a lie. Do I expect them to play better than that, yes. But that was a pathetic offensive performance from a team as talented as UK.

 

Yes that is the only thing that matters. Most teams in a tournament where they have to win 6 games is going to have a game or two that isnt perfect. All that matters at the end of the day is winning.

 

So you are basically saying if they won 77 to 71 it would have been acceptable, since they scored more? Yet you discredit how well the defense played then.

Yes that is the only thing that matters. Most teams in a tournament where they have to win 6 games is going to have a game or two that isnt perfect. All that matters at the end of the day is winning.

 

So you are basically saying if they won 77 to 71 it would have been acceptable, since they scored more? Yet you discredit how well the defense played then.

I’m not discrediting the defense. The defense was great. All I said about the defense was that it didn’t cause Magee to miss all 12 shots. He had a bad game at the wrong time. The pressure of the UK defense clearly bothered him, but even with perfect defense you have to expect great shooters to hit at least a couple 3’s when they take that many. I wasn’t trying to discredit the defense. I just think a team as talented as Kentucky would score WAY more than 62 points even without their best player against a team that can’t match up athletically at any position. Winning isn’t the only the thing that matters. If you get complacent with just winning you won’t achieve greatness. I just disagree with that attitude. No great player, no great team has ever had that attitude. This team can be something special, but they can’t have another effort like this one.

Just look at the shots he made against Kansas State. Those were very tough and much like the shots he took against UK, except they went in against Kansas State. As for Herro I still think he has consistently shown he is a better shooter off the dribble even with a hand his face, than he has been squared open off a pass. Shoot even the two shots he made yesterday including the big 3 with five minutes left came off the dribble with a man still on him. He clanked the shots off passes even when set.

 

You and I just don't see the same thing on Herro. The three he made at the end, he was squared up set up and hit the shot. Yes, there was a defender there but he was squared up facing the basket. He is good off the dribble on the pull up jumper. He has been good on that running half hook off the dribble. If he is not squared up on threes, I bet he shoots 25% or less. But that isn't just Herro - that is true for everyone. James Harden rarely shoots a three off balance and not squared up.

PJ Washington.

 

They won't be playing their best ball when he has 0 minutes.

I just want good ball. 62 points is a mediocre offensive performance.

You keep acting like Wofford is not good. IMO North Carolina is ecstatic that UK beat Wofford. If I were designing a team to beat UNC, it would look a lot like Wofford.

Im not saying Wofford isn’t good, they are a great mid major basketball team. UK, Duke, UNC, etc. shouldn’t ever concern theirselves with the Wofford of the world. A completely different caliber of athlete.

I just want good ball. 62 points is a mediocre offensive performance.

 

In ten of the games so far, the winning team had 70 points or less.

 

Six of the last ten national champions scored 71 or less in their title game win.

Im not saying Wofford isn’t good, they are a great mid major basketball team. UK, Duke, UNC, etc. shouldn’t ever concern theirselves with the Wofford of the world. A completely different caliber of athlete.

 

Absolutely a different caliber athlete. But in basketball if you get a great ball handling team that doesn't turn it over, is smart, disciplined, great free throw shooters and very good defensively you can compete with anyone even with lesser athletes.

In today's world when people dont play much, players transfer. Which is something we have seen happen a decent amount under Cal.

 

He will always be recruited over too.

 

But I hope he stays. I hope he isn't even considering a transfer.

I’m not discrediting the defense. The defense was great. All I said about the defense was that it didn’t cause Magee to miss all 12 shots. He had a bad game at the wrong time. The pressure of the UK defense clearly bothered him, but even with perfect defense you have to expect great shooters to hit at least a couple 3’s when they take that many. I wasn’t trying to discredit the defense. I just think a team as talented as Kentucky would score WAY more than 62 points even without their best player against a team that can’t match up athletically at any position. Winning isn’t the only the thing that matters. If you get complacent with just winning you won’t achieve greatness. I just disagree with that attitude. No great player, no great team has ever had that attitude. This team can be something special, but they can’t have another effort like this one.

 

They had 2 days basically to prepare to play 2 games without their best player. Wofford was considered a top 20 team in the country this year. They did a great job scraping and playing physical on defense and collapsing inside not letting UK get inside. Sometimes you just gave to give credit where credit is due, they played solid on defense. However, you seem to keep ignoring the fact that Washington didnt play, Johnson only played half the game due to foul trouble, and Herro had an off game. Probably because of the effort he gave on the defensive end. Despite all that they were able to do enough to win, and basically stay in the lead all second half.

 

It's one game at a time, they won this won. Now get back to work and get ready for next challenge. In the NCAA tournament winning is all that matters no matter how it happens.

Im not saying Wofford isn’t good, they are a great mid major basketball team. UK, Duke, UNC, etc. shouldn’t ever concern theirselves with the Wofford of the world. A completely different caliber of athlete.

 

Regardless what you think of them...they have the 11th most effecient offense in the country and their KenPom rating going into the UK game was 18th I think. I don't have to point out that there are a ton of power 6 teams that are ranked below them. Kentucky didn't play great, but also didn't play horrible...every game isn't going to be a beat down even against non-power 6 conference teams.

 

I've even heard of supposed great teams, routinely losing to run of the mill teams on a yearly basis.

Too many replies back to my posts to get to everyone, but basically. That was a lackluster performance from UK imo. You don’t have to agree with it. I don’t think scoring 62 points against any team is ever good enough for me to say that was a good game from UK. I guess my standards are higher. I get they played a great game defensively, but it was still a really off shooting night from Wofford no matter you slice it. Yeah winning is the objective, but I guess I just expect more out my teams than just winning. I would have a hard time believing Duke fans would be feeling good after their win tonight.

^^**

 

Duke fans are ecstatic after that game. They should have lost.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.