Covington Holy Cross 69 Holmes 63 (35th District Semifinal)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unofficial stats from Holy Cross Radio. Holy Cross missed 12 free throws but made them in last minute to hold off the Bulldogs.

HC 23 11 15 20 - 69

Holmes 16 12 15 20 - 63

HC-

Niehaus 21

Schrand 19

Zimmerman 9

Wahl 8

Knochelman 6

Gonzalez 6

Holmes -

Race 15

Saxon13

Gather 11

Miller 8

Commodore 7

Sterling 5

Pouncy 4

Free Throws

HC 22/34 = 65%

Holmes 13/21 = 62%

Holmes couldn't quite get over the hump in the second half. They made a couple of runs but couldn't get any closer than 3, I believe.

They had some chances, but would turn the ball over or force a shot, miss a defensive assignment or miss a couple of free throws.

Race hit a big three and got fouled to pull Holmes within three, but missed the foul shot. It was 52-49 at that point. Both teams trade baskets and Niehaus hits a quick three and its 57-51 and Holmes couldn't get any closer.

Holmes didn't press much and that allowed HC to spread the floor and probe the defense, plus kill clock. Niehaus had a nice all around game and controlled the ball in crunch time.

Congrats to Coach Listerman on a great career and for having a huge impact on players and students that he interacted with over the years.

Best of luck to Holy Cross in the region.

After trailing early 5-2, the Indians went on a 13-0 run to go up 15-5 and never trailed in the game after that point. Like the previous post indicated, the Bulldogs got it to 3 in the 4th quarter, but would never get any closer. Holy Cross took care of the ball in the last 2 minutes and made enough free throws to seal it.

Holmes did their usual it seems, get down early and claw there way back into the game. But Holy Cross was not to be denied, some big free throws down the stretch by Andrew Wahl and Schrand, this was truly a team effort win, some nice minutes off the bench by Gonzalez. But for my pick Jordan Niehaus was the player of the game for the Indians, young man was solid all night. I didn't see the votes for coach of the year but Coach Shrand should have got some votes, solid coaching job this year. Sure will miss Coach Listerman, class act.

Holmes did their usual it seems, get down early and claw there way back into the game. But Holy Cross was not to be denied, some big free throws down the stretch by Andrew Wahl and Schrand, this was truly a team effort win, some nice minutes off the bench by Gonzalez. But for my pick Jordan Niehaus was the player of the game for the Indians, young man was solid all night. I didn't see the votes for coach of the year but Coach Shrand should have got some votes, solid coaching job this year. Sure will miss Coach Listerman, class act.

Coach Schrand has taken a lot of shots from some people on here and elsewhere. He has made 3 straight regional tournaments and both sons will finish with over 1K points. Pretty good hire IMO.

AllSport71 your recap of the game is spot on.

SSC - In my opinion, you have to give the Holy Cross coaching staff and players a lot of credit for keeping this team together after a few kids transferred after last year. The seniors have clearly led the way on the court this season and have been the reason for the success they have had and now are making a third straight trip to the regional tournament. I know there were more than a few posters on this site who predicted this Holy Cross team to not win 5 games this year and be the worst HC team ever. Sitting at 13 wins these players and coaches deserve a lot of credit.