Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Yahoo Reveals Three Kentucky Players in FBI Documents

Featured Replies

Okay, so pretending for a second that what you're proposing was legal in this country, which the Supreme Court has said it isn't, let's look at an example. So let's say all of the money generated by Xavier Men's Basketball was kept within the program and the players shared the profits after coaches, scholarships, travel, scouting budgets, etc. That means the other 230 student athletes at Xavier would cease to exist. None of those sports could cover themselves for one day, so they'd be gone. So now instead of graduating 230 former student athletes, who by and large become far more successful adults than regular students, you graduate only 12 really wealthy basketball players. So now those 230 kids can't afford to go there, so Xavier loses them, which means you have to cut faculty and services (230 x $40,000 x 4 years is a lot).

 

You think that model, extrapolated across 350 D-1 schools, is the right answer? At most schools football would be example, not hoops, but the net result to the school is the same -- or far worse.

 

Again, if your suggestion was even legal, which Title IX prevents. Paying the QB, and not the libero, won't fly.

Using Xavier as an example if someone wants to give Trevon Bluiett some money he should be allowed to accept it while still being able to play. The changes I want to see are extremely drastic and probably would require some changes in legislation. At the bare minimum I’d like to see college players be able to capitalize on their likeness. Sell Bluiett Jersey’s in the Xavier bookstore and give him a cut of the profit. Let him be able to sell his autograph.
  • Replies 190
  • Views 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a third time, what would your issue be with agents deciding what a player is worth after they sign with a school ?

 

It really is a whole different topic, has nothing to do with the schools, but would require a ton of changes in the law. I don't know what point it is solving, but if you feel strongly about using agents to pay them, just have them all go Pro right away.

It really is a whole different topic, has nothing to do with the schools, but would require a ton of changes in the law. I don't know what point it is solving, but if you feel strongly about using agents to pay them, just have them all go Pro right away.

 

I'd love for them to go pro right away. However, that is a rule that the universities have no control over. That one is on the NBA.

Here’s a serious question with regards to Title IX. I was on full scholarship in college. I was able to go out and earn money while there. The basketball players on full scholarships weren’t. How is that on the up and up but athletes earning their worth isn’t?

Another thought. Why would the university be the one to pay these athletes? If Bob is on scholarship for tennis at XYZ university and is able to land a $1,000 a month sponsorship from Wilson, good on Bob. If Jim at the same university is on scholarship for baseball and is able to earn $75,000 a year in sponsorships from Rawlings and an agent who feels he could make the bigs, seems like the free market at work. :idunno:

Using Xavier as an example if someone wants to give Trevon Bluiett some money he should be allowed to accept it while still being able to play. The changes I want to see are extremely drastic and probably would require some changes in legislation. At the bare minimum I’d like to see college players be able to capitalize on their likeness. Sell Bluiett Jersey’s in the Xavier bookstore and give him a cut of the profit. Let him be able to sell his autograph.

Let Mr. Bluiett earn as much as he can from his basketball ability and all that goes with it. My question is, Is it truly the place of a university to be involved with his business enterprise? I can't see the nexus.

Here’s a serious question with regards to Title IX. I was on full scholarship in college. I was able to go out and earn money while there. The basketball players on full scholarships weren’t. How is that on the up and up but athletes earning their worth isn’t?

 

Athletes can earn money in College in jobs. They all make money in the summer working camps. They also getting stipends for spending money from the school, did you get spending / grocery money from the Dean? I doubt it.

I’m not advocating paying everyone I’m a fan of people being able to make what others feel they are worth. The idea of amateurism is my biggest flaw with the system. Amateurism isn’t fair.

 

But nobody is making these kids play college sports. They sign the dotted line.

Athletes can earn money in College in jobs. They all make money in the summer working camps. They also getting stipends for spending money from the school, did you get spending / grocery money from the Dean? I doubt it.

 

I received all my food for free and received a check from NKU each semester.

Title IX is holding for you on the pink courtesy phone.

 

Pay them too. They should be paid for their services as well. Not even sure why that would be a hiccup.

Let Mr. Bluiett earn as much as he can from his basketball ability and all that goes with it. My question is, Is it truly the place of a university to be involved with his business enterprise? I can't see the nexus.

You dont think the university would make more money selling jerseys with Bluiett or Macura on the back than they would a jersey with just 5 or 55 on the back?

But nobody is making these kids play college sports. They sign the dotted line.

What’s the alternative. Go to a foreign country and play? I’m not sure that’s a real alternative for most kids. Going off largely on your own is not an alternative.

Wow, so who is the next Arizona coach?

Yikes. Definitely glad he didn’t jump to OSU now.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.