December 5, 20187 yr Floyd Central has suspended head coach Kevin Spurlock 3 games as a result of an investigation by Floyd Central's superintendent.
December 5, 20187 yr The suspension is apparently the result of verbal abuse of players considered "conduct unbecoming of a coach".
December 5, 20187 yr Is it true that several of their players quit? I watched them play last week against Perry Central. It didnt seem like they had a lot of players on the varsity level that day. I couldnt imagine what they look like now. I heard their best player IMO when I seen them, Brady Conn quit the team too.
December 5, 20187 yr The suspension is apparently the result of verbal abuse of players considered "conduct unbecoming of a coach". A whole bunch of coaches could be guilty of this charge in my opinion.
December 6, 20187 yr A whole bunch of coaches could be guilty of this charge in my opinion. If so, that still doesn't make it right. I am not surprised at all.
December 6, 20187 yr If so, that still doesn't make it right. I am not surprised at all. Where did I state it was right?
December 6, 20187 yr Where did I state it was right? You didn't, but by posting and saying others do it, made me think he shouldn't be punished. Usually, people try to make the excuse that because others do it, it might be unfair for one to be punished. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but then why bring it up.? Just the way I took it.
December 6, 20187 yr One of the players has spoken out on twitter and said this: “Actually, it was not only regarding the language. He has called us fat, overweight, mocked us, and so much more. He once kicked a basketball and it almost hit my brother. I have quit on him 3 times and I came back only because I love the game of basketball and my friends.”
December 6, 20187 yr One of the players has spoken out on twitter and said this: “Actually, it was not only regarding the language. He has called us fat, overweight, mocked us, and so much more. He once kicked a basketball and it almost hit my brother. I have quit on him 3 times and I came back only because I love the game of basketball and my friends.” I have worked with Kevin Spurlock. I've been to a year's worth of his basketball practices and games, though it was several years ago. I feel that I'd be remiss if I didn't say that he was a good guy. All too often people that don't know the truth mis-represent it. As the saying goes, there are two sides to every story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. He is old school when it comes to basketball. I doubt that he kicked a basketball at a kid. Did he kick the ball? Probably. But, he's not the only coach to do that. No doubt he is tough. My guess is that he didn't actually call anyone fat. More likely, he said something to the effect of, "we're going to run some of that weight off you." Not all kids will respond positively to that. As far as profanity, I don't remember him using any. Again, I sat through a year's worth of practices and games with him as head coach.
December 7, 20187 yr It sounds like this all came to a head following the Floyd Central scrimmage with Ashland back in late November. The coach was reportedly witnessed by several players and spectators as cursing about the officials at the scrimmage. An Ashland fan yelled at Coach Spurlock to sit down, and that began an exchange between the coach and the fan in which the coach issued a verbal threat to the fan. 8 of the 9 varsity team members, including 1000 point scorer Brady Conn, have since quit the team because they were dis-satisfied with the way the Board Of Education has handled the situation with Coach Spurlock. ‘He demeans us.’ Why 8 players left HS basketball team after investigation into coach.
December 7, 20187 yr I can’t recall him cursing. He is a tough coach to play for, but his teams play hard and the right way. With that said, basketball kids have changed a lot. You simply can’t do things you did even 5 years ago.
December 7, 20187 yr Poor kids feelings are hurt. I'm not saying that high school coaches shouldn't be able or willing to say tough things when they 1) are true, and 2) need to be said.....but you don't think some of the things alleged to have been said in the article up in post 11 are over the line for an adult coach to be saying t0 15, 16, and 17 year old kids?
December 7, 20187 yr I'm not saying that high school coaches shouldn't be able or willing to say tough things when they 1) are true, and 2) need to be said.....but you don't think some of the things alleged to have been said in the article up in post 11 are over the line for an adult coach to be saying t0 15, 16, and 17 year old kids? It sounds like the players took back a lot of there accusations and this notion of a coach bullying players to play better was a funny quote. It's called motivation and pointing out your flaws. It sounds like these kids can't handle criticism which tells me they were sheltered at home. I know some will disagree with me but in my experience what helped me the most growing up were people willing to challenge me even if it wasn't comfortable. I didn't like some of it in the moment but I was lucky enough to have parents who knew I needed it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.