Why Does Crying Make Someone Weak?

UKMustangFan

The thread about the cry closet brought this about and figured I'd start a different thread for it.

It seems from the responses in that thread that many see crying as a sign of weakness, or as a bad thing, that should only be reserved for periods of grief.

Why do people view crying (or in general the showing of emotion) as a weakness?

Why does it have such a negative connotation?

Why do people think crying makes someone soft?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people view crying (or in general the showing of emotion) as a weakness?

Why does it have such a negative connotation?

Why do people think crying makes someone soft?

Because they are insecure.

There is a time and place for everything, of course, but (from my comments in the other thread) harboring all your feelings or calling others soft who aren't afraid to show emotions soft doesn't make you tough, it makes you ignorant.

You are asking a question as to why humans are programmed how we are. The answer, we just are. Now I guess you are asking from a societal perspective why it is viewed that people (especially men) who cry are deemed weak. And it gets back to the first point. We are programmed to think that way. "Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball."

People are not emotionally equal, so how we handle and process problems varies.

While probably not appropriate to make fun of one who cries, we all know that people who can't control their emotions is a flaw. If I walk by my coworkers office and he/she is crying every time because they are stressed, I would think something of it.

What are some things that make you cry? Or "good reasons" to cry?

When my sister died. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer. When my mom died. When I watched my dad be reduced to a shell of himself from Alzheimer's. When my dad died. When Birdsfan was found to be brain dead. When Birdsfan died. Those are the ones that I can recall most.

You?

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you’re going to have something special."

Jimmy V...

What are some things that make you cry? Or "good reasons" to cry?

Oddly enough, I've never cried over the death of a loved one.

I have cried when my dog died a little over a year ago.

I've cried watching movies before.

I've cried reading/watching heart-warming stories about kids dealing with illnesses, etc.

I (almost) cried at the birth of my son.

As far as what's a good reason to cry? Whatever moves someone to tears is good enough for me.

Because they are insecure.

There is a time and place for everything, of course, but (from my comments in the other thread) harboring all your feelings or calling others soft who aren't afraid to show emotions soft doesn't make you tough, it makes you ignorant.

Preach brother.

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you’re going to have something special."

Jimmy V...

Everytime I hear this or see it written, instant cold chills.

When my sister died. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer. When my mom died. When I watched my dad be reduced to a shell of himself from Alzheimer's. When my dad died. When Birdsfan was found to be brain dead. When Birdsfan died. Those are the ones that I can recall most.

You?

So for you, death or something close to it is the only reason to cry. I think we can all agree those would be "good" times to cry.

As I've gotten older, I've found lots of things can make me emotional at any given time to where I might get a little misty. Do I bawl my eyes out? No, but I can get emotional pretty often if in the right scenario.

I went to my dad's grave today...that almost always gets me.

I was a pall bearer for my great uncle yesterday. Maybe had met him five times ever, so I really didn't have a connection to him. But seeing my family emotional made me the same way.