Trimble County cancels 2018 football season due to low numbers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KHSAA needs to look at forming 8 or 7 man football for these smaller schools.

That sounds great, and I certainly wouldn’t be against 8 man football for smaller schools. But would it really make a difference? I’m not sure that would be enough to get non football playing schools to play football. You still need a roster of around 20 guys. And with this likely being made up of rural schools, travel (both cost and distance) could be a big roadblock.

i) CESSATION OF SCHOOL PROGRAM- The period of ineligibility may be waived in the event of a school remaining open but notifying the Association in writing that it is discontinuing its varsity participation in an Association sponsored sport (regular and postseason) in which the student had previously participated after enrolling in grade nine (9).

Trimble County borders Madison, IN. There are two Madison schools that are actively recruiting for Trimble Co students to attend their schools. One is Pope John Paul Elementary and the other is Southwestern Jr/Sr high school. They know that parents are trying to find alternatives. I’m told that Southwestern will even provide bus service to the Milton-Madison bridge.

IF that is the case, make a coaching change immediately.

Something has to be different, with a promise of a positive experience in order for those on the bubble to make the committment.

Perhaps someone who has connections to players who are no longer on the team, such as a former Junior High coach.

Worked for us, but in Trimble County's situation it appears that time has run out.