Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell 31 Corbin 23

Featured Replies

Last year versuses Belfry really exemplified Clark's ability to manage his emotions and it was the most impressive thing I saw. Save a big run and big pass Belfry contained him pretty well last year... and in the second half for all intensive purposes shut him down holding him to under 20 yards.... as Belfry continued to gain momentum and dominate the second half Clark could very have easily have folded mentally... but instead he steps up and makes that big interception to seal the game.

 

That play itself spoke volumes about this kid...:thumb:

He really does step up. Corbin frustrated him running the ball. But they also frustrated Rockcastle Co and Bell Co this year as well.

 

Even without the big yards rushing he made huge plays as a reciever and on defense. The kid is competitor.:thumb:

  • Replies 122
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One last comment about the call on the punt. I was sitting beside a coach from Boyd Co. and like others I seen the player clearly touch the ball with his hand, so I like others thought it was down and turned away for a second only to see clark pick up the ball and run with it.

 

He told me though that unless the official blew his whistle that the play was still live because the ball was still moving and that in order to down the ball the punt team either has to pick up and possess the ball and hand it the official or completely bring the ball to rest which is then when the referee is to blow the play dead. Seems like to me the head official "white hat" guy overturned that officials decision on his own.

 

But this is all coming from the coach that was sitting beside me. I was unaware that you could even attempt to do what Clark did.

 

Maybe we have some football officials out here on BGP that can help out on this one

I want to first get on there and say congrats to the Russell Red Devils. They came up big when they needed to. When Corbin came out of the gate and moved the ball down the field like it was nobodies business and actually making the Russell D look vulnerable, the Devils bucked up and made some nice stands when it mattered the most. They took it personally and proved they were solid and had a great team. I also want to commend the Russell DB's because they made it hard for Corbin to get open.

 

As for the game, yea there will always be calls that can lead us to the what if's. I won't get going on that because quite frankly, it shouldn't matter and that goes on any game. Unless calls are absolutely blatent, players are what decide outcomes not refs. The only blatent call was reversed shortly thereafter so it was up to Corbin to step up for any other questionable ones.

 

I came out and saw two teams who were pretty evenly matched do good battle for nearly 3 hours. I think Corbin had every opportunity to win the game and frankly, I think they should have won the game. However while Corbin may have been more athletic and better along the line of scrimmage, Russell was more resilient which was attributed to experience. I came away very impressed with The Red Devils.

 

Kasey Clark is a fine ball player. While he didn't quite live up to the running back expectations due to the Corbin D, he proved he was a great player by realizing he is able to hurt you in other ways. He did that by catching the ball. The quarterback is a great player and will be the man up in Flatwoods next season. Good luck next week Devils and hope to see you all make the trip down to Corbin next November because I'd bet dollars to dimes that Corbin will be there. 90% of this team will be back.

The only thing I would really disagree with is that Corbin was more athletic or better along the line of scrimmage. Corbin had greater numbers along the line of scrimmage due to putting 8, 9 and even 10 in the box and blitzing.

If I am not mistaken, Corbin's district will play Belfry's in the regional finals next year. If both teams make it that far, that should be fun. For two historic teams these two programs have rarely played each other.

 

Of course, they did have some pretty tough scrimmages back in the day. Coach Adams and Coach Roddy led them into some heated battles at camp a few times.

Clark is an excitable kid. He plays with alot of emotion and sometimes they get the best of him. Maybe he is a little cocky but this is how I judge him. All of the younger kids idolize him and I have never seen him be anything but gracious with them. He plays around with them while officiating JFL games, always smiling and the little kids really love it.

 

Is he a saint? No. But how many of us were at that age or are now. He plays with alot of heart and sometimes those emotions lead to poor decisions. He may not be a saint but there is no need to demonize him either.

 

Not trying to demonize the kid at all. I saw him last year and really enjoyed watching him play very competetive but also very humble on the field. I was hoping to see that again but got a different impression. More of a Cocky impression is what i got this time. Hopefully you will make it back to louisville and i can watch him again.

You look better in maroon and gold.

 

Not good, but better.

