Thoughts About Kroger Field for State Championship

Didn't want to have to do the long drive from Franklin but I must admit it was better than WKU in my opinion.

But hey I got to spend the day wth my brother and nephew that I don't get to see nearly enough which made FS's win even better.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care for it myself, 4+ hour drive for some teams, practically home game for others, not enough rest rooms open, buy tickets one one side of field, blocking off a whole MIDDLE section for resevrved over priced tickets, stadium to big for state high school football.

Don't care for it myself, 4+ hour drive for some teams, practically home game for others, not enough rest rooms open, buy tickets one one side of field, blocking off a whole MIDDLE section for resevrved over priced tickets, stadium to big for state high school football.

Only a longer drive to Kroger field for 2 teams out of the 12 participating. Mayfield and Franklin Simpson. Every year at least 3-4 mountain teams have to drive 4+ hours to Bowling Green while others drive hour or less. No one place will ever be fair to all but this year is the first time that it was closer for over 80% of teams playing.

1A

Beechwood

Kroger field 78 miles 1 hour drive

WKU 216 miles 3 hour drive

Raceland

Kroger field 121 miles 2 hour drive

WKU 281 miles 4 hours

End result Kroger field closer for both teams.

2A

Danville

Kroger field 35 miles less than hour away

WKU 139 miles away 2 hours

Mayfield

Kroger field 266 miles away 4 hour drive

WKU 159 miles 2 hours

End result split Kroger field closer for Danville and WKU closer for Mayfield.

3A

Boyle county

Corbin

Both is closer to Kroger field

4A

Johnson Central

Closer to Kroger field

Franklin Simpson

Closer to WKU

End result split however Johnson Central made the trip to Bowling green last year to play Franklin Simpson so only fair they switched this year.

5A

Madison Southern

Closer to Kroger field

Covington Catholic

Closer to Kroger field

Both closer to Kroger field

6A

Trinity

Closer to Kroger field

St. X

Closer to Kroger field

Both closer to Kroger field by over 50 miles.

Out of the 12 teams participating only 2 are closer to WKU. Had the finals been in bowling green this year then 10/12 would have long trips then they did by having the finals in Lexington. Overall smart decision in my opinion.

I think it was a great decision to move it. Much closer for 90% of the teams, which has lead to record attendance.

Parking was great- no issues there- loved that it was included with ticket.

Ticket prices- yeah they were high and I complained but it was worth it with the saved gas and included parking.

I splurged on the $25 tickets for three of us (two wanted general to sit with friends). My daughter loved being able to sit inside and relax and watch the game on tv since football isn't her thing. That made it worth it to me, didn't have to worry about her the whole game. Plus the seats were comfortable!

Concession lines weren't long when I used them. They did seem inexperienced.

Bathrooms are a complaint to me. I went to two that were closed before I found one open on third try. Not good.

I also took advantage of the live video Friday night and it was amazing as well.

I hope it stays here! There are a few things they can improve but it was the first year.

I thought it was a great site for games. The attendance records helped prove that. I pulled straight into orange lot yesterday then walked right into gate 9 only 150 yards away. Lots cleared out pretty smooth and fast. Would like to see a cleaning crew hit restrooms!! A young kid had to go #2 but all toilets were disgusting and he was crying to his dad. Felt bad for them. Such a beautiful stadium!!

UK should have cleaned the bleachers after the UL game.

I thought it was a great site for games. The attendance records helped prove that. I pulled straight into orange lot yesterday then walked right into gate 9 only 150 yards away. Lots cleared out pretty smooth and fast. Would like to see a cleaning crew hit restrooms!! A young kid had to go #2 but all toilets were disgusting and he was crying to his dad. Felt bad for them. Such a beautiful stadium!!

It appears there is room for improvement on several fronts. But not having a clean facility is inexcusable. Did no one do a site inspection a couple of days prior to the weekend? Why no cleanup by maintenance/housekeeping before, during and after the games (especially since so many restrooms were closed)?

Restrooms are a big deal, especially for families with little ones. I hate hearing stories like this. What a terrible experience to take away from what should have been a great day.

I wonder if the high attendance caught the KHSAA and facility people off guard, particularly in relation to concession stands and restrooms. Perhaps they staffed it based on lower projected attendance. If so, that is an easy fix and an understandable problem in the first year of the championships at Kroger Field.

I wonder if the high attendance caught the KHSAA and facility people off guard, particularly in relation to concession stands and restrooms. Perhaps they staffed it based on lower projected attendance. If so, that is an easy fix and an understandable problem in the first year of the championships at Kroger Field.

Well said, and well ... VoReasonable. :thumb:

Hoping everyone involved project for future growth, and staff accordingly. Fair amount of positives to take away from the weekend too.