2A Play-off Picture

Play 2 Win

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite. Everyone knew that Male would have a tough time with Trinity.

As for the national ranking ... big deal. Lots of good it did them.

It wasn't just Owensboro Catholic. Several of the top contenders fielded better teams last year, in my opinion ... Trigg County and Owensboro Catholic in the west and Belfry and maybe Russell in the east, to name some.

I believe my alma matter came away with the title last yr.

That hit by Jones was HUGE! He literally lifted Gross off the ground in a massive hit, but more importantly he stopped a TD.

Belfry proceeded to take the ball 98 yards for a TD after that turnover.

Actually it was the guy that grabbed the back of Gross's shoulder pads that lifted him up. Jones came in a put a helmet right on the ball. It was a huge play and probably the difference in the game. I believe Howard took a sweep 80+ yards on third down right after that happened. It was a big turn around.

It wasn't just Owensboro Catholic. Several of the top contenders fielded better teams last year, in my opinion ... Trigg County and Owensboro Catholic in the west and Belfry and maybe Russell in the east, to name some.

Being nationally ranked is a big honor. Like you said, BIG DEAL, MY POINT was that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. THanks for backing my statement.

Probably #37 Micheal Hackney was the kid who had a hand on the shoulder pads. That kid was ridiculous.

The pertinent point of this history lesson is this: A big play at home can make a huge difference in the momentum (and eventual outcome) of a game. I think Belfry v Russell is the best of "real" 2a football this season.

That said. I personally don't hate on Mercer Co. I think they have a great team who deserves credit. If things were normal however, I think most BGP posters would agree that Russell @ Belfry is essentially the 2a state championship.

Go Pirates! Take State!

Being nationally ranked is a big honor. Like you said, BIG DEAL, MY POINT was that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. THanks for backing my statement.
Yeah, but national rankings are pretty bogus ... and Trinity over Male isn't that big of an upset. I don't think Trinity over anyone in this state is much of an upset.

I believe Belfry this year is much better than last years squad........

I do think the 03' was the best team of them all

Probably #37 Micheal Hackney was the kid who had a hand on the shoulder pads. That kid was ridiculous.

The pertinent point of this history lesson is this: A big play at home can make a huge difference in the momentum (and eventual outcome) of a game. I think Belfry v Russell is the best of "real" 2a football this season.

That said. I personally don't hate on Mercer Co. I think they have a great team who deserves credit. If things were normal however, I think most BGP posters would agree that Russell @ Belfry is essentially the 2a state championship.

Go Pirates! Take State!

All I can say Cam is :rolleyes: .

I don't see it that way and I'm not sure the trophy will read any different regardless of who hoists it.

I suppose the apologetics by some on here are either excuses if they lose to Mercer, or a way to build up the victory even more when you beat Mercer.

As a fan with no dog in this hunt I think all the jabs at consolidation have begun to seem old and petty.

Go Pirates! Take State!

You are right about Russell @ Belfry being the real state game it is not the Mercer co. kids fault that the powers to be messed this thing up.

All I can say Cam is :rolleyes: .

I don't see it that way and I'm not sure the trophy will read any different regardless of who hoists it.

I suppose the apologetics by some on here are either excuses if they lose to Mercer, or a way to build up the victory even more when you beat Mercer.

As a fan with no dog in this hunt I think all the jabs at consolidation have begun to seem old and petty.

I agree, its a dead horse. Let's just play ball.

Owensboro Catholic over Mercer County would be a huge upset, much bigger than Trinity over Male. If you don't see that, you're looking at the world through green blinders.

We look through them every year, every sport program we have to offer. Did you know, they are changing our school name to Owensboro Sports Academy, I just love it, got a nice ring.

Actually it was the guy that grabbed the back of Gross's shoulder pads that lifted him up. Jones came in a put a helmet right on the ball. It was a huge play and probably the difference in the game. I believe Howard took a sweep 80+ yards on third down right after that happened. It was a big turn around.

#23 Chris Varney had Gross from behind, Jones came in and laid the hit. Two big runs by Howard, a face mask penalty, and two big runs by Jones resulted in the Jones TD. Howard's run came right after Meko kicked a field goal & his ensuing kickoff resulted in a touchback. The 80-yard TD run was the last play of the 3rd quarter.

BTW...Howard caused Gross' fumble at the end of the 1st half by knocking a blocker into an unsuspecting Gross.