Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Does Crying Make Someone Weak?

Featured Replies

In your opinion, are there other ways of being too emotional, besides crying too much?

Great point, TBandG! Perfect!

 

I get misty/cry very easily—and for a variety of reasons, mostly because I get emotional about my kids, friends and other loved ones. Heck—I get misty eyed when a student finally “gets it”, or is able to perform a task they have struggled with.

However, I will say that I see plenty of people that constantly yell, are mean, and make sure that they let everyone around them know when they are displeased and unhappy with every day stuff. Unfortunately, the loud, angry, disrespectful person is always revered.

  • Replies 81
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing. Crying is usually a reaction to something you are really invested in. Whether it's tears of joy or tears of sadness, if it means a lot to you, crying over losing it, failing it or whatever, is a natural reaction. And different people get invested in different things.

The bolded. I’m completely invested in my kids. I have one child who struggles daily with pretty much everything. So I typically shed tears privately about that, daily. For some people, crying is coping. I can think of many worse ways to cope.

For me, crying comes easier with age. When I was young, I never cried. Now I cry easily over things as simple as memories or even a commercial on TV.

I reccomend that you do not cry at work. Career suicide.

Funerals get me. Pride in my kids at times will get me too.

Great point, TBandG! Perfect!

 

I get misty/cry very easily—and for a variety of reasons, mostly because I get emotional about my kids, friends and other loved ones. Heck—I get misty eyed when a student finally “gets it”, or is able to perform a task they have struggled with.

However, I will say that I see plenty of people that constantly yell, are mean, and make sure that they let everyone around them know when they are displeased and unhappy with every day stuff. Unfortunately, the loud, angry, disrespectful person is always revered.

I think people look at thoes types as nuts or obnoxious.

I think people look at thoes types as nuts or obnoxious.

Why are they not weak, while criers are? Both are coping mechanisms.

Why are they not weak, while criers are? Both are coping mechanisms.

 

Okay, mentally weak works too for them.

 

Also, another way to view both these types (frequent criers and overly angry people) might be "unstable" as well.

For me, crying comes easier with age. When I was young, I never cried. Now I cry easily over things as simple as memories or even a commercial on TV.

 

Yes totally agree!! Why is this? Maybe because you finally start to realize how precious life and it’s many moments are.

 

Like when someone says something kind or performs an act of kindness, when you watch a kid try their absolute hardest at something, during a monumental moment (i.e. when you hear someone is engaged, or pregnant, or when Lamar Jackson’s name was finally called for the draft, lol), etc. I just choked up reading Hoops5 post above.

Yes totally agree!! Why is this? Maybe because you finally start to realize how precious life and it’s many moments are.

 

Like when someone says something kind or performs an act of kindness, when you watch a kid try their absolute hardest at something, during a monumental moment (i.e. when you hear someone is engaged, or pregnant, or when Lamar Jackson’s name was finally called for the draft, lol), etc. I just choked up reading Hoops5 post above.

Agree with both you and @cammando. Does this mean we are weaker in our old(er) age?

 

I often get choked up when I hear the national anthem or sometimes when saying the Pledge in my classroom in the mornings.

 

To answer my own question from above, I don't think that it makes us weaker. I think that it's a result of us being more appreciative of things.

I'm not trying to cast stones, but I personally think crying over a race car driver who professionally drives a vehicle at 200mph in close proximity to other vehicles is stupid stuff. Race car drivers have a career that constantly risks death to a high degree, and Earnhardt died. That's how I see that, and I don't understand crying over that for even a second.

 

To each their own. Who cares why anyone else cries? Let them cry if they want to. It's not any of anyone's business why or why not, and it's not hurting you if someone else is crying.

I'm with @archangel on this one. I, too, cried when Dale Earnhardt died. He meant a lot to me personally. Just because someone is in a dangerous career doesn't mean that if they die doing that, that crying isn't a natural reaction. I have multiple students serving in the military right now, stationed in dangerous places and doing dangerous jobs. If (Lord protect them) something were to happen to one of them, I'd certainly cry my eyes out. Likely for days. Yet, they chose a dangerous career.

 

I'm going to give a somewhat different example. For those of you that have been around for awhile, you will remember Alabama Larry. I never once met Larry in person, but I felt like that I knew him personally and when he passed away, it hurt. Without ever meeting him, he made an impact on my life. That's why ol' TB&G will always have the Alabama avatar photo.

 

The connection there is that, in a different way, Dale Earnhardt made an impact on my life, too. His loss was painful.

Seems like a thread worthy of a little bit of soundtrackin' here and there, whadda ya say?

 

Okay, mentally weak works too for them.

 

Also, another way to view both these types (frequent criers and overly angry people) might be "unstable" as well.

I think that if you are using crying as a way to manipulate a situation or manipulate others, then that’s kind of unstable.

Seems like a thread worthy of a little bit of soundtrackin' here and there, whadda ya say?

 

 

I’ll be seeing him in September.

I don't care about why people cry that is a personal emotion. It's the where and when that can be problem for me.

Nothing wrong with stressing over it. Crying is another story IMO, unless they completely fail out of school when they tried their best. I can see that, they'd feel their future is wrecked. Crying before they even get a grade or when they know they can still correct it? Sorry, I just don't get it.

 

I can think about a LOT of high-stress scenarios that would easily lend toward it:

 

You need a certain GPA to get into a certain grad school or college program, your GPA is dangerously close to it and you're about to take a REALLY hard exam....or you just took the exam and it was a ball-buster.

 

My wife took more than a few exams in med school that would make or break her final grade in the particular class she was taking...and if you get below a C in a class in med school, you don't get to repeat the class the next year, you repeat the entire year of med school. So failing a class would have meant she would have put us out of $53,000.00 ...I could see that making someone cry over an exam.

 

I'm terrible at physics. I'm great at math, but God-awful at physics. I HAD to take physics for my degree. I took it the first time, worked my rear end off and failed. Took it over again (you only get one shot at taking a core-curriculum class over in college), and going into the final I was two grade points below the minimum required grade to get the credit. I walked out of the exam feeling like I'd just failed the class and was going to have to find a new degree to start over in as a result. Admittedly, I didn't cry, but I wouldn't have ever blamed someone in those same shoes if they had.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.