Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stall Ball

Featured Replies

Amen. The shot clock will happen in KY, just a matter of when. Attendance dropping is not helped by stall ball, people come to a game to see action, it will make our great game even better and if they’re honest about it, I believe that’s the way the kids would rather play too!!

 

Never in my life have I ever heard a person say they would not go to a game because teams play stall ball.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never in my life have I ever heard a person say they would not go to a game because teams play stall ball.

 

 

People may not say it, but it absolutely happens. People show up to watch excitement, not paint dry. It's part of the issue with the sweet 16.

I have seen at least twice in this thread posters say high school players want a shot clock. I have coached High School level basketball for 14 years and I have never ever once heard any of my players in that timeframe say anything about a shot clock, nor other players from other teams.

 

Also if you went to a shot clock in high school, it just widens the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots. At least with the option of a grind-it-out, slow down game a team with lesser talent may be able to stick around and possibly beat a better team. Adding a shot-clock pretty much takes that away.

Really, I've always thought it was part of the game, why not do away with the fast break. I go to a bunch of HS games every season, really can't remember the last time I saw a true stall ball type game. The are very few HS teams that can hold the ball for any period of time anyway.

  • Author
I have seen at least twice in this thread posters say high school players want a shot clock. I have coached High School level basketball for 14 years and I have never ever once heard any of my players in that timeframe say anything about a shot clock, nor other players from other teams.

 

Also if you went to a shot clock in high school, it just widens the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots. At least with the option of a grind-it-out, slow down game a team with lesser talent may be able to stick around and possibly beat a better team. Adding a shot-clock pretty much takes that away.

 

It depends on what time is on the shot clock. Put in a 40 second shot clock and you can still slow down the pace if you want to.

I have seen at least twice in this thread posters say high school players want a shot clock. I have coached High School level basketball for 14 years and I have never ever once heard any of my players in that timeframe say anything about a shot clock, nor other players from other teams.

 

Also if you went to a shot clock in high school, it just widens the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots. At least with the option of a grind-it-out, slow down game a team with lesser talent may be able to stick around and possibly beat a better team. Adding a shot-clock pretty much takes that away.

 

That's not entirely true. The way you see most big upsets these days is by a team getting hot from 3 point range. Limiting possessions takes away the "law of large numbers" in some cases, but in others it can help the superior team.

 

Just like college basketball should use quarters like every other level of basketball, high school should go to a shot clock. Probably 40 seconds.

I don’t think you will ever see a shot clock in Kentucky HS ball. Two main reasons: 1) Way to much money for schools to pay to install them. 2) You have to get someone really qualified to run it appropriately during a game. Anyone that’s been to a lot of HS games know that there are tables that are lucky to run the clock effectively. A shot clock would be a disaster for them.

 

Just my thought....

I don’t think you will ever see a shot clock in Kentucky HS ball. Two main reasons: 1) Way to much money for schools to pay to install them. 2) You have to get someone really qualified to run it appropriately during a game. Anyone that’s been to a lot of HS games know that there are tables that are lucky to run the clock effectively. A shot clock would be a disaster for them.

 

Just my thought....

 

People said the same thing about play clocks in hs football

I don’t see play clocks in all FB stadiums. You can have the back judge keep the play clock. In basketball, they will have to have something that the players can see.

My question is this. Who actually benefits from not going to a shot clock format? The coaches who have made a career getting a 10+ point lead and then putting the brakes on the pace of play? Or the kids who we are supposed to be preparing for the next phase in life be it on the court or in the classroom?

I finally got around to doing my rules clinic, and commissioner Tackett said that the shot clock Discussion will continue. He’s going to send a survey to a lot of schools to get the opinions of the coaches.

My question is this. Who actually benefits from not going to a shot clock format? The coaches who have made a career getting a 10+ point lead and then putting the brakes on the pace of play? Or the kids who we are supposed to be preparing for the next phase in life be it on the court or in the classroom?

 

Who is actually hurt by not going to a shot clock? You're going to say the players, but does it really? Is PC's Allen hurt if some small school decides to hold the ball against them one game in the season so he can't score 50? Is any team holding the ball against another REALLY keeping the coaches from preparing the kids for the next phase of life?

 

Is this even a problem? I haven't seen a high number of 24-13 games this season. In fact, the only true stall ball game of the last decade in NKY on either side was the 13-8 regional game between ND and Highlands and that was the fault of the better team's head coach.

 

In a state where you are going to keep the one-class system, this gives a chance for a small school to pull of the upset. Go to classes and I'm all for the shot clock.

Who is actually hurt by not going to a shot clock? You're going to say the players, but does it really? Is PC's Allen hurt if some small school decides to hold the ball against them one game in the season so he can't score 50? Is any team holding the ball against another REALLY keeping the coaches from preparing the kids for the next phase of life?

 

Is this even a problem? I haven't seen a high number of 24-13 games this season. In fact, the only true stall ball game of the last decade in NKY on either side was the 13-8 regional game between ND and Highlands and that was the fault of the better team's head coach.

 

In a state where you are going to keep the one-class system, this gives a chance for a small school to pull of the upset. Go to classes and I'm all for the shot clock.

 

Yes, it is the kids. No, kids like Allen, Tandy, etc. will not be impacted by this rule change.

 

Why is good defense rewarded at all? Lets just throw the ball inbounds and let the kid stand in place. IMO its hypocritical to reward good defense on 1/2 the court of play. That is essentially what is happening now. We reward teams for pressing/preventing the opposing team from crossing midcourt in a timely manner but after that poof that thought process goes out the window. It's natural to be reluctant to change, however could you imagine the game without a 3 point shot? It was a change many was opposed to.

 

In a state with a one class system it gives the first team with a 10 point lead a huge advantage. The team down now has to gas out on D in order to get a chance to cut into the lead.

 

For a state supposedly so ingrained with basketball why are we not at the forefront of this?

Amen. The shot clock will happen in KY, just a matter of when. Attendance dropping is not helped by stall ball, people come to a game to see action, it will make our great game even better and if they’re honest about it, I believe that’s the way the kids would rather play too!!

 

People aren’t going to games like they used to because there are a lot more distractions available to people entertainment-wise that weren’t there 25 years ago. Stall ball has a negligible affect on that decline.

 

Never in my life have I ever heard a person say they would not go to a game because teams play stall ball.

 

Same here.

 

People may not say it, but it absolutely happens. People show up to watch excitement, not paint dry. It's part of the issue with the sweet 16.

 

True hoops fans appreciate seeing a good strategy executed in a high-pressure championship environment. That’s who goes to the Sweet 16.

 

Really, I've always thought it was part of the game, why not do away with the fast break. I go to a bunch of HS games every season, really can't remember the last time I saw a true stall ball type game. The are very few HS teams that can hold the ball for any period of time anyway.

 

This is what I keep coming back to. I’ve seen exactly one game in the past decade, and two in the past 20 that would legitimately be a stall ball game where a team ran 4 corners all game. I watch more HS hoops than the average person.

 

Where do all these stall ball games happen? Nowhere near me. Sure, you might see a team hold for the last shot the final minute of a game or half, but that’s about it.

 

I don’t think you will ever see a shot clock in Kentucky HS ball. Two main reasons: 1) Way to much money for schools to pay to install them. 2) You have to get someone really qualified to run it appropriately during a game. Anyone that’s been to a lot of HS games know that there are tables that are lucky to run the clock effectively. A shot clock would be a disaster for them.

 

Just my thought....

 

Both 1) and 2) are things I highly agree with.

 

I’ll add 3) HS hoops teams already throw out some abysmal FG shooting numbers. Add a shot clock and there will be a lot of 18-for-65 overall and 3-for-30 on three nights.

Basketball is a sport between two teams generally 5 on 5 to see who can score the most points in a set amount of time.

This sport wasn't invented for television or to make money, it is a competition. If you want it to be for viewing entertainment and making money let's let guys carry the ball when they dribble and slide their pivot foot. Wait, we already do that!

If you want to help the game and schools, go back to two officials. I would rather have two decent officials than one good one and two bad ones. One bad official can ruin games even if he's working with two good ones. It would save schools money by not having to pay the third official and it takes less officials.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.