Trimble County cancels 2018 football season due to low numbers

I think actually there's only four teams that haven't replaced Trimble. Eminence, Switzerland County, and Owen County have found replacement games but they're still on the Trimble schedule.

I would assume that if they stay in district play that their district opponents will have to play them. That is assuming that they get enough to field a team, which is a big IF.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they will be in 1A under the realignment next year.

Trimble County was the second largest school in Class 1A in the original data. They chose to play up to 2A instead.

Original enrollment data: https://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2019-2022/football%20alignment%202019%20enrollments%20original.pdf

Final alignment for 2019-22: Final Approved Alignment – Football – 2

I would assume that if they stay in district play that their district opponents will have to play them. That is assuming that they get enough to field a team, which is a big IF.

Just thinking out loud here: if they are able to field a team, would they be better suited to drop from district play this season and instead play a modified Varsity/JV schedule? Play varsity against the four teams still on the schedule and play JV against everyone else?

Just thinking out loud here: if they are able to field a team, would they be better suited to drop from district play this season and instead play a modified Varsity/JV schedule? Play varsity against the four teams still on the schedule and play JV against everyone else?
Possibly. I don’t know what their core athletes that stayed with the program are like.

Trimble County was the second largest school in Class 1A in the original data. They chose to play up to 2A instead.

Original enrollment data: https://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2019-2022/football%20alignment%202019%20enrollments%20original.pdf

Final alignment for 2019-22: Final Approved Alignment – Football – 219 through 222 Playing Seasons | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

Thanks for the info.

Bracken County says to Trimble County, thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Now that spring football is just around the corner has there been any word on this program? Are they trying to revive for 2019? Is there middle school football?

I was wondering the same not too long ago. I know the high school was not included in the KHSAA's latest football realignment. I haven't heard anything about their middle school football program in a couple of years at least. Mike Isely, who was the HS football coach for the Raiders, took over the AD position at Trimble County this past summer, but he took over as AD prior to the cancellation of the 2018 football season...so who knows.

The end of the Trimble County football program was mentioned specifically in this article in The Atlantic just a few weeks ago: Rural Communities Struggle to Adapt to Life Without Football.