 

 

:lol:

The only thing I would really disagree with is that Corbin was more athletic or better along the line of scrimmage. Corbin had greater numbers along the line of scrimmage due to putting 8, 9 and even 10 in the box and blitzing.

 

 

Did we watch a different game hahaha ? Corbin's OL dominated that game the whole game. Russell's DL was huge, #74 I believe, was a monster...but a non-factor. Very few times did Corbin go Max Protection, but there was little preassure on Cashen all night. This was by far the best game I saw Corbin's front five play all season, and guess what...4 of the 5 are back next season. I thought the OL would have a hard time with the DL, but that wasn't the case.

 

 

I don't normally recognize the play of individuals, but two players have to be mentioned from Russell after the performances they had. The LB #56 was a gutsy player...he had to have made at least 20 tackles, without him Russell may have been packing it up. To me he was probably the best player on the field...he played his guts out, and went right on back to the huddle after numerous big hits...class act. Offensively he was also a major factor in the game, anytime they had a guard out there leading a play it was him. He is a warrior, and I hope he gets the credit he deserves up in Flatwoods. Concerning the RB I don't critique kids that age because he is still a parent's child etc. I do think he could be more level headed, but that is all I will say negative about him. He certainly sold out defensively, and made a few big plays when it counted on offense. The qb really led the team to the W...he was the motor for the offense, and once again without him Russell may be sitting at home.

 

Championship teams rarely have an easy road, and they always seem to find a way to win in bleak circumstances. I do not think Russell is the most talented team, the biggest team, the most disciplined team, or even the best coached team in the state...BUT what they do have is that most important ingredient...perserverance!!! They took it on the chin many times like a heavy-weight fighter, but they kept on swinging, and finally landed that knock-out punch to seal that victory. The Russell fans certainly have a group of seniors to be proud of. They certainly have the ability to repeat due to having good talent, size, and discipline. But the way they keep on fighting is what can carry them on toward that third state championship. Good luck to the Red Devils they have earned the right to play another day.:devil:

 

Now time for my negative...I was really disappointed with some, notice I say SOME, of the Russell fans, and their children. Some of the things that were done before, during, and after the game were inexcusable and showed a great lack of sportsmanship. I especially thought the playing of that song post game was shall we say less than sportsmanlike; you have a group of kids that just played their hearts out in a very clean game only to have their noses rubbed in their short-comings. Not to mention that many played their last football game ever that night as well. I really had to take a couple of days to cool off before this post because of that. Officiating was less than stellar. Do I think they made a difference in the game? Yes. Do I think Corbin should have overcame that and won anyway? Yes. Sour grapes? NO. In all of my experience with football have I seen such obvious intervention in a game or lack there of by officials. Never in my life have I mentioned officials as a factor in a game (and I think anyone from Corbin or Tri-County area that knows me will back up my credibility on this statement), but in this one they were a factor. I am not sure they changed the outcome, but I certainly believe they missed many calls, spots, etc. at critical times that hurt the Hounds. Concerning the punt call/no call. After first touching the ball is dead, now the side judge was wrong not to blow the whistle after first touching by the defense. But what makes it worse is when it did stop and #24 moved away from it one of the gunners for Corbin did touch the ball for a second time when its momentum had stopped which is also a down ball. The ball should have been down and spotted at the spot of first contact by the Punt team. Upon the spot of first touching the receiving team has the option to take a free kick or begin a series of scrimmage from the spot. :confused:

 

Positives are the coaches and players seemed, for the most part, to be a class act and Flatwoods is a good atmosphere for football. It was a great game and it was pretty clean...few cheap-shots, trash talk, etc. and that is great to see in today's game when there are so few players to look up to that do not engage in such activity. The stadium is really nice up there, but the field condition left something to be desired...I will give Russell the benefit of the doubt due to the rain though...hahaha:thumb:

 

As far as play calling is concerned I don't think it was bad. The few plays Russell ran (no more than 10-15 different ones all night) were deadly effective, so why show anything else until you have to? I mean Corbin's D did not get a stop until the 4th quarter so why change what you are doing? We missed a lot of tackles, but played with as much effort as you could ask a group of kids to give, and that is what makes a champion...great effort.

 

Sure these boys are going to have many "what ifs" but most predicted them to get blown out in this game and they left it all out on the field with the chance to win a great game. They have nothing to be ashamed of, and a game like this one should be a catalyst to a great season next year. This should give our boys motivation to work hard in the off-season with their eyes set north to Louisville and fuel an unwavering determination to erase the question mark!!!:dancingpa

I am not at all disputing the officials call on the punt, I was 80+ yards away and really have no idea what happened, but I want to clarify a point. I have seen several posts about the defender "killing" the punt by touching it with his hand. A defender can not "kill" a punt by touching it. The ball is live until it is recovered or becomes still. If a defender touches a ball that is still in motion, it is first touching, see rule 6.2.5. The receiving team has the option to take the spot the play ends (when ball is still or if picked up, at the end of the run, or at the spot of the first touching.

 

Just wanted to clarify that the defense cannot kill it. What made the punt down was that the referee ruled the ball was motionless prior to being recovered by the receiving team.

 

 

A good job of communication by the officiating crew.

Congrats Devils. Good luck against Belfry.

If I am not mistaken, Corbin's district will play Belfry's in the regional finals next year. If both teams make it that far, that should be fun. For two historic teams these two programs have rarely played each other.

 

Of course, they did have some pretty tough scrimmages back in the day. Coach Adams and Coach Roddy led them into some heated battles at camp a few times.

 

Corbin will be 2A and Belfry 3A next year.

Did we watch a different game hahaha ? Corbin's OL dominated that game the whole game. Russell's DL was huge, #74 I believe, was a monster...but a non-factor. Very few times did Corbin go Max Protection, but there was little preassure on Cashen all night. This was by far the best game I saw Corbin's front five play all season, and guess what...4 of the 5 are back next season. I thought the OL would have a hard time with the DL, but that wasn't the case.

 

 

I don't normally recognize the play of individuals, but two players have to be mentioned from Russell after the performances they had. The LB #56 was a gutsy player...he had to have made at least 20 tackles, without him Russell may have been packing it up. To me he was probably the best player on the field...he played his guts out, and went right on back to the huddle after numerous big hits...class act. Offensively he was also a major factor in the game, anytime they had a guard out there leading a play it was him. He is a warrior, and I hope he gets the credit he deserves up in Flatwoods. Concerning the RB I don't critique kids that age because he is still a parent's child etc. I do think he could be more level headed, but that is all I will say negative about him. He certainly sold out defensively, and made a few big plays when it counted on offense. The qb really led the team to the W...he was the motor for the offense, and once again without him Russell may be sitting at home.

 

Championship teams rarely have an easy road, and they always seem to find a way to win in bleak circumstances. I do not think Russell is the most talented team, the biggest team, the most disciplined team, or even the best coached team in the state...BUT what they do have is that most important ingredient...perserverance!!! They took it on the chin many times like a heavy-weight fighter, but they kept on swinging, and finally landed that knock-out punch to seal that victory. The Russell fans certainly have a group of seniors to be proud of. They certainly have the ability to repeat due to having good talent, size, and discipline. But the way they keep on fighting is what can carry them on toward that third state championship. Good luck to the Red Devils they have earned the right to play another day.:devil:

 

Now time for my negative...I was really disappointed with some, notice I say SOME, of the Russell fans, and their children. Some of the things that were done before, during, and after the game were inexcusable and showed a great lack of sportsmanship. I especially thought the playing of that song post game was shall we say less than sportsmanlike; you have a group of kids that just played their hearts out in a very clean game only to have their noses rubbed in their short-comings. Not to mention that many played their last football game ever that night as well. I really had to take a couple of days to cool off before this post because of that. Officiating was less than stellar. Do I think they made a difference in the game? Yes. Do I think Corbin should have overcame that and won anyway? Yes. Sour grapes? NO. In all of my experience with football have I seen such obvious intervention in a game or lack there of by officials. Never in my life have I mentioned officials as a factor in a game (and I think anyone from Corbin or Tri-County area that knows me will back up my credibility on this statement), but in this one they were a factor. I am not sure they changed the outcome, but I certainly believe they missed many calls, spots, etc. at critical times that hurt the Hounds. Concerning the punt call/no call. After first touching the ball is dead, now the side judge was wrong not to blow the whistle after first touching by the defense. But what makes it worse is when it did stop and #24 moved away from it one of the gunners for Corbin did touch the ball for a second time when its momentum had stopped which is also a down ball. The ball should have been down and spotted at the spot of first contact by the Punt team. Upon the spot of first touching the receiving team has the option to take a free kick or begin a series of scrimmage from the spot. :confused:

 

Positives are the coaches and players seemed, for the most part, to be a class act and Flatwoods is a good atmosphere for football. It was a great game and it was pretty clean...few cheap-shots, trash talk, etc. and that is great to see in today's game when there are so few players to look up to that do not engage in such activity. The stadium is really nice up there, but the field condition left something to be desired...I will give Russell the benefit of the doubt due to the rain though...hahaha:thumb:

 

As far as play calling is concerned I don't think it was bad. The few plays Russell ran (no more than 10-15 different ones all night) were deadly effective, so why show anything else until you have to? I mean Corbin's D did not get a stop until the 4th quarter so why change what you are doing? We missed a lot of tackles, but played with as much effort as you could ask a group of kids to give, and that is what makes a champion...great effort.

 

Sure these boys are going to have many "what ifs" but most predicted them to get blown out in this game and they left it all out on the field with the chance to win a great game. They have nothing to be ashamed of, and a game like this one should be a catalyst to a great season next year. This should give our boys motivation to work hard in the off-season with their eyes set north to Louisville and fuel an unwavering determination to erase the question mark!!!:dancingpa

No, we watched the same game. One reason there was very little pressure was that Russell only rushed three most of the night. Corbin shows you alot of different looks on offense. Russell chose to drop into coverage and adjust from there. When Russell did blitz they did get pressure but tracking down Cashen was no easy task. He was very impressive.

 

#74 was Harvey a 6'6" 330 pound Sophmore. He is not as effective having to rush the passer against the spread but against a power running team he sure can plug a hole. That is one adjustment that was made in the 4th qrt. Russell did send in some smaller, quicker DLinemen to get to the QB

 

#56 is Josh Wills. He plays like that every game. I put a post on the prediction thread before the game about how he plays. Any football fan regardless of what team you root for would have to appreciate the way this kid plays the game. He is the heart of the defense and his blocking on offense is highly underated. The kid has a motor that won't quit.

 

The play calling for Russell was conservative. 10-15 plays might be a bit of and overstatement. There were some things in the offense that were not used. Maybe they just not showing the full hand. It was a to concervative for me against a team as talented and determined as Corbin was.

 

The song you are reffering to after the game has been played after every home win for the last three years at least. There was no disrespect meant by it. I've always liked it myself. Any other acts that were usportsmanlike I am un aware of. If there was anything said or done that was out of line the authorities should have been notified so they could take care of it.

 

And for what its worth I came away impressed with this Corbin team. They didn't hold Rockcastle Co to 2 points and Bell Co to 17 by playing by a fluke. Corbins run defense is for real.

Corbin will be 2A and Belfry 3A next year.

My bad, 4chs, you are right.

 

I know Belfry's district plays district 5 next year in the 3rd round. And that district includes Taylor, Wayne, Garrard, who are in Corbin's district now. I thought Corbin was moving up and staying in that district also, but was wrong.

 

Looks like the winner of Corbins district next year will actually have to travel north, to the district 6 winner, either Lloyd, NCC, Newport or Cov Holy Cross.

Corbin and Belfry still get to dance in week 1 in the Pike County Bowl. What's Belfry got coming back? Corbin returns nearly everyone.

Belfry loses several contributors. G Epling, RB DB, Corey Chapman, RB DB, Devin Kohari WR DB, Chad Steele TE DE, and a couple of linemen on both sides. But this is one of the youngest editions the Pirates have fielded in recent memory. A lot of sophs and juniors are starting and the future looks bright.

 

That PCB game is one that should be a lot of fun.

Corbin and Belfry still get to dance in week 1 in the Pike County Bowl. What's Belfry got coming back? Corbin returns nearly everyone.

That should be a great game.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.