#5 Christian Academy-Louisville at #3 Mayfield (2A State Semifinals)

MayfieldMan

Who Wins??  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins??

• Mayfield
    • Christian Academy- Louisville

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayfield tackling has always been taught like this. Every man to the ball. If that happens then I don't know a RB anywhere that can break loose from all 11 men. Now if it is 1 on 1 then obviously the better athlete wins. If Mayfield swarms to ball as they suppose to then very few yards rushing for the opponent.

Yes, I understand the concept of 11 hats to the football. The mark of a good, solid defense is making one on one tackles. It shouldn't take 5 defenders to bring a guy down. I just think thats been a trend with MF this year. Yes, I agree they do a good job swarming the ball.

I was impressed with Mayfields team speed from their front 7 last week. Although our running back broke a few initial tackles he had 3 or 4 guys right there swarming. Not sure how big CAL is this year, last year they were very very good upfront, so can't speak on that but if Mayfield can keep balance offensively I like them in this one. Like all matches with good teams at this time of year, the team that can win the turnover margin and control the line of scrimmage (which I think Mayfield will not dominate this but will hold their own) will win this game. I think Mayfield gets revenge this year and we get to see a Mayfield-Danville state championship game. Mayfield 27 CAL 21

The difference in last week's game with O Cath was Mayfield's DEFENSE. I prognosticate based on what I see and the Mayfield D has been the difference all year. Say what you want about running backs, 2 QB's, receivers... The difference is D for the Cards. 38.3 points per game was OC's average on offense going into last Friday's game and big red held them to 7. The Aces had a bit over 100 yards passing and were below zero on their running game... for the game. What was the Williams kid averaging? Anyway, I know CAL is a different animal but it's still an animal. Our team just has to cut off it's oxygen. Safe travels to all involved. Mayfield by 20.

The difference in last week's game with O Cath was Mayfield's DEFENSE. I prognosticate based on what I see and the Mayfield D has been the difference all year. Say what you want about running backs, 2 QB's, receivers... The difference is D for the Cards. 38.3 points per game was OC's average on offense going into last Friday's game and big red held them to 7. The Aces had a bit over 100 yards passing and were below zero on their running game... for the game. What was the Williams kid averaging? Anyway, I know CAL is a different animal but it's still an animal. Our team just has to cut off it's oxygen. Safe travels to all involved. Mayfield by 20.

I would be more confident if MF were shutting down prolific offenses. I thought their performance against Corbin was great (except for the encroachment penalties and the two 40 yard TDs). They just couldn't score in that game. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to see Mayfield win it all. I will be there Friday night for sure. Gonna be a great one.

I would be more confident if MF were shutting down prolific offenses. I thought their performance against Corbin was great (except for the encroachment penalties and the two 40 yard TDs). They just couldn't score in that game. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to see Mayfield win it all. I will be there Friday night for sure. Gonna be a great one.

It's going to be tough no doubt. In sure CAL fans will probably say the same about MF. With the right game plan though they can be beat. Only thing I worry about is can our young players handle the pressure of every snap counting, keeping a bend not break mindset, and staying discipline on defense? My senior year we had alot of young guys and we got banged up early in the season but as the season progressed we got better and beat a couple teams that we weren't supposedly capable of beating according the local sports writers. Coach Joe and them guys had a great game plan and it worked out both games. That's why I say as long as there is a great game plan put in place and the players can handle being in the moment, they have great odds in advancing.

Edited by dt812005
Gram

I had a lot of questions going into this season especially after losing a star qb, rb, and a couple of lb’s and many more. This team has come a long way and has been very impressive to say the least.

I look for us to come out and continue to play smash mouth football and take care of business. CAL is no doubt a great team. We will see how this long bus ride plays out for them.

With this game being at home for the cardinals I definitely like our chances. Safe travels to the CAL players and fans. See y’all Fri at good ole War Memorial Stadium where only CARDINALS get out alive!

Wow. I missed a few days and things got really interesting on the 2A threads. So... this game should be epic. A few thoughts from a neutral party....

1. CAL definitely played in a hostile environment last week where the crowd is literally right on top of you.

2. Each team has one big advantage - Mayfield's is that they don't have to travel. The home team has won this meeting each year that their opponent has had to make the long trip. CAL's advantage is the same one they always have - they have the best player on the field by a considerable margin. Which one of those wins out? We'll see.

3. CAL is filled with swagger. Not just during the game, but before the game. I was close by when Mayfield came on to the field last year at CAL. CAL was doing a lot of woofin' and nothing would surprise me in the pre-game on Friday.

4. CAL's defense is extremely physical. The guys I was sitting with last week were commenting on how hard they were hitting, even when DeSales was moving the ball in the first half. They were laying the wood - rib injury ended the night for our best RB in the first quarter and shoulder injury to the QB in the third quarter.

Should be a barn burner Friday night!

Edited by theguru
Rule 12