Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stall Ball

Featured Replies

High school basketball is a competition between teams to see who wins it isn't designed for entertainment.

Years ago I was coaching youth basketball and the opposing coach had a big slow team and we were small and quick. Before the game he was saying I shouldn't fullcout press, I told him I wouldn't if he wouldn't offensive rebound.

Just let them play 5 on 5 any style, it's a competition not entertainment.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a coach I would run the motion offense and instructed team not to shoot unless you have a layup. Most times a foul is called and you get to the free throw line most times.

 

The quesiton is when would you do that. Would you do it with 4 minutes left and a 4 point lead?

  • Author
I agree. @Voice of Reason The issue with Conner last night is they were up between 4 points at the 4-minute mark and started to stall. They passed up some easy jumpers and one easy lay-up to run clock. Eventually someone traveled or the ball was thrown away. I think it is hard for high schoolers to stall the ball for 4 minutes even if there is no defense, someone will fumble a pass or their jump stop will result in a travel after so much time.

 

It it possible that Conner was not stalling and what they were doing simply looked like it or the players were not exactly following coach's instruction. At one point, I did hear Coach Otte yell "this is not what I just drew up!"

 

Wow. Passed up a layup? I am sure the coach was not happy about that.

 

If I am an underdog team and my opponent starts stalling with 4+ minutes to go, I would be happy. I would let them drain a couple minutes off the clock. Reducing the number of plays left in the game gives me a better chance to win than I would have expected before the game. I definitely am not going to play pressure defense in that situation and give up easy baskets. A good ball handling team will get easy baskets. It is a big advantage to a good ball handling team if their opponent comes out and tries to aggressively pressure them.

With no shot clock it’s part of the game, hate it or love it it’s not going anywhere unless a shot clock is implemented.

Like everything else with basketball, it depends on the situation. I saw a team a few years ago with three good guards, take the ball to start the 4th with a 2 point lead and ran a four-corners offense for the rest of the game. If you think about, that is about the time when Dean Smith would go into his four-corner offense--around 8 minutes.

 

In the situation I mentioned, it was game over. The defense pressured and the guards handled it until they were fouled or got a lay-up. Hard to argue with that strategy.

 

If you're not as skilled at the guard spot, it can be very difficult for a team to run an offense for even a minute without turning it over. The two teams involved make a big difference.

 

I think with some teams, you get to the last 4 minutes with the lead and you just keep running offense but stress "no threes", "lay-ups only", and "be patient" until you get to the point where the other team starts to really extend and pressue and then you still stress those same things.

Put a 40 second shot clock in. Stall ball isn't basketball. Wasn't meant to be a game of keep away. Was meant to be a game of trying to score and trying to stop a team from scoring.

I hate stall ball

 

I don’t believe taking your foot off the gas unless it’s a 20+ point blowout.

 

I too support a shot clock.

 

Also every HS player I know supports a shot clock. When will we as spectators start allowing these young men actually playing the game have a voice?

Put a 40 second shot clock in. Stall ball isn't basketball. Wasn't meant to be a game of keep away. Was meant to be a game of trying to score and trying to stop a team from scoring.

 

It’s a game meant for one team to out score the other team. There are many ways to do that. I prefer uptempo but understand the beauty of grinding a game out. It’s not different in football with a team that runs the ball compared to passing all the time.

It’s a game meant for one team to out score the other team. There are many ways to do that. I prefer uptempo but understand the beauty of grinding a game out. It’s not different in football with a team that runs the ball compared to passing all the time.

 

Not true. In football there are 4 downs. If you don’t get 10

Yards in 4 downs the other team gets the ball. In basketball, if you get the lead you can play keep away for 8 minutes. It’s happened. 40 seconds is an eternity. You can still grind it out but it at least gives the other team a chance.

Not true. In football there are 4 downs. If you don’t get 10

Yards in 4 downs the other team gets the ball. In basketball, if you get the lead you can play keep away for 8 minutes. It’s happened. 40 seconds is an eternity. You can still grind it out but it at least gives the other team a chance.

 

The other team has a chance. They can play a defense to either force a turnover or a shot.

Put a 40 second shot clock in. Stall ball isn't basketball. Wasn't meant to be a game of keep away. Was meant to be a game of trying to score and trying to stop a team from scoring.

 

Teams used to hold the ball for whole quarters and play keep away. Historically there is no argument to stand on.

High school needs a shot Clock. Basketball was meant to score baskets,not play keep away. I would love to see 30 second shot Clock. I hate watching slow down basketball!!!

Teams used to hold the ball for whole quarters and play keep away. Historically there is no argument to stand on.

 

Yes, I agree. I also think it’s a ridiculous way to play a game. I don’t blame teams for doing it, but a massive majority of those in the game think it’s stupid. Every level of basketball, including aau now has a shot clock. It’s time for high school ball to implement one too. I’d contend it’s part of why the sweet 16 is suffering. The general basketball fan is used to seeing an exciting brand of basketball. They show up to the sweet 16 and they’re more likely to see a game in the 40’s or 50’s than in the 80’s.

 

Most of all, the kids want it

Put a 40 second shot clock in. Stall ball isn't basketball. Wasn't meant to be a game of keep away. Was meant to be a game of trying to score and trying to stop a team from scoring.

 

Amen. The shot clock will happen in KY, just a matter of when. Attendance dropping is not helped by stall ball, people come to a game to see action, it will make our great game even better and if they’re honest about it, I believe that’s the way the kids would rather play too!!

Kids also want to shoot all 3's and play no defense. Let's just play with a girls ball and make the rim bigger. If we're going to do it let's go all the way, a 24 second shot clock would be more entertaining. Sarcasm!

If you want to make games higher scoring, call hand checks and make it a non contact sport again.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.