Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the New Playoff Format Now Better?

Featured Replies

The new system is much more fair to all teams in the state. If Louisville's big privates want to play opposite of Male then they are free to pull up stakes and move their campuses to some more easterly locale.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it is different strokes for different folks.

 

For some it has eliminated a lot of travel time the first couple weeks. Pairing the districts up as they have has not really been that big of an adjustment, imo.

I (along with a great many other people on this site) was critical of the new playoff format as of Friday morning.

 

Given the results of Friday night's games, is anyone ready to admit that the new format, creating rematches of regular-season district games, was a good idea?

 

A great many games came out in ways I never expected: a huge second-half comeback by Lex Cath and Bethlehem over Bardstown, just to name two. In the interest of giving credence to a pre-Friday thread, the second-round matchups made the new format worthwhile.

Of course, some of the matchups we saw this week could have easily taken place next week under the old format.

 

And how do this weekend's games necessarily validate this format? Whenever and wherever there are high school playoff games, the potential is there for great and memorable games. That could have easily been true for games that would have been played this week under the old system.

Calling westsider... :lol:
Obviously, I'm not alone in my thinking.
Obviously, I'm not alone in my thinking.

I can see why. Lots of awful football this weekend... :rolleyes:

I agree with you. I prefer the old system where you saw new teams. Some of the games were very good last night but I can guarantee you that in the old system the games in the 2nd round would have been pretty darn good as well. I personally just don't think that in football you should play the same team twice unless they earn their way back to playing again.
I could not agree with you more. I hate the new system playing the same teams over is plain awful. Winning the regular season means nothing. Why play a District regular season?
I got a solution. Since Lousiville wears Red and the rest of the state bleeds blue anyway lets just see if Indiana will annex them and it would solve the problem.:thumb:

 

While we're offering solutions and suggestions, make sure you tell your home county to write a big check reimbursing Jefferson County for all the tax dollars they share with your county and the rest of the state. :thumb:

While we're offering solutions and suggestions, make sure you tell your home county to write a big check reimbursing Jefferson County for all the tax dollars they share with your county and the rest of the state. :thumb:

Done..................as soon as Jefferson County reimburses all the coal severance tax dollars back to the mountains. :thumb:

Done..................as soon as Jefferson County reimburses all the coal severance tax dollars back to the mountains. :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb:

I'm glad next season is not this way.

I (along with a great many other people on this site) was critical of the new playoff format as of Friday morning.

 

Given the results of Friday night's games, is anyone ready to admit that the new format, creating rematches of regular-season district games, was a good idea?

 

A great many games came out in ways I never expected: a huge second-half comeback by Lex Cath and Bethlehem over Bardstown, just to name two. In the interest of giving credence to a pre-Friday thread, the second-round matchups made the new format worthwhile.

 

 

If Johnson Central beats Rockcastle next week then I might agree. If not....then in District 7/8 region....the best two teams will have eliminated one of them prior to the regional championship, unlike the past where truly the best two teams in the Region meet for the title.

I perfer the old playoff system. It's hard enough for some teams to beat their rivals during regular season but to play them practically back to back in some cases is rediculious.

Just spewing some numbers out after the first two rounds....

 

The average margin of victory in the 1A first round games this year was 24.0 -- the lowest since 1992 (22.8). Since then, eight times in 15 years, the average margin of victory was over 30 points. In 2005, the margin was 32.8.

 

In the second round games, the average win margin for the eight games was 17.8 -- the lowest since 2004 (17.5). Last year, the margin was 24.1.

 

In Class 3A, the average margin of win in the first round was 25.0 -- the lowest since 2000 (23.3). Last year, it was 28.0.

 

In the second round games, the average was 15.0 -- the lowest of all classes and lowest in 3A since 1998 (13.3). Last year, it was 25.3.

 

In Class 4A, the average margin of first round games was 18.6, which was the lowest since 1996 (16.5). It's also the only time since 1996 where the margin was under 20 points. Last year, it was 22.0.

 

In the second round, the margin was 20.8, which was actually higher than last year (18.5).

 

Class 2A is the toughest to figure out. The margin this year was 27.5, which is what is was last year. It was 29.6 in 2004.

 

In the second round games, the margin was 22.0, which was also higher than last year's 16.2 average margin.

 

________

 

This year, there are three #3 seeds in the region finals. The last time there were that many was 1996 (6).

 

NCC is the first #3 seed in a region final in Class A since 2000 (NCC).

 

Trigg County is the first #3 seed in a region final in Class 2A since 1998 (Hancock Co.)

 

Class 3A hasn't had a #3 seed advance to a region final since CovCath in 2001.

I'm glad next season is not this way.

I thought it was???

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.