Why isn't lacrosse a KHSAA sport?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enough school teams to make it competitive. Keeping the club status allows for more wiggle room for the teams. Sport just isnt big enough yet. Give it another 6-8 years and might be a different story.

Yep. Moving to a KHSAA sport would limit opportunities in scheduling, as I believe many of these teams play other clubs, or are made up of kids from multiple schools.

I'm kind of surprised that lacrosse hasn't gained more traction here in NKY.

I'm kind of surprised that lacrosse hasn't gained more traction here in NKY.

I believe there was less interest in the most recent survey than there was on the last survey three years ago.

Expense is a problem. Finding people to coach is a problem. Field availability and equipment is a problem. And bottom line, the game is just now gaining a foothold in the cities/suburban areas and it will be some time before it is a rural sport. I'd love to see it take hold but I'm of the same belief as @plantmanky that it will be at least a decade before the state sanctions lacrosse.

I believe there was less interest in the most recent survey than there was on the last survey three years ago.

Expense is a problem. Finding people to coach is a problem. Field availability and equipment is a problem. And bottom line, the game is just now gaining a foothold in the cities/suburban areas and it will be some time before it is a rural sport. I'd love to see it take hold but I'm of the same belief as @plantmanky that it will be at least a decade before the state sanctions lacrosse.

I understand all the issues you mention working against Lacrosse. While I don't think lack of fields are an issue (play on the football field which is not being used in the spring), I've seen it explode quickly in other states, who face all the same issues. I've seen states that grew from a handful of teams to almost every school participating in a few years. And I'm not sure that the rural areas of KY, especially the small schools, will be able to build teams. There simply aren't enough students. But I'm surprised an area such as NKY that has larger schools, and proximity to Ohio, where there are plenty of teams, and possible coaches and youth leagues, hasn't already embraced the sport. It's fast paced, physical, has large teams with plenty of playing time available. I know it competes with baseball, but baseball is rapidly becoming a very exclusive sport with super high costs, and the death of community based teams. Not everybody plays baseball anymore. Soccer has picked up a lot of those kids, but I would think there's plenty left for lacrosse.

A few years ago a lacrosse father told me that it cost about $400 to outfit a player. Is that amount anywhere near correct? Do most schools have the kid's family pay for it or does the school take care of it?

A few years ago a lacrosse father told me that it cost about $400 to outfit a player. Is that amount anywhere near correct? Do most schools have the kid's family pay for it or does the school take care of it?

Sounds right. I worked in the sporting good business over 20 years ago in an area where Lacrosse was pretty big (southeastern PA). Players need a helmet ($75+), shoulder pads&gloves ($150+), a stick ($50+) and cleats ($50+). Throw in uniforms and, conservatively, $400 sounds about right on the low end. I'm guessing though, most would spend more. I'm not sure how much schools provide. I'm for certain kids are buying their own sticks and cleats. I would think with concussion issues, schools would likely be providing and reconditioning helmets to insure they met standards. Regardless, as was said before, it's not a cheap sport to play.

Georgia started with 20 sanctioned schools 18 years ago and now we're over 100 teams. The club option at the moment is probably better for Kentucky for the reasons already stated but if you offer it up as a sanctioned sport you'll see it grow faster. Just my opinion.

Why isn't cheerleading an NCAA sport? I'm guessing the answer to this is the same as it is to everything else.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Too bad you can’t count it for title ix money.