Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Floyd Central suspends head coach Kevin Spurlock

Featured Replies

No issues with a coach using colorful language. No issues with him criticizing his players games or effort. I draw the line if he was making personal jabs or making fun of kids weights, etc.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It sounds like these kids can't handle criticism which tells me they were sheltered at home. I know some will disagree with me but in my experience what helped me the most growing up were people willing to challenge me even if it wasn't comfortable.

 

That's a whole lot of "me" in one paragraph. While I understand, and don't necessarily disagree with, all that you are saying, what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

That's a whole lot of "me" in one paragraph. While I understand, and don't necessarily disagree with, all that you are saying, what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

 

As long as it isn't physical, homophobic or racist. I think it builds character.

As long as it isn't physical, homophobic or racist. I think it builds character.

 

So, you'd have no issue with a coach calling your son a fat worthless loser?

So, you'd have no issue with a coach calling your son a fat worthless loser?

 

Is my kid fat and lazy ? Truth hurts but needs to be said.

Is my kid fat and lazy ? Truth hurts but needs to be said.

 

Where'd you get lazy? I said worthless loser.

 

Let's say your son is trying to break the press and airmails a pass out of bounds. The coach yanks him out of the game, and calls him a "fat, worthless loser" and "no wonder you don't have any friends. You suck".

 

Still cool with that? Still just the truth?

Where'd you get lazy? I said worthless loser.

 

Let's say your son is trying to break the press and airmails a pass out of bounds. The coach yanks him out of the game, and calls him a "fat, worthless loser" and "no wonder you don't have any friends. You suck".

 

Still cool with that? Still just the truth?

 

I'd have to see each situation and what words were used. If my kid were being lazy and pouting I probably wouldn't like worthless but I would understand the coaches intentions and wouldn't be upset.

It sounds like this all came to a head following the Floyd Central scrimmage with Ashland back in late November. The coach was reportedly witnessed by several players and spectators as cursing about the officials at the scrimmage. An Ashland fan yelled at Coach Spurlock to sit down, and that began an exchange between the coach and the fan in which the coach issued a verbal threat to the fan.

 

8 of the 9 varsity team members, including 1000 point scorer Brady Conn, have since quit the team because they were dis-satisfied with the way the Board Of Education has handled the situation with Coach Spurlock.

 

‘He demeans us.’ Why 8 players left HS basketball team after investigation into coach.

All of that sounds bad. I hope that it's not true. That's not the Kevin Spurlock I worked with.

Has Spurlock responded to the allegations yet and does he still have his coaching job or is he still just suspended for 3 games? I’m interested in hearing his side of the story. I don’t know Kevin Spurlock or anyone involved in this story. I do know that things have changed quickly in this day and age and as was mentioned a coach definitely can’t say or do things that they did 5 years ago.

 

Again, I admittedly haven’t read a single word about this story.

 

Have any assistants or anyone besides the players on the team confirmed the player’s allegations?

Okay. Just read the story. Seems like he said, she said.

 

Some of it I believe, some of it I don’t believe.

 

Interesting situation.

I'm not saying that high school coaches shouldn't be able or willing to say tough things when they 1) are true, and 2) need to be said.....but you don't think some of the things alleged to have been said in the article up in post 11 are over the line for an adult coach to be saying t0 15, 16, and 17 year old kids?

 

Do we have proof yet that the things alleged are true?

Now I am hearing that statements from the players were retracted during individual interviews with the board and that two of their best players wanted back on the team but their parents wouldn’t let them.

 

 

Sounding more and more like a parent led coup to get rid of Spurlock that failed.

After reading through this the first word that comes to my mind: soft.

 

Whether it be the players or the parents, there's a whole lot of soft in there.

After reading through this the first word that comes to my mind: soft.

 

Whether it be the players or the parents, there's a whole lot of soft in there.

 

Not a surprise in today’s society. Soft, weak, take your pick.

Now I am hearing that statements from the players were retracted during individual interviews with the board and that two of their best players wanted back on the team but their parents wouldn’t let them.

 

 

Sounding more and more like a parent led coup to get rid of Spurlock that failed.

 

This type of thing would never happen in eastern Kentucky!!! (I don’t know if you could tell. But I laughed hysterically while typing that sentence.)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.