Covington Catholic 64 Beechwood 48 (9th Region Championship)

Great foul at the end of the game by Duncan Baugh. Can’t let them get away with that. Cov Cath won this one. Beechwood didn’t hit shots that they needed to hit. But most importantly, I hope Frederick watched and took in how the Beechwood team and faithful took the loss. They watched CCH accept their trophy and applauded them when they did so. Frederick NEVER clapped when Beechwood won the district. I will say Beechwood lost the Beechwood way. CCH will get away with what they need to in the name of a championship...and that’s exactly how Frederick wants it! Great season Beechwood and TTS.

Honest question...

In the District Final, the bald assistant on Beechwood’s staff “shhhhhh’d” the Crazies after a late, go ahead basket.

Is that the Beechwood Way, too?

My guess is not. My guess is he is a good guy, who volunteers his time to help high school athletics, that got caught up in an emotional situation against a big rival in literally, one of Beechwood basketball’s all time moments.

I’m sure the evil & privileged Crazies had it comin.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball sure is an interesting game. So many twists and turns, little plays here and there that turn into big difference makers, momentum swings that get in the players' heads, etc. Beechwood loses by 20+ to Cooper and then controls the game against them in regional (that game really shouldn't have gone to OT). Beechwood beats CCH twice and then loses by double digits. Little things in game flow make a difference and make scores lopsided. Beechwood got the lead against Cooper and was able to spread them out and control the game. Then the next night Covington Catholic does the same thing to Beechwood.

My thoughts on the game and some comments above:

- First, the blocked dunk attempt ... Thelen is a very aggressive player. He attacks hard all the time. It isn't in him to kill clock and run out the game, even with a comfortable double digit lead in the final couple minutes. He went for it and Baugh was not going to let him get it. Hard play by both. Personally, I am not sure it warranted a flagrant but I believe the refs felt they had to call it to keep the game under control with the scuffling afterward. Enough of that.

- Beechwood had to feel pretty good going into half. The game was going a lot like the first two games. The guys Beechwood wanted shooting the ball for CCH were taking shots. Beechwood was getting good looks, they just weren't falling. Those same open 3's went in on Monday night when Beechwood went 12/17 on 3's against Dixie. At half, if you were a Beechwood fan you were saying we can't shoot any worse and the guys who hit shots for CCH are not going to keep hitting them. Those halftime locker rooms had to be interesting considering this game was going so similar to the first two meetings.

- CCH box and 1 ... The best thing about that was it set a very aggressive defensive tone for the Colonels. Fleek did a good job on Draud right out of the gate. Beechwood has seen that defense many times this year but the Tigers did not attack it very well.

- Rebounding ... no one has talked about the rebounding but I thought it was a big factor. Even when Beechwood got stops it seemed like CCH was able to get rebounds and second and third chance baskets. That also kept Beechwood from pushing the ball up court in transition.

- Coaches ... I thought both coaches had good game plans and made good moves. I would have liked to see Beechwood stick with their 3/4 court press more and the half court trap. That is a long court to go full court press. Plus CCH was doing a good job using the court, throwing long passes over the press and then CCH was getting easy 2 on 1 conversions on the back of the press. I liked Ruthsatz putting a passive 3/4 court press on at the end to sow down Beechwood and use more clock.

- Key play ... Beechwood was making their last ditch run , had it to 13 with the ball and there was still four and a half minutes left. If they hit a three there to get it to 10, the screws tighten on CCH after blowing that much of the lead. But the Tigers turned it over and never could get any closer after that.

Bottom line, for Beechwood they need to make their three pointers and they missed so many open three pointers that it got in their heads. CCH played as well as I have seen them play. It sure wasn't the game I expected to see but it was interesting. That's basketball.

Congrat to the Colonels and good luck next week.

Congratulations to Cov Cath, 9th Region champs.

Well done on a great season, Beechwood! Talk about continuous improvement from the beginning of the season to the end. Was really hoping the Tigers would make the trip to Rupp.

CovCath finished 19/38 on free throws. Really need to clean that up moving forward.

On the season the Colonels shot 67.5% from the FT line.

I've always claimed that FT shooting in any particular game is a variable. Some night good FT shooting works for you, and other nights poor FT shooting works against you. But, it's not really something that any team or coach can really control on a game to game basis. It's the complete body of work that counts. 67.5% is certainly on par with what most high school teams shoot.

On the season Beechwood shot 69.5%, and other neighboring regional champs Scott County shoots 74.4%, Campbell County shoots 70.7% and Walton-Verona hits at a 59.8% clip.

Good and bad FT shooting within a game is also contagious, and in this case, it appears that it was the poor FT shooting down the stretch that was catching.

Just as you have to often overcome officiating, poor shooting, and foul trouble to win games, so did the Colonels take care of business in the other facets of the game and were able to overcome their spotty FT shooting to win the game (handily).

Congrats to CCH on a great win last night. I anticipated a tight battle like the earlier matchups between the Colonels and the Tigers but honestly, the game was never really in doubt. CCH took a big lead early and kept grinding. After the game, I heard some Beechwood fans saying the shots simply weren't dropping. I would agree but I think a large portion of "why" is not that the Tigers were having an off shooting night...a large portion has to be credited to the CCH staff for coming up with a defensive plan that gave the Tigers few open looks. I think only Draud ended up in double digits and the majority of their other scorers were in single digits? Best of luck to the Colonels moving forward and well done to the Tigers for a great season...they are young and have a bright future.

Key stat of the game and unsung heroes for CCH:

Moser and Jackson go 5/8 on three's.

I have to believe if you told Beechwood before the game that those two will shoot 8 three's in the game, Beechwood thinks they win by double digits.

CCh with 28 points out of the 2 guard spot .. who would’ve guessed!

Basketball sure is an interesting game. So many twists and turns, little plays here and there that turn into big difference makers, momentum swings that get in the players' heads, etc. Beechwood loses by 20+ to Cooper and then controls the game against them in regional (that game really shouldn't have gone to OT). Beechwood beats CCH twice and then loses by double digits. Little things in game flow make a difference and make scores lopsided. Beechwood got the lead against Cooper and was able to spread them out and control the game. Then the next night Covington Catholic does the same thing to Beechwood.

My thoughts on the game and some comments above:

- First, the blocked dunk attempt ... Thelen is a very aggressive player. He attacks hard all the time. It isn't in him to kill clock and run out the game, even with a comfortable double digit lead in the final couple minutes. He went for it and Baugh was not going to let him get it. Hard play by both. Personally, I am not sure it warranted a flagrant but I believe the refs felt they had to call it to keep the game under control with the scuffling afterward. Enough of that.

- Beechwood had to feel pretty good going into half. The game was going a lot like the first two games. The guys Beechwood wanted shooting the ball for CCH were taking shots. Beechwood was getting good looks, they just weren't falling. Those same open 3's went in on Monday night when Beechwood went 12/17 on 3's against Dixie. At half, if you were a Beechwood fan you were saying we can't shoot any worse and the guys who hit shots for CCH are not going to keep hitting them. Those halftime locker rooms had to be interesting considering this game was going so similar to the first two meetings.

- CCH box and 1 ... The best thing about that was it set a very aggressive defensive tone for the Colonels. Fleek did a good job on Draud right out of the gate. Beechwood has seen that defense many times this year but the Tigers did not attack it very well.

- Rebounding ... no one has talked about the rebounding but I thought it was a big factor. Even when Beechwood got stops it seemed like CCH was able to get rebounds and second and third chance baskets. That also kept Beechwood from pushing the ball up court in transition.

- Coaches ... I thought both coaches had good game plans and made good moves. I would have liked to see Beechwood stick with their 3/4 court press more and the half court trap. That is a long court to go full court press. Plus CCH was doing a good job using the court, throwing long passes over the press and then CCH was getting easy 2 on 1 conversions on the back of the press. I liked Ruthsatz putting a passive 3/4 court press on at the end to sow down Beechwood and use more clock.

- Key play ... Beechwood was making their last ditch run , had it to 13 with the ball and there was still four and a half minutes left. If they hit a three there to get it to 10, the screws tighten on CCH after blowing that much of the lead. But the Tigers turned it over and never could get any closer after that.

Bottom line, for Beechwood they need to make their three pointers and they missed so many open three pointers that it got in their heads. CCH played as well as I have seen them play. It sure wasn't the game I expected to see but it was interesting. That's basketball.

Congrat to the Colonels and good luck next week.

Well said, VOR!!

CovCath finished 19/38 on free throws. Really need to clean that up moving forward.

But to prove I'm not a curmudgeon, 15 assists on 20 made field goals, I do like that stat.

Yes-even shooting a average percentage would have made this a 25 point game. They are clearly STILL the class of the 9th.

4 TITLES IN 6 YEARS, with two state championships, and a state final four to boot. People mocked if they were the greatest dynasty in the history of NKY, but I am not sure how they are not part of the conversation.

7 straight years in the 9th Region championship, with an 18-3 record in Regional games. That's an impressive run.

This year may be the most impressive, considering what they had to replace from last season. This year's senior class waited their turn after being behind last year's group for 3 years. Glad to see them get rewarded.

I stirred things up with my classless dunk attempt comment. I don't think I've ever had a dislike on here and that post got four of them plus some other negative posts. There were some good points made.

I want to make it clear that my classless comment referred to the play made and not the player. There is a difference. Since Beechwood was still playing hard and committing fouls I have changed my mind on that play being classless and apologize for bringing that into the game thread. As to dunks in the last minute or so of a game being classless, I will comment in the other thread that is focused on that.

Good luck to the Colonels